Another variation on 4wd problems... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another variation on 4wd problems...

spruce creek

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I have a 94 xlt, 4wd. Engaged it the other night, worked fine. Pushed the dash button to turn it off, it apparently disengaged, but the 4X4 light remained on. Seemed like maybe a stuck relay.

When I turned off the ignition, then turned it on again, the 4X4 light was out. But, now when I attempt to engage the 4wd, the light comes on (and stays on until I turn off the ignition). And, I get the click from the back and no noise from the transfer case.

While there are lots of posts on 4wd problems, mine seems different since the 4wd light comes on and stays on, and the other folks actuator motor problmes never get the light.

Unless someone has a better idea, I will check the 4wd motor on the transfer case the next time we have a warm day. But, if it is an upstream electrical problem, is there a good way of diagnosing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you doin the neutral and then revers trick?

yoe put it in neutral hit 4x4(to dissengage) the back up a few feet then drive foward and the light might go off.

ok, I saw some info on this in a couple of other forums:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor+cleaning
and
http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/tcase.html

I first checked the computer board over the left rear fender by unplugging both wiring harnesses, turning on the ingnition, then pushing the white button on the bottom of the unit. The red led flashed, so problem was with actuator motor.

The, tapped on the acuator motor on the tranfer case--firmly but lightly--several times. Now, the 4wd engages. If it goes out again, time to take the motor apart.

You should absolutely expect it to go out again. If you're OK with getting stuck without 4x4, you can wait. Otherwise, fix it correctly at your earliest convenience.

Yeah, I figure it's only a matter of time. But, I'll make it a summer job. Until then I will carry a hammer with me just in case I need to give it another whack. :)

Just be aware that hitting it with a bigger stick will only work so many times...

Understood. But, here in PA we are hopefully near the end of the 4wd season, and so with any luck I can string this along and turn it into a "fair weather" repair job. Thanks for your input.

I hear that! It's finally warming up a little here in NE too. But, we've had those wonderful March and April noreasters way too often. Good luck!

I hear that! It's finally warming up a little here in NE too. But, we've had those wonderful March and April noreasters way too often. Good luck!
Well, your forecast was correct. Put it in 4wH the other day...engaged ok. Then, couldn't get it to disengage...put it in neutral, hit the 4wL button (figuring maybe that would move the motor enough to wake up the 4wH button), and then it ended up stuck in 4wL. Yippee.

So, pulled the actuator motor out and ordered a replacement from NAPA for $119. Will install tomorrow, then take apart the old one and see what ails it.

BTW, one of the forums I note above has a good discussion on how to disassemble the male plug in the wiring harness to remove the brown wire without cutting it. Very straightforward.

Plus, no need to bust the plugs when unhooking them...they look like you should pry the tabs away from the plug body, but the trick is to press them against it. Then it unhooks easily.

Back