5W 30 vs. 0W 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5W 30 vs. 0W 40

shon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi again guys, I know the oil recommended for an ST is the 5W 30 viscosity variant right? Here in the Philippines, that type is hard to find for one reason or another, there is an abundance of 0W 40 and 5W 40 oils, all synthetic at that, my question is, sould it be alright to use either 0W 40 or 5W 40 oil when I get an oil change? tanx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I've read somewhere that Ford is recommending 0W weights in some new vehicles. 0W makes me nervous!! I'm too old school for that. I'd personally go with the 5W40, especially considering you have no cold weather.

Hi again guys, I know the oil recommended for an ST is the 5W 30 viscosity variant right? Here in the Philippines, that type is hard to find for one reason or another, there is an abundance of 0W 40 and 5W 40 oils, all synthetic at that, my question is, sould it be alright to use either 0W 40 or 5W 40 oil when I get an oil change? tanx.

I would stick to a 30w oil.

straight 40 is thick stuff. I use to use it in a old Ranger because it liked to burn it. Old School trick;)

im suprised that there is so much 0w40 and 5w40 in the Philippines since that is usually a "european" weight. but Al is right, stick with a w30 something or other and you will be fine. i use 0w40 or 5w40 depending on whats on special in my Saab and have never had a problem, and a w30 something or other in the Explorer and its been fine as well.

Wow I've never even looked to buying or even thinking about using 0W, hard to grasp. Any benefits?

Wow I've never even looked to buying or even thinking about using 0W, hard to grasp. Any benefits?

Remember its only 0 at start up until the motor reaches operating temperature.

Advantage is gas mileage.

I think either 0w-40 or 5w-40 would be fine. It's not like it gets cold in the Philippines.
I use Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula in my Sport Trac. Mobil says it meets all warranty requirements for 5w-30 and 10w-30. The 5000 mile UOA was fine.

Advantage is gas mileage.

Never thought of that. Since I live in St. Pete we have the same weather conditions. I'll try a 5w first to see if it runs any different or gets better mileage.

I think I've read somewhere that Ford is recommending 0W weights in some new vehicles. 0W makes me nervous!! I'm too old school for that. I'd personally go with the 5W40, especially considering you have no cold weather.

Why be afraid of 0W? It just tells you that it's rated to MUCH lower temps. 0w30 is the same as 5w30 is the same as 10w30 at operating temps. It will just flow better when it gets REAL cold. Using a 0w in warmer climes hurts nothing. Aldive is an example of someone who uses Amsoil's flagship oil (Signature Series) and it's a 0w30. Have I mentioned he lives in Florida? On the flipside, I'm in Canada and use the same oil and we had a few very cold snaps this winter. My ride always fired right up and having 0w in the crankcase is the big reason why. I never let my car idle to warm it up even in the coldest -35C days. My ride is surprisingly responsive on those days right from the get go.

It's the 2nd # you should be looking at when comparing oils. i.e. 10w30 is less viscous than 10w40 and they flow identically at cold temps (i.e the "10" part).

So many people interpret oil ratings incorrectly and assume a 0w oil is "thin" when it's only thin at low temps when you need it most. If it's not cold out, it's just another 30 weight oil.

FWIW, Ford changed their rating from 5w30 in most vehicles to 5w20, hence a slightly thinner oil at operating temps but same viscosity in cold weather.

Cold weather starts. Otherwise 0w30 is identical to 5w30 and 10w30 once you get warmed up.

DOH! I really should have read the rest of the posts. What Al said.

Yeah, I know Ford recommends the light oil so it will lubricate the top end quicker on these OHC engines. ....and for mileage. And I do understand oil viscosity ...... just thick headed I guess!:)

thanks for all the reply guys, now my head is cleared up, Im no engine head, so thanks for the enlightenment.:thumbsup:

FWIW, Ford changed their rating from 5w30 in most vehicles to 5w20, hence a slightly thinner oil at operating temps but same viscosity in cold weather.
Know that the 4.0 SOHC is the only Ford engine that they do not and never have recommended 5w-20 for use in.

Know that the 4.0 SOHC is the only Ford engine that they do not and never have recommended 5w-20 for use in.

You sir, are correct. Here is the TSB.

Back