21 Explorer XLT whine while shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21 Explorer XLT whine while shifting

21ExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT w Sport
As the title suggests ..The car barely has 2000KM and makes a whining noise when the car shifts, specially 2-3 and 3-4 gear. It is audible and can also be felt but the camera fails to pick it up accurately (or it is difficult for someone to differentiate through a video clip). It seems to reduce a bit as the car gets driven around a bit. Any idea what it could be? Please see the link to the video. Video

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not many members here from your city. I was not able to hear the whine in the video clip. Has it done this since you bought it or is it something new? It might be transmission=related. There are many posts/threads here about the 6th gen transmission issues including hard/jerky shifting. Here is just one that I found with the Forum's 'Search' feature. Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Peter

Even with pretty good headphones I can't hear the whine.

I totally thought something was wrong with the vehicle when I got mine and heard that, but have found it appears to be "normal" on these.

The 10R units have characteristically a loud pump. They are fairly noisy especially in a drive thru, windows down creeping forward (when throttle is applied).

My F150's have been the same way. Similar trans.

The 10R units have characteristically a loud pump. They are fairly noisy especially in a drive thru, windows down creeping forward (when throttle is applied).

My F150's have been the same way. Similar trans.
I doubt the OP would be shifting 2-3 and 3-4 in a drive-through. ;) I have the 10R60 in my Aviator as well and it is very quiet with no shifting issues. Very smooth.

Peter

Back