• Register Today It's free!

26 spline clutch

Ketia0

Reaction score
City, State
Texas City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SLT
I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS. It is a 5 speed standard transmission. Unlike most other transmissions it has a 26 spline clutch plate and flywheel.. The history behind it is from what I understand

Ford decided in 2002 to do an experiment to go from single mast to dual mast flywheel, and have a 26 spline in it. They only made 1000 of these. I cant find a flywheel or clutch assebmly anywhere!

Have any of you run into this or have an idea on what I can do. From what I understand you cant even swap out the transmissions because it doesnt bolt of the same.

Thank you for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OOOOO, you have a truly rare Explorer. Welcome to the forum. As far as your question I don't know the answer to it. You can't even get the proper flywheel and clutch from Ford? I would think the transmission has to bolt up the same, they're not going to have a 4.0 with a special bolt pattern just for a different transmission?

Times like this.. rare isnt good... :-( It has a specail bolt pattern just for that trany. I was looking into a mazada or an explorer's transmission with 23 spline... and it wont work.

Ford said they do not make the clutch or flywheel. They gave me a number to call for thier aftermarket dealer. And they dont have any either.. It was never put inot production, because it wasnt needed. :-(

They only made 1000 Explorers with the 26 spline clutch assembly or they only made 1000 2002 Explorers with manuals and they all have the 26 spline clutch assembly?

They only made 1000 with the 26 spline.. they made more with the 23 spline

Here are some 26 spline clutches, not cheap though.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ain/Part-Type/Clutch-Kits/?Ns=Rank|Asc&page=1

Now these are for the 4.6L engines but looking at the specs they do list they have at least some of the same specs as the 4.0L clutches like 1" or 1-1/8" shafts ect. The question is, is yours the same 8 bolt crankcase? I'm thinking the experiment was maybe just using the assemblies from the transmissions they used for the 4.6L engines?

And the transmission may have a different bolt pattern than the 23 spline ones but I still don't see why you couldn't replace it with a standard 23 spline transmission because I highly doubt the bolt pattern on the engine is any different than the regular 4.0L engines?

I would maybe also contact fast parts network, they deal in Ford parts. They only have one type of clutch listed for 2002 Explorers but maybe they can find the 26 spline type or point you in the right direction.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS. It is a 5 speed standard transmission. Unlike most other transmissions it has a 26 spline clutch plate and flywheel.. The history behind it is from what I understand

Ford decided in 2002 to do an experiment to go from single mast to dual mast flywheel, and have a 26 spline in it. They only made 1000 of these. I cant find a flywheel or clutch assebmly anywhere!

Have any of you run into this or have an idea on what I can do. From what I understand you cant even swap out the transmissions because it doesnt bolt of the same.

Thank you for any help

We have Rebuilt the Pressure Plate and Disc for the 2002 26 spline Explorer with good results if the "cores" are good. Recently we designed a Solid flywheel conversion clutch kit. The kit is installed and running, we want to get more miles on the Kit before we offer it to the aftermarket. If you have any questions give us a call 619-477-2105 800-310-2588 www.southlandclutch.com 8-5 M-F PST ask for Dan or Kim

Whew! I thought I was COMPLETELY out of luck! My clutch/pressure plate and flywheel are in fine shape...I'm sooo fanatical about replacing parts before they break is how I found myself in this predicament in the first place! I will contact Southland Clutch first part of next week to see how things are going. Bob

2002 Explorers with the Dual Mass flywheel and 26 spline transmission, the Solid Flywheel conversion kit is now available field tests are complete with outstanding results. Feedback has been excellent. I drove one with 208,000 miles with the conversion kit, this clutch feels and acts better than the original. Give us a call if we can help, we have kits in stock.
www.southlandclutch.com 800-310-2588 619-477-2105 Dan or Kim 8-5 PST

2002 Explorer Clutch 4-Door Manual Transmission

Clutch parts for this specific model: 2002 Ford Explorer 4 door with manual transmission have been discontinued. We have developed and tested a solid flywheel conversion kit. We have delivered kits as far away as Samoa, Ford dealerships have also purchased Kits.
Kit includes:
Solid Flywheel (replaces dual mass)
26 Spline sprung disc
Pressure plate traditional type (replaces self adjuster)
Pilot bearing
pressure plate bolts
alignment tool

800-310-2588 619-477-2105
www.southlandclutch.com
info@southlandclutch.com

It seems like there should be a way to use an older style (for example 55-57 Ford F Series) clutch with 26 spline, 10.4" diameter. Anybody????

