265 vs 285 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265 vs 285

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And not to beat a dead horse here but looking at the fender wells you can see that they curve back as you go into the well. Thats allowing that tire to turn, but when you bring that tire out (too far out that is) it can hit the area closest to the outside (mostly the trim around the well) as it brings that turn radius out.
But I'll probably end up without fender wells or bumpers as I am dead set on 35's! ha! I'll just make sure and not sell my 285's until I drive with them a bit.
Once you go 285's you def wont want to go back down.

Nope, no chance of going back once you're there. :thumbsup:

Nope, no chance of going back once you're there. :thumbsup:

What do you think of me wanting to fit 35's? You think it's possible with your spacers added to my rig plus trimming?

What do you think of me wanting to fit 35's? You think it's possible with your spacers added to my rig plus trimming?

I'd like to fit 35's as well, but I worry about how much "trimming" may be involved.
I know it can be done... and will get there eventually myself, but only after i get the X lifted another couple inches.
To answer your question... I'm sure it's possible... I just don't know how clean it would look, I'd hate to see you hack up your truck.
But we'll never know if somebody doesn't try it right?
I will be trying it, but it'll be after a bit of body armor... so not till at least spring.

I'd like to fit 35's as well, but I worry about how much "trimming" may be involved.
I know it can be done... and will get there eventually myself, but only after i get the X lifted another couple inches.
To answer your question... I'm sure it's possible... I just don't know how clean it would look, I'd hate to see you hack up your truck.
But we'll never know if somebody doesn't try it right?
I will be trying it, but it'll be after a bit of body armor... so not till at least spring.

Yea I was thinking of that body armor today as I was walking up to my truck I could see the oil cooler exposed ( I think its the oil cooler)
Yea I dont want to hack it, they look too good to hack. Although we get a bit redneck sometimes down here in Tennessee. So we'll see...

Yeah, I think it's a tranny cooler, but I'm thinking rock sliders, and front bumper with grille guard and skid plate are the next on my list...

Although we get a bit redneck sometimes down here in Tennessee. So we'll see...

We do that over the mountains in North Carolina too. One time several years ago a guy in a Geo Storm was revving his motor at me wanting to race at a stop light. I had a Suzuki Grand Vitara at the time. I just rolled my eyes and let him go. He floored it and pulled couple car lengths ahead of me as I eased off the line. Once he was ahead where I could see him I noticed that he had one of those small temporary spares on the back of his Storm along with some custom bondo work. I looked at my buddy who was with me at the time and we both said at the same time "only in Lenoir".

I think you'll have issues with the rear running 35's. Measure the gap between the front of the rear tyre, and the front of the wheel well. Then subtract 1" for clearance for suspension compression/extension, then multiply the result by 2 and add it to the diameter of your current tyres; I think you may end up rubbing.

eg, I am currently running 31.6", if the gap between the tyre and wheel well is 2.5" (I haven't measured - just estimating), then the available "safe" space I have is 1.5", which means you could go to a 34.6" tyre (31.6" + 2*1.5"). So I suppose 35" might just be OK.??

I think you'll have issues with the rear running 35's. Measure the gap between the front of the rear tyre, and the front of the wheel well. Then subtract 1" for clearance for suspension compression/extension, then multiply the result by 2 and add it to the diameter of your current tyres; I think you may end up rubbing.

eg, I am currently running 31.6", if the gap between the tyre and wheel well is 2.5" (I haven't measured - just estimating), then the available "safe" space I have is 1.5", which means you could go to a 34.6" tyre (31.6" + 2*1.5"). So I suppose 35" might just be OK.??

Well in our 16" rim size a 315/75/16 is exactly that-34.6"
I think after all the lift it will fit but I wont know until I go try one on at the tire store. I'll post some pics of my visit. I've noticed in the rear that if you were to take off that plastic trim piece attatched to the door you gain almost an inch in clearance.

We do that over the mountains in North Carolina too. One time several years ago a guy in a Geo Storm was revving his motor at me wanting to race at a stop light. I had a Suzuki Grand Vitara at the time. I just rolled my eyes and let him go. He floored it and pulled couple car lengths ahead of me as I eased off the