'98 XLT Towing pop up camper towing questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT Towing pop up camper towing questions

Thanks!!

Thanks all for the good advice. I installed a Class III frame mounted hitch and towed the camper home with no problem. That is other than the camper tire blowing at 70 mph. That was fun. Dryrot. I'm taking the camper out this weekend with the kids and now that I have a sucessful "tow" under my belt, I feel much better!!!

First Tow - Ended up with a Hidden Hitch from Explorer Express. (Great Service BTW). If you don't have the tow package on a 2k and others, 01's are slightly different from 00's I come to find out. You will need a specific wiring kit that is powered. A simple converter box will not work. I tried it. Running the power wire back to the box is the biggest pain, the rest is pretty easy, just plug in and you are good to go. I towed my homemade 12x5 motorcycle trailer about 100 miles last night with a desk on it. Dead steady at over 70. No problems, no wandering and you don't get much bounce from the trailer. I will have some more weight on it in a few weeks but so far so good.

Back