• Register Today It's free!

2020 XLT Towing help

galpd320

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2020 XLT two days ago for my wife. I will be using it to tow a small camper occasionally. I did not get the factory towing package, but the dealer will be installing a receiver hitch and the 7pin plug. I will also need a trailer brake controller which I will install myself. A couple of questions/concerns I hope someone with experience can answer here. First - looking at the towing guide from Ford - it lists the towing capacity as 3000 lbs without the towing package and 5600 with. Is this just due to the hitch or are there suspension differences with the tow package? Also, does anyone know if the wiring for the trailer brake controller is present under the dash on the units without the tow package? I'm hoping they all used the same wiring harnesses and I can just "plug and play" without hunting and splicing wires. Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The towing package includes the receiver hitch, and usually heavy duty cooling package. Can't help you with the wiring harness, if the dealer is installing the wiring harness, ask him about the brake controller. From the specs for the 2.3 liter engine looks like the max towing capacity is 5,300 lbs.

Here is the info on Ford's Explorer XLT web site page:
The Class III Trailer Tow Package includes a Class III frame-mounted hitch, trailer connectors, and engine oil cooler. Enables towing up to 5,600 pounds, when properly equipped.

The Cargo Management System comes with extra pockets on the side and a storage area underneath the floor provide you with a place to store those smaller items.

Available on Ford Explorer Base, XLT, and Limited; standard on ST and Platinum.

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2020 XLT two days ago for my wife. I will be using it to tow a small camper occasionally. I did not get the factory towing package, but the dealer will be installing a receiver hitch and the 7pin plug. I will also need a trailer brake controller which I will install myself. A couple of questions/concerns I hope someone with experience can answer here. First - looking at the towing guide from Ford - it lists the towing capacity as 3000 lbs without the towing package and 5600 with. Is this just due to the hitch or are there suspension differences with the tow package? Also, does anyone know if the wiring for the trailer brake controller is present under the dash on the units without the tow package? I'm hoping they all used the same wiring harnesses and I can just "plug and play" without hunting and splicing wires. Thanks in advance for the help!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
On the 2020 Explorers the engine oil cooler is standard on all series. Vehicles with the factory tow package also have a setting for Trailer Sway Control
The system applies the brakes to the individual wheels and reduces engine torque to aid vehicle stability. In the 5th gen Explorer, a different transmission was used in the towing package. Not sure about the 2020 though. I can't be sure on the brake controller plug.

Peter

Vehicles with the factory tow package also have a setting for Trailer Sway Control
Thanks for the info. I’m betting it’s pre-wired for the controller. I hope it is at least. The non-towing packages have the sway control too. It was noted on my window sticker and in the manual. So that makes me believe it’s just the receiver and the plug missing.

Thanks for the info. I’m betting it’s pre-wired for the controller. I hope it is at least. The non-towing packages have the sway control too. It was noted on my window sticker and in the manual. So that makes me believe it’s just the receiver and the plug missing.
I just went through the same thing as you three days ago. Class III hitch, wiring, and brake controller installed. I just refused a great deal on a 4,000 lb GVWR travel trailer because the vehicle's towing capacity is only rated for 3,000 lbs without the oil cooler.
At least that's the way I see it after doing some digging at the local dealership. There was no clear "Yes sir. Warranty coverage is good." from them. They were non committal all the way.

I just went through the same thing as you three days ago. Class III hitch, wiring, and brake controller installed. I just refused a great deal on a 4,000 lb GVWR travel trailer because the vehicle's towing capacity is only rated for 3,000 lbs without the oil cooler.
At least that's the way I see it after doing some digging at the local dealership. There was no clear "Yes sir. Warranty coverage is good." from them. They were non committal all the way.
It was said in a post just above that all trim levels have the oil cooler. Is that not the case?

Check out page 2 of the Order Guide under FUNCTIONAL. Updated 2020 Order Guide
- Engine Oil Cooler is standard on all series.

Peter
Yep, just crawled under mine and it's there! So that means then, with hitch, wiring, and brake controller, I have the standard 5,600 lb towing capacity?

Please follow up whether you find the wiring for the brake controller ready to go or if you have to cut and splice

Yep, just crawled under mine and it's there! So that means then, with hitch, wiring, and brake controller, I have the standard 5,600 lb towing capacity?
No. As per the towing guide, 5600 lb only with the factory installed tow package.

