2020 Magnetic ST Ordered | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Magnetic ST Ordered

Awesome, Thanks for the pictures!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Magnetic looks great in those pics, love the contrast with the blacked out trim.

Just needs a little tire shine lol... and front windows tinted to match.

For those keeping score, I just noticed that the invoice date on mine with a build date of 5/21 flipped to 6/25/19, it had been stuck at 5/8 and without the EPA mileage. Now it has the EPA mileage. Hopefully (and it's just hope) that means mine will be on one of the next trucks to Columbus.

Also, because I have a bad case of OCD, I've been able to track Explorers on the Cassens site bound for Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and some Michigan destinations. I'm not sure if they ship beyond that for the Explorer. I just try to find the biggest Ford dealer in each major metropolitan area, then look them up on Cassens, then check their deliveries.

Ford has finally released your car. It is now in the shippers hands waiting to leave the plant.

There is no ETA yet in the system.

Awaiting Shipment - Released Ford Chicago Assembly, IL Jul-08-2019, 00:00 EDT

Ford has finally released your car. It is now in the shippers hands waiting to leave the plant.

There is no ETA yet in the system.

Awaiting Shipment - Released Ford Chicago Assembly, IL Jul-08-2019, 00:00 EDT

Thanks - Cassens seems to be struggling getting these vehicles shipped. The earliest build date I've seen them ship is 6/4 and the latest 6/15 and they really aren't shipping that many loads out. I suppose there could be other factors in play like maybe it is buried behind cars going via other shippers or Ford builds in some sort of geographic order but neither of those really make sense to me. It's probably just that Cassens can't handle the surge (and they had to go through a drought while the plant was shutdown for a couple of months).

It has to be driving some bean counters somewhere crazy that there are these units ready to ship and they can't get them out and sold.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Cassens to ship it now that it is released.

Thanks - Cassens seems to be struggling getting these vehicles shipped. The earliest build date I've seen them ship is 6/4 and the latest 6/15 and they really aren't shipping that many loads out. I suppose there could be other factors in play like maybe it is buried behind cars going via other shippers or Ford builds in some sort of geographic order but neither of those really make sense to me. It's probably just that Cassens can't handle the surge (and they had to go through a drought while the plant was shutdown for a couple of months).

It has to be driving some bean counters somewhere crazy that there are these units ready to ship and they can't get them out and sold.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Cassens to ship it now that it is released.

Would you please check my status 1FM5K8GCXLGA27096, build date was 6/26/19. Cannot get dealer updates. Thank You!

I stopped by my dealer on a whim and they had just off loaded my Explorer an hour ago. They said they could have it ready this evening, so I will be trolling the Ford site for that private cash offer while I wait, lol

I stopped by my dealer on a whim and they had just off loaded my Explorer an hour ago. They said they could have it ready this evening, so I will be trolling the Ford site for that private cash offer while I wait, lol

If you get an offer, you won't be able to claim it for up to 48 hours. The offer takes a day or two to load in Smart Vincent for the dealer to claim it. You'd have to put off taking delivery till most likely Sunday.

If you get an offer, you won't be able to claim it for up to 48 hours. The offer takes a day or two to load in Smart Vincent for the dealer to claim it. You'd have to put off taking delivery till most likely Sunday.

Ok can you please tell me about these private cash offers.

Brian

Well, I decided to take delivery today because I just couldn’t wait. The dealer did a great job with the delivery experience. They gave me some tips on how to get private cash offers which I will share tomorrow because I am tired.

I will give my first impressions now and keep in mind, I have been driving a 2011 Explorer for 8 years, almost to the day.

It had 50 miles on it when it arrived, just like the other ST they got in a couple of days ago. They had to perform a seat belt recall before I could take delivery, but they knocked it out quickly.

As a reminder, I got a Magnetic ST with the street pack and tech pack. I am glad I got the bigger screen (and the massaging seats which are awesome) I know the larger screen looks awkward in many of the pictures, but it is fine and not in the way.

