20's on 4wd? Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20's on 4wd? Problems?

Hey guys.. please dont tell me to use the search feature.. cuz i did and didnt turn up anything.

I will be purchasing some 20's in the near future w/ some 265/50/r20 toyos... but i want to make sure of a few things.

One- when i search sites like www.superbuytires.com They only have option for 2wd explorers.. so it made me wonder if there is some incompatability with many 20in wheels and the 4wd on the explorers.

If not than will any wheel with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern work?

Im looking at these 3 wheels

KMC Clocker 20x8.5
http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_by_brand.html?stage=2&brand=KMC&model=Clocker

MKW MK9 20x8.5
http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_by_brand.html?stage=2&brand=MKW&model=MK9

Kruz Yellowstone 20x8.5
http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_by_brand.html?stage=2&brand=Kruz&model=Yellowstone

what do you guys think of these?

IS backspacing an issue? i have a XLT w/ the larger flares to i want them to fill out the flares well.. so i would want MORE? or LESS Backspacing- im not sure how the terminology works.. (i want the wheel to come out further rather than be tucked in more)

Here are some pics of the explorer
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mbx4rrracer

Please try and give me some help asap.. i plan on getting them ordered up here in a week or 2 (i found a connection than can get them for me at dealer cost i just need to let him know what i need specifically

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS- this forum has been nothing but a great help in my explorer modding journey thus far so i know yall will have the answer here too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any wheel that is RWD and has a 5x4.5 bolt pattern will fit your truck. In this case, you won't have to worry about rubbing because you'll have very little if any at all, just as long as you get a rim that is made for a truck. Superbuytires.com is a great site for rim deals. Good luck.

Anabolic, I think the reason why you only come up with 2WD only on that site because they are probably thinking of the 1st gen. explorers. The 1st gen 4WD have the front hubs that stick out and I think some of these custom wheels will not fit the 4WD hubs. You have a 2nd gen Ex., so I don't think you have 4WD hub sticking out right? I don't think there will be a problem on whatever get. I know there isn't much 5x4.5 bolt pattern on DUBS. So make sure you do get the wheel that fits like Hartman said. Also are you planning to keep your ride stock or lowered? I have the same size Toyo Proxies on mine now. Those tires are great! The rim is 8.5 inches wide too. I do rub on a full steering lock and hitting the wheel wells plastic thingy when I hit some big bumps. I haven't trimmed anything yet. I will soon though. I am lowered 2inches, so I think that really causes it. I am not too sure about the backspacing part, but am sure a good place that knows their stuff will give you a better answer then me. As for the wheels you picked. They all look nice. I would do the Clockers as the 1st pick, followed by the MK9s.

Thanks for the help.. I didnt think there would be a problem at all but wanted to double check with you guys.
Yeah there really is a minimal selection of 5x4.5 wheels for SUV's.. but enough to make a decision difficult..

There is something about the Kruz wheels - while very very similar to the MK9's, they just have a better look to them (not sure what it is- maybe that the spokes are solid and dont have slits in them).

The KMC Clockers look cool!. but everybody and their mother seems to have KMC- and they used to seem like the "cheap" wheel on the block.. but things have changed.

I can get any of these three w/ 265/50r20 Toyos for right around 1800$ (great price- since im getting them at cost thru a friend).
Argg i cant decide!!! i need to know (hopefully tomorrow) because i want to order them ASAP.

Feel free to confuse me MORE by throwing in more wheels you think would look good on my EXPLORER

:D okay..some of nice wheels i seen are mondera suv B52s and Alba Karma's. If you want to really want to blow the bank and want real bling! bling! headtuners! and only if these wheel would fit the Ex..go with the Davin RS3.3s.:eek:

Whatever u choose, they will awesome

Yeah.. definatly! ill go with the Davins.. I can easily pull together 16000$ - let me just pay off my student loans.. and ill be set in oooo i dunno 10 years LOL. But wow they look so awesome. I was on there site and they are making a "Blak" series which looks really nice too. :eek:

And.. arrr! thanks for suggesting the B-52's! made it that much harder.. because i REALLY Like the look of that wheel- its beefy and not too "BLING BLING". Would make the X still look "powerfull" (an oximoron w/ the 4.0 lol) but also it will keep it looking very sporty w/ the 20in size.

I guess i need to get that one priced as well. Im also getting the spinners priced (not the davins- but the spinners u can get put on any 20" wheel you desire). So it will be a week probably before i come to a conclusion :)

Thank You Hartman and Xplor.. U made my decision both easier and more difficult at the same time LOL!

Rested assured, I have FWD rims on my 4WD, and lowering it 2 inches eliminated all the rubbing I had. Weird huh? That's why no one really has an answer when people ask "Will I have rubbing with this rim?" because it's hard to tell. With 20's, you really won't have any problems clearing everything because the rim has such a BIG diameter. Now the only though decision is what rim to get! I would be happy to see you take the Mondera route!

i have mk9's on my X. They are only 18's, but they might give you an idea. All of those rims you are contemplating look sweet though. tough call. www.cardomain.com/id/nnnick03

hartman-

you had rubbing with your 18s? Where did it rub? I'm not lowered but never had rubbing problems with my 18s. Weird. And I agree with you, Mondera RULES!

Sideswipe, I have rims that are FWD, meaning they're made for passenger cars (i.e. Lexus sedans). At stock height, the tire rubbed the upper a-arm at full lock either direction. Now that I'm lowered, no rubs, even at full lock. I'm happy now.

TEAM MONDERA RULES! :D

Back