2020 XLT Towing help | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 XLT Towing help

On topic but at a slight departure...
If the PIU is basically the same platform as the Base (or Sport) model Explorers, why aren't they rated for the same towing capacity, with the bigger engine and with comparable equipment?
Got me. But each unit calls for different springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced springs with oem or aftermarket? Got a part number?
There are no aftermarket unless you are lowering, and that I'd figure was obviously the wrong direction.
you can click on my name and find my posts, and find it.
But to make that quicker, since I can type, 2013 Police Interceptor springs installed into a 2016 sport.
If you want the full details, see my post history.

On my 2020 ST, when you go to Tow/Haul mode, the dash displays a transmission temperature gauge. Does the XLT without a factory tow package have that drive mode, and if so, the transmission temp gauge? That would let you know how it's handling the camper.
Where does your transmission temp show up? Towed my trailer with my XLT last week, but no transmission temp display so far.

Where does your transmission temp show up? Towed my trailer with my XLT last week, but no transmission temp display so far.

It's been parked at least an hour and obviously this pic is with the motor off, but the temp gauge normally runs near the middle for me. I have no idea what that translates to in actual numbers.
tow mode dash.png

Time to gas up!

It's been parked at least an hour and obviously this pic is with the motor off, but the temp gauge normally runs near the middle for me. I have no idea what that translates to in actual numbers.
View attachment 318144
Nice. Looks like it’s only a feature of the digital dash then.

The temp gauges are dummy gauges. They have about a 50 degree swing without it moving (stays right in the middle).

The temp gauges are dummy gauges. They have about a 50 degree swing without it moving (stays right in the middle).
Why do you say that? I do see mine going up incrementally from a cold start, at least. Granted I'm not staring at how small the increments are, but did you or somebody do a comparison to known-good measurements while operating?

Why do you say that? I do see mine going up incrementally from a cold start, at least. Granted I'm not staring at how small the increments are, but did you or somebody do a comparison to known-good measurements while operating?

Because using forscan you can see the actual temps and can compare how much the temps still climb once it hits the middle of the gauge on the cluster. There is around a 50 degree climb of actual temps after the gauges hit the center.

So example, around 150 degrees it hits normal and doesn't move again (I'd have to check the exact number.. just an example). Even though it shows mid/normal and doesn't move again, your temp still rises up to abou 200 degrees. It won't drop at all unless you get close to the 150.. and won't rise till you get above 220. So thats why I say it is a dummy gauge, it doesn't actively move with the actual temp fluctuations.

Because using forscan you can see the actual temps and can compare how much the temps still climb once it hits the middle of the gauge on the cluster. There is around a 50 degree climb of actual temps after the gauges hit the center.

So example, around 150 degrees it hits normal and doesn't move again (I'd have to check the exact number.. just an example). Even though it shows mid/normal and doesn't move again, your temp still rises up to abou 200 degrees. It won't drop at all unless you get close to the 150.. and won't rise till you get above 220. So thats why I say it is a dummy gauge, it doesn't actively move with the actual temp fluctuations.
Cool to know, yet disappointing information. Thank you for explaining! That's crazy that the digital gauge would be programmed with such low precision. They probably decided they would get less unnecessary warranty work from people fretting over their transmission temperature fluctuations or something. Speculation on my part, of course.

Cool to know, yet disappointing information. Thank you for explaining! That's crazy that the digital gauge would be programmed with such low precision. They probably decided they would get less unnecessary warranty work from people fretting over their transmission temperature fluctuations or something. Speculation on my part, of course.

Pretty much the consensus of many.

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2020 XLT two days ago for my wife. I will be using it to tow a small camper occasionally. I did not get the factory towing package, but the dealer will be installing a receiver hitch and the 7pin plug. I will also need a trailer brake controller which I will install myself. A couple of questions/concerns I hope someone with experience can answer here. First - looking at the towing guide from Ford - it lists the towing capacity as 3000 lbs without the towing package and 5600 with. Is this just due to the hitch or are there suspension differences with the tow package? Also, does anyone know if the wiring for the trailer brake controller is present under the dash on the units without the tow package? I'm hoping they all used the same wiring harnesses and I can just "plug and play" without hunting and splicing wires. Thanks in advance for the help!

So did you get everything setup or where are you at on this project? FYI there are after market hitches available for the 2020.

When Ford started using the CAN bus it gave them a lot more choices in how to make gauges operate. The sensors “report” to the computer through the CAN bus, but do not have a direct connection to the gauges. The computer always knows the actual sensor reading, but the programmer determines how that translates to a gauge reading. Since many folks don’t really understand what the readings should be, the gauge scale function may be “dumbed down” to the degree that its not much better than an indicator light.

One good aspect of the CAN bus is that almost all readings are accessible through the OBDII port under the dash. Devices like Scanguage II make most of the actual readings accessible for realtime monitoring.

I assume the gauges also self-calibrate at startup, which can lead to other issues with incorrect readings. With stepper motor gauges (not sure if this is what the current Explorer has) the motors can fail or get too slow, so that they find the wrong max/min point. My 2005 Mustang had stepper motor problems for both the tach and temp gauges, which I finally fixed by replacing all the stepper motors with a newer version.

Bruce

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2020 XLT two days ago for my wife. I will be using it to tow a small camper occasionally. I did not get the factory towing package, but the dealer will be installing a receiver hitch and the 7pin plug. I will also need a trailer brake controller which I will install myself. A couple of questions/concerns I hope someone with experience can answer here. First - looking at the towing guide from Ford - it lists the towing capacity as 3000 lbs without the towing package and 5600 with. Is this just due to the hitch or are there suspension differences with the tow package? Also, does anyone know if the wiring for the trailer brake controller is present under the dash on the units without the tow package? I'm hoping they all used the same wiring harnesses and I can just "plug and play" without hunting and splicing wires. Thanks in advance for the help!

Back on topic, this was a heavily researched part of my buying process. All models are equipped with an "engine" cooler. The tow package adds an auxillary transmission cooler. This was confirmed by parts and service during my research. The factory classification of 3k lbs towing is for all models without the auxillary transmission cooler and factory installed hitch. No other differences exist in the mechanics of the vehicle. The suspension spring rates and mechanics are identical based on trim level. The wiring is harder to determine as you would need a dealer or customer willing to dive under the trim of their vehicle to determine.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back