• Register Today It's free!

2020 Off-Road Experiences

Jons2020XT

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Fe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Subaru
I am interested in experiences taking any model of the 2020 off road. I hope/assume that it is at least as good as the Outback even though it has about 1/2 inch less ground clearance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure the Explorer has a longer wheelbase which can negatively affect off-road use under certain conditions.

Peter

I am interested in experiences taking any model of the 2020 off road. I hope/assume that it is at least as good as the Outback even though it has about 1/2 inch less ground clearance.
One quick follow up to this. when I look at the specs is says 7.9 to 8.3 inches for ground clearance. Is this unloaded vs. Loaded?

One quick follow up to this. when I look at the specs is says 7.9 to 8.3 inches for ground clearance. Is this unloaded vs. Loaded?
The specs sheet I have shows ground clearance for the Base, XLT, Limited as being 7.9" and Platinum 8.2". The ST is 8.3". I would think that those measurements would be 'unloaded'.

Peter

The specs sheet I have shows ground clearance for the Base, XLT, Limited as being 7.9" and Platinum 8.2". The ST is 8.3". I would think that those measurements would be 'unloaded'.

Peter
Thanks very much. It is interesting that the one you would think is least trail-worthy has the most ground clearance - though not by much.

Thanks very much. It is interesting that the one you would think is least trail-worthy has the most ground clearance - though not by much.
I believe in the 5th gen, the Sport was the lowest of the group.

Peter

Yeah seems odd that the ST may have MORE clearance vs the others as it SHOULD be the lowest. Stock Outbacks have 8.7" of clearance.

Yeah seems odd that the ST may have MORE clearance vs the others as it SHOULD be the lowest. Stock Outbacks have 8.7" of clearance.
Yes, I will be trading an Outback for the Explorer and live in a place where there are some pretty rough roads, so I wanted to make sure the ST is at least as good as the Outback, allowing for the .4 inch difference which is not much. The lower profile tires on the ST are a bit of an issue, but should be reasonably strong given the fact they put off-road modes on the vehicle. I don't plan on trying the Rubicon with this :)

Don't forget that the standard tire on the ST is the 255/55R20.

Peter

Don't forget that the standard tire on the ST is the 255/55R20.

Peter
I plan on getting the Street Pack so that lowers the profile a bit. I just went back to the Ford site for the build I am working on and beyond 21" rims, it does not specify tire size. Pretty poor documentation. Do you know what the 21s are?

I plan on getting the Street Pack so that lowers the profile a bit. I just went back to the Ford site for the build I am working on and beyond 21" rims, it does not specify tire size. Pretty poor documentation. Do you know what the 21s are?

275/45r21

275/45r21

Thanks very much. I found a way to calculate the tire sidewall height which I think is the thing that matters. Here are the results:
The ST with the Street Pack:
275/45r21
10.82677*.45= 4.8720

Standard ST
255/55R20.
10.039370*.55 =5.5216

As a point of comparison, the Subaru Outback is:
225/60 R18
8.858 *.65 = 5.7577

Said differently the STs side wall is about 1" or about 20% which will matter, but there are no free lunches. I won't even look at Jeep Grand Cherokee sizes :)

One additional question, though it is of broader interest than off-road or the ST. You can order the 2020 Explorer (I assume all models) with mud flaps.Has anyone done this? Do they make a difference?

One additional question, though it is of broader interest than off-road or the ST. You can order the 2020 Explorer (I assume all models) with mud flaps.Has anyone done this? Do they make a difference?

My original order had them but the one I bought did not. I would not get them personally. I've yet to see any type of tire spray on the sides of the vehicle and the fact that it is all plastic around the wheel wells... it will already prevent paint chipping.

Splash guards are an option that can be ordered for all trims. If ordered, they would be dealer installed. I had them on my 2011 but not on my 2017. They do help to a degree, mainly in Winter. I believe they had a minimal effect in keeping the rear window clean. Splash Guards

Peter

Splash guards are an option that can be ordered for all trims. If ordered, they would be dealer installed. I had them on my 2011 but not on my 2017. They do help to a degree, mainly in Winter. I believe they had a minimal effect in keeping the rear window clean. Splash Guards

Peter
My guess is that they were not helpful enough on the 2011 to be worth installing on the 2017. Correct?

My guess is that they were not helpful enough on the 2011 to be worth installing on the 2017. Correct?
That, and the fact that my salesman wasn't particularly in favour of them, pretty well sums it up. I lease my vehicles as well.

Peter

That, and the fact that my salesman wasn't particularly in favour of them, pretty well sums it up. I lease my vehicles as well.

Peter
Thanks, as you say, I could add them on at any time if I think they are important.

The Explorer is far from an off-road vehicle. A low front facia, long wheel-base, and low approach/departure angles suggest keeping it on pavement, or the occasional dirt road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer is far from an off-road vehicle. A low front facia, long wheel-base, and low approach/departure angles suggest keeping it on pavement, or the occasional dirt road.
No one has classified the 5th generation Explorer as an off-road vehicle but it does very well in light to moderate off-road as many articles/videos have shown. The front and rear overhangs have also been shortened on the 2020 model.

Peter

Back