2022 xlt coolant smell. Brand new 200 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 xlt coolant smell. Brand new 200 miles

hardcore302

Reaction score
City, State
Lindenhurst, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
Brand new lease. Had a 2020. Liked it so much my wife wanted a new one. She remote starts the car this morning and went outside to a massive smell of burnt syrup outside the car and inside. I looked under the hood but couldn't spot a leak. When she got to work she said the smell was bad the whole way. Had to open the window. Anyone have a clue what's going on? Thank God it's a lease but it's still a PITA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brand new lease. Had a 2020. Liked it so much my wife wanted a new one. She remote starts the car this morning and went outside to a massive smell of burnt syrup outside the car and inside. I looked under the hood but couldn't spot a leak. When she got to work she said the smell was bad the whole way. Had to open the window. Anyone have a clue what's going on? Thank God it's a lease but it's still a PITA.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not being familiar with a burned syrup smell, I would guess it is different from a coolant smell. Is there any sign of a coolant leak on the driveway?
Maybe wait and see what the return trip is like, possibly without remote starting. Check the coolant level when she gets back.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not being familiar with a burned syrup smell, I would guess it is different from a coolant smell. Is there any sign of a coolant leak on the driveway?
Maybe wait and see what the return trip is like, possibly without remote starting. Check the coolant level when she gets back.

Peter
Nothing on driveway. Smell was a little sweet so I think it was coolant

Check if the front seat carpets are wet. Could be a leaking heater core or fittings, though usually you will also get windshield fogging. If you find any leaking coolant, and you have a dog, keep the dog away as the coolant is deadly if ingested by a dog.

Sweet usually means antifreeze. I'd schedule a date with the dealer but take it out and add more miles. It could be as simple as a plastic bag or other detritus somewhere on an exhaust manifold.

She said everything was fine on the way home. Maybe it burped some coolant out of the reservoir overflow? Gonna check the level when I get home.

Coolant level was fine. No signs of leaks. Hoses seem good.

Sweet usually means antifreeze. I'd schedule a date with the dealer but take it out and add more miles. It could be as simple as a plastic bag or other detritus somewhere on an exhaust manifold.
Back when we had a minivan my wife parked it in the garage one day and mentioned to me that it smelled bad. I went out to the garage to be greeted by the strongest burning rubber smell I had ever encountered. Way too strong to just be hot tires. I'm looking inside, I'm looking in the engine bay - can't find anything and it isn't getting any better.
Finally I look under the car about in the middle and find a large part of a tire lodged in the exhaust by the steel belt.
Hon - did you run over a tire or tire parts today?
Yes - yes I did.
OK - start with that next time and then tell me it smells bad.

Back