2020 ST Oil Spec?

jadento

Reaction score
City, State
Odenton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
2020 ST 3.0 ecoboost.
Has anyone else noticed that the owners manual says to use 5W-20 vescosity oil and the oil fill cap says 5W-30? Which is it?

jadento

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Page 390 of the 2020 Explorer Owners Manual (2nd printing), you'll find the section on Capacities and Specifications for the 3.0L Ecoboost engine in your ST. Then, on Pages 392-393, you'll see that Ford specifies SAE 5W30 motor oil for the 3.0L engine. This is consistent with the info on the oil cap under the hood.

Perhaps you were looking at the motor-oil specs for the 3.3L engine? That's on Pages 400-401 of the Owners Manual, and Ford does specify 5W20 motor oil for that engine.

Perhaps, as that seems like a logical explination. I will have to double check. Thanks for the reply

On Page 390 of the 2020 Explorer Owners Manual (2nd printing), you'll find the section on Capacities and Specifications for the 3.0L Ecoboost engine in your ST. Then, on Pages 392-393, you'll see that Ford specifies SAE 5W30 motor oil for the 3.0L engine. This is consistent with the info on the oil cap under the hood.

Perhaps you were looking at the motor-oil specs for the 3.3L engine? That's on Pages 400-401 of the Owners Manual, and Ford does specify 5W20 motor oil for that engine.

My 2.3 EcoBoost oil cap also states 5w-30.
Quick question, not getting into anything about how often to change or what brand of oil , I just want to know is the Ford factory fill oil the Motorcraft synthetic blend or did they make it the Motorcraft full synthetic from the factory?

My 2.3 EcoBoost oil cap also states 5w-30.
Quick question, not getting into anything about how often to change or what brand of oil , I just want to know is the Ford factory fill oil the Motorcraft synthetic blend or did they make it the Motorcraft full synthetic from the factory?
Ive only ever heard of them coming with the blend from the factory, but im not 100% certain.

Have you seen the project farm oil tests on youtube? I mean any pure synthetic is better than not, but Pennzoil ultra platinum seems the best bang for the buck at least from his tests. Mobil1 is great as well i got 2 5qt jugs on clearance at tractor supply for like ~$13 each after joining their rewards program), and there is a new shell rotella gas truck that he also reviewed that looks solid. There are rebates now on Pennzoil where you get a $22 shell gas card with a 5qt purchase. Im of the mindset to bounce around a few solid choices based on rebates available for them.

Ford changed most of the oil requirements starting in 2019, so that the 2.7/3.0/3.5 EcoBoost engines all use the -B1 spec 5W-30 synth blend. Prior to 2019, especially on the car/SUVs, they specified the -A1 spec 5W-30. If you look at Pennzoil's conventional oils, their 5W-30 dino oil traditionally met the -A1 spec for engines like the 3.5 EcoBoost, but their synth blend 5W-30 meets the -B1 and Dexos 1 Gen 2. Bottom line: Dexos 1 Gen2 5W-30 for your ST.

But personally, I plan to switch out to a Dexos2 xW-40 synthetic or a xW-40 synthetic that has low enough calcium. Timing chain wear is a known issue on Ford engines, and the folks that ran xW-40 on their EcoBoost/Duratecs seemed to fare better.

I agree that the owner's manual makes it confusing because they don't seem to stick to one engine for the specs/capacities. It was split into several pages and reading the PDF it was often confusing. They should have just made a single chart listing the requirements by engine type.

For Explorers destined for the Canadian market, Ford still uses the regular SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil as it did with the 5th gen. Explorers.

Peter

The Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend gets very good analysis results on a popular and overly geeky oil forum. It is also available at Walmart for really reasonable price. I have changed my oil and used the Motorcraft synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter. After reading, the analysis results for full synthetic Castrol Magnatec are really good on the ecoboost engines as well. In my other vehicles (non Ford), I have always used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobil 1, but I think I will stick with Motorcraft blend or Magnatec on this engine.

Yea amazing how cheap in Walmart, you can literally get the 5 quart jug of the motorcraft synthetic blend for about 20 and even with the filter only costs you 25 for the oil change.

Yea amazing how cheap in Walmart, you can literally get the 5 quart jug of the motorcraft synthetic blend for about 20 and even with the filter only costs you 25 for the oil change.
I am sure that is great oil, but the pennzoil ultra platinum or Mobil one full synthetic is right around that same price at walmart (or amazon), so something to consider!

Anyone planning on using German/Belgium Castrol on their ExST? I've seen how much everyone raves about this oil on Bobistheoilguy, i'm thinking that after the first few services from ford, i'm going to go with this oil, good price at wally world for the 0w-40.

Back