This vehicle is a substantial upgrade from the 2011. The sync 3 system is intuitive and responsive. The adaptive cruise control with stop and go is way better than the 2011 system. The lane centering is nice, but will take me a little while to trust, but you still have to keep your hands on the steering wheel anyway, but it does give you a nice grace period before it nags you.

The speed limit sign recognition was spot on, but I didn’t get a chance to try it in construction zones.

The feel of the steering wheel is great and the vehicle handles nicely. I feel like Ford did a good job balancing performance vs comfort on the ST suspension. I didn’t really peg the throttle and I was mostly driving around in normal mode and was a little underwhelmed at first, but I popped it into sport mode and used the paddle shifters and wow, you just couldn’t wipe the smile off my face.

Lots of little details that I will get into later that help make this a substantial upgrade.

It’s also very quiet, unless you are ripping through the gears in sport mode.

I love the digital dashboard display.

In the past, I have always bought black cars, and I reluctantly decided to go with magnetic. The black STs look nice, but the magnetic was definitely the right call for me. I have received multiple compliments already.

I will post more this weekend as I learn more.

I just want to thank many of the members on this forum for sharing their knowledge, I have learned a ton and will continue to monitor the forum.

Edit: I am looking at the pictures on my monitor and they just don't do the color justice, it looks way better in person (maybe I need a better monitor?)

639FBED3-9E88-47AD-87B6-A100DDE52110.jpeg

C5AED12D-EAB4-4D3D-871C-34BBD49E27FD.jpeg

4B0F89FA-C6E7-4211-AEE1-DDE9DA06031C.jpeg

FA22B083-5A4F-4AD9-A06C-DD65D4186103.jpeg

8349E8C6-69B3-4854-B52D-78B317887867.jpeg

Congrats on the new ST!

If you remember, mine was one of the first cars you tracked on the Cassens site. I took delivery on 7/1 so been driving it about 10 days now. I just posted a 700 mile review in the Stock 2020 discussion group. I have many of the same thoughts as you.

Good luck exploring all the new features and congrats again.

Congrats on the new ST!

If you remember, mine was one of the first cars you tracked on the Cassens site. I took delivery on 7/1 so been driving it about 10 days now. I just posted a 700 mile review in the Stock 2020 discussion group. I have many of the same thoughts as you.

Good luck exploring all the new features and congrats again.

Thanks, and yes, I remember being jealous of you! I can't believe you have 700 miles on it already, I'll read your review right now!

Looks really sharp. I too ordered mine in Magnetic but mine has a sunroof.

Congrats that it is finally here!! Love the 3rd pic. The light, dark and shading looks amazing!

Will have to show my wife when she wakes up. I'm going to steal that pic and post it for the guy who was tracking it for me/you.

can you check something for me. When you go into the massaging seats, if it is like the Lincoln I was looking at, you have 2 options at the top. One shows you 5 rows across the seat and you can hit the plus/minus on each row to adjust the air pressure in the seat (shoulders, lower back, butt, upper thigh, lower thigh). Then the other is your massage tab and if you hit that, that's when it massages you.

Can you just confirm that is how it works too in the Explorer? Trying to see if it is the same system or if the Lincoln is a step up.

Thanks!!

Congrats that it is finally here!! Love the 3rd pic. The light, dark and shading looks amazing!

Will have to show my wife when she wakes up. I'm going to steal that pic and post it for the guy who was tracking it for me/you.

can you check something for me. When you go into the massaging seats, if it is like the Lincoln I was looking at, you have 2 options at the top. One shows you 5 rows across the seat and you can hit the plus/minus on each row to adjust the air pressure in the seat (shoulders, lower back, butt, upper thigh, lower thigh). Then the other is your massage tab and if you hit that, that's when it massages you.

Can you just confirm that is how it works too in the Explorer? Trying to see if it is the same system or if the Lincoln is a step up.

Thanks!!