Yes I am in the same boat right now and struggling with getting rid of a perfectly fine, other then the clutch, truck that just turned ten yrs old! What I did find out through all my research is that there is a company in California that sells a "conversion" kit for about $800.00 I am in the process of re-finding this company b/c I lost the info. along the way. If you happen upon any info. please let me know, wenona.lola@gmail.com Thanks!

I'm new here but have a 2002 Explorer Sport (Not the Trac) 5 spd manual 4.0L V6. I think the clutch is slipping because when I accelerate, the RPM's go up but my speed doesn't respond in kind! Ford dealers want $1100. ~ $1500 for the repairs and the car is only worth about $1500 +/- on a trade. I've had this car for 11 years and 110000 miles and lots of major great memories; hard to let go. They say I need a clutch repair kit. My first question, that I know only I can answer, is: Is it worth the investment and second are the costs reasonable? I'm somewhat fearful to allow an independent repair shop do the work even though their pricing is lower, should I proceed.

I'm so upset over this and that Ford no longer makes any kind of SUV with a manual transmission!

I'm new here but have a 2002 Explorer Sport (Not the Trac) 5 spd manual 4.0L V6. I think the clutch is slipping because when I accelerate, the RPM's go up but my speed doesn't respond in kind! Ford dealers want $1100. ~ $1500 for the repairs and the car is only worth about $1500 +/- on a trade. I've had this car for 11 years and 110000 miles and lots of major great memories; hard to let go. They say I need a clutch repair kit. My first question, that I know only I can answer, is: Is it worth the investment and second are the costs reasonable? I'm somewhat fearful to allow an independent repair shop do the work even though their pricing is lower, should I proceed.

I'm so upset over this and that Ford no longer makes any kind of SUV with a manual transmission!

It is not too tough to swap out a clutch, which you can get for <$300. You can either do it yourself, or get an independent shop to do it for a lot less than $1100. There are not a lot of manual transmission Explorers out there, so it would be a shame to let it die over a relatively typical maintenance item.

CLUTCH 2002 Explorer 26 Spline Transmission

Update: Southland Clutch

We have been selling our Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit for 5 years. Several hundred kits have been shipped in the US and worldwide. Since the parts have been discontinued by Ford and the aftermarket, business on the kit has been steady. The kit includes: Solid Flywheel, 26 spline sprung disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, pressure plate bolts, alignment tool.

We also have a limited number of OE slave cylinders (very hard to find) and also may be able to rebuild your slave cylinder, call for info.

Contact us for pricing 1.800.310.2588/ info@southlandclutch.com / www.southlandclutch.com

ive seen the flywheel on rockauto for over $250, but thats it. im in the same boat, ill likely try to frankenstien something else in before i give up and have the setup re-manned

i used a ranger flywheel and pressure plate, make a pilot from a copper bushing, and resized a disc from a mustang (im frugal, ok). it all fit together, went around the block, and the clutch master cyl went squishy. bled it out like 3 times and it still doesnt get pressure. its not setup like rangers or other explorers i see on the net, im kind of at a loss on geting the old one out. new one is shared with the retro mustangs 05+ so they are everywhere. from what i can tell i need to remove the brake/clutch pedal assembly, anyone have any pointers? i think theres one bolt hiding under a bracket i cant seem to find screws to remove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Times like this.. rare isnt good... :-( It has a specail bolt pattern just for that trany. I was looking into a mazada or an explorer's transmission with 23 spline... and it wont work.

Ford said they do not make the clutch or flywheel. They gave me a number to call for thier aftermarket dealer. And they dont have any either.. It was never put inot production, because it wasnt needed. :-(

I realize this is an ancient post but I'm trying to find out if it's true that the bolt pattern on the 26 spline tranny is indeed different than the 23 spline tranny. My motor blew on a trip across Arizona. The vehicle is at a mechanic in Tuba City Arizona right now and I bought a salvage engine last week which is being shipped to him as we speak. The "new" engine was from an automatic vehicle so will presumably have the same bolt pattern as the 23 spline tranny.

First of all, can anyone confirm that there were indeed 2 different bolt patterns? Seems utterly ridiculous that Ford would do such a thing but I guess you never know. Secondly, does anyone know how to tell if I have a 23 spline or 26 spline without separating the motor and trans? IF I have a 26 spline and IF that is a different bolt pattern the vehicle is not worth fixing (as I'd need to go buy another trans that would bolt to my "new" motor) - I'm already looking at spending more than the vehicle is worth so a replacement 23 spline manual trans would put me way into the red - if that were the case I'd quit now and sell what I've got.

My VIN is 1FMZU72E82ZB88001, build date is Jan 16, 2002. It's a 4.0 SOHC V6, 4x4, 5 Speed Manual, XLS 4 door "wagon" (not sport or sport-trac).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

Back