Peter

No. As per the towing guide, 5600 lb only with the factory installed tow package.

Peter
What would be the difference if I have installed everything that the factory towing package would have? How could I determine towing capacity?

What would be the difference if I have installed everything that the factory towing package would have? How could I determine towing capacity?
The Towing Guide is your 'guide' on towing capacity. Not saying you can't tow more but if anything were to happen doing so, it could affect the warranty or in case of an accident, liability. The 5th gen also had a bigger radiator and as mentioned, a different transmission. I don't know if those apply to the 2020 model or not. There may be other things that go into an Explorer with the tow package that aren't apparent.:dunno:

Peter

Peter, if you review my last post, the towing guide should not be considered the absolute truth on the matter. Between 13 and 16 it is very obvious that ford changed the spring rate, this reducing the tongue weight considerable, even with WDH (distribution hitch). After replacing my 16 springs, the ride height with the same trailer is 1.5" higher, and matched what the 13 was measured at.

It is unfortunate that Ford makes "drivability" chafes for soccer moms so it rides smoother, but NOT re-verifying the platform with a spring change is close to negligent.
My point is not all that is written is reality.

And to the OP, if they have to wire in anything then the unit DID NOT COME WITH the tow package, as it is clear that the wiring is included.

As for trailer brake, I can only assume it's like previous gen, and the plug is under the dash, but hard to find.
I'd expect it to use the same plug:
And I liked the upside down mount controller, and riveted it to the lower fascia hat I could remove and rivit to on the bench.
Hope that helps.
I have about 25,000 miles towing in the 16, all with **** springs, replaced a week or so ago. Now it is like a dream.

Engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler are two different things. Towing packages normally add a trans oil cooler.

Not sure why so many use this outdated (in my opinion) term "soccer moms"? I see just as many men as women driving kids to soccer and many women driving F-150s etc. The main reason I bought my 2011 Explorer Limited was because it finally went to a unibody. I had a friend take over the 2 years I had left on my 2019 Highlander lease at the time. Ford wisely went with what the market place was looking for. I test drove a 2002 Explorer and while it was nice the rough ride turned me to the 2002 Highlander. With the 5th and 6th gens I believe they made the right move at the time.
Soon the Bronco will hit the market and provide a choice for those that miss the original Explorer.

Peter

Engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler are two different things. Towing packages normally add a trans oil cooler.
Welcome to the Forum Nick.:wave:
Making the engine oil cooler standard on all 2020 Explorers was a new feature as per the Order Guide. There is no mention of a transmission cooler as part of the tow package. I don't know if the 2020 has that standard or not.

Peter

Don't even think about towing anything with an automatic transmission with out a trans oil cooler installed. That would have been in the towing pkg. The temperature buildup with a trans cooler will fry the trans in short order.

On the 13, it ran hotter than I wanted it to pulling up Colorado passes. It never got over 220, but still, I didn't like it getting up there. So for the 2016, I installed an aux cooler for the trans. Basically, transmission fluid *cant* be too cool.
So I installed a Hayden 679 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Cooler, GVWR up to 30,000 pounds, towing up to 10,000 pounds.
I mounted it with aluminum bar-stock, and used the threaded holes that were in the core support (being unused). Then screwed the cooler to a single bar stock on the bottom, then attached to the core support IN FRONT of the existing gear.
I have not seen temps over about 204 degrees since, and that was pulling hills in West Virginia, which are much worse than Colorado, as they are shorter and more of them and those hills seems to build heat faster.
I attached an image of the install before I painted and put everything back together. Yes, you have to take off the front clip (mostly).
I cut and spliced into the out line from the radiator, so it cools, what was already cooled (which is still heating it some due to radiator fluid).

As for Soccer Mom, its a phrase that is universally accepted. But biological determination aside, if you complain about ride quality on a SPORT, then you bought the wrong car. Don't go screwing up what was tested, published and people rely on, just to improve ride quality.
2019-09-24_15.35.10.JPG
2019-09-24_15.34.53.JPG
2019-09-25_12.09.12.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never said I drove or bought a Sport. I have a 2020 Aviator.

Back