I think there are only three positions where you can adjust the pressure along the back of the seat. There don’t appear to be thigh settings, which I find odd since the bladders are clearly there for the massage. I have attached some screen shots, but the when you toggle through the massage settings, it adds a little animation showing the massage pattern for what you have selected. I think these seats, especially with the massage will be much more comfortable for long trips.

BE27C4D8-E0E7-47E6-A9B1-4252D420EE07.jpeg

1F249E3D-BD87-48B0-A3BD-22A07B770D3B.jpeg

BAB45EFE-5654-4F40-A798-2375D8A98E90.jpeg

B2D3F37E-56AC-435C-B60D-E3F2F1BFA3EB.jpeg

Well that is a damn shame. The Lincoln had two in the bottom. For me, it is my legs that get antsy and uncomfortable during long drives and that's where the massaging would help over the upper back (wtf)...

Well that is a damn shame. The Lincoln had two in the bottom. For me, it is my legs that get antsy and uncomfortable during long drives and that's where the massaging would help over the upper back (wtf)...
I believe the Aviator allows you to extend the cushion to some degree for more thigh support. Did you happen to notice if the Nautilus has that feature as well?

Peter

I believe the Aviator allows you to extend the cushion to some degree for more thigh support. Did you happen to notice if the Nautilus has that feature as well?

Peter

Yes it does, I haven't seen it but I think the Aviator is going to be like the Navigator where there is an extension for each leg independently. The nautilus is not independent so the whole center of the seat extends out as one. It goes out about 3-4+ inches from when I was playing with it.

Thank you. I had that feature on my '09 Highlander and really miss it. The Nautilus is on my short list.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me know if I should start a new thread with driving impressions but for now, I will dump my random observations on day 2 here:

1) Love the rotary shift knob - didn't think I would like it, but it's super easy, doesn't take up as much space, and automatically drops vehicle into park when you turn it off (or even open a door when the vehicle is stopped I think).
2) Love the auto hold feature that you can enable with a button push - with auto hold enabled, the vehicle will remain stopped until you hit the gas pedal. I like this while waiting at lights, etc.
3) The auto start/stop doesn't bother me like I thought it would. Restarts are quick and smooth, but the engine doesn't remain off for long with the air conditioning on.
4) Love the use of LED lighting everywhere in the interior (except for the vanity mirror lights, I think those might still be incandescent).
5) Love the feel of the steering wheel
6) Love the 360 degree view and parking sensors. I wasn't paying attention a couple of days ago and rammed my 2011 into the garage wall slightly denting the drywall. That never would have happened in the 2020.
7) Love, love, love the adaptive cruise control with speed sign recognition - the adaptive cruise with stop and go seems to behave much better than my 2011. I pretty much have it on all the time, even when driving through town. I'm not as thrilled with the lane centering, sometimes it zigs and zags more than I would like, but perhaps my expectations were too high for that. I still leave it on, because it doesn't fight you when you put your own steering inputs in.
8) Love the seats, they feel much better and I think the massaging seats will make a big difference for long trips.
9) Love Sync 3 over the 2011 MFT.
10) The FordPass app is pretty cool, I can start the car from anywhere, locate it, check the oil life, see individual tire pressures, etc.
11) Had problems pairing the garage door opener to my garage door - the instructions in the owners manual didn't work, but those instructions refer you to the homelink site for troubleshooting. There, I typed in make/model/year of vehicle and model of garage door opener and those instructions worked first try.
12) Not sure how I feel about the default view of the backup camera. It splits the top half of the tablet into camera view and sensor view, leaving the bottom part of the screen mostly unused. You can change it so that the backup view is bigger, but as far as I can tell, you have to change it each time.
13) Even though it's just a novelty, I love the ST projection lamps on the side mirrors. I get a kick every time of seeing that bold red ST projected on to the ground.

My dealer is pretty excited about the Explorer ST. They don't think they will be able to keep them on the lot for long. Some people won't want to lay down that much money for an ST when they could pick up a nicely equipped XLT for a lot cheaper, but the ST certainly is a treat if you are willing to spend for it.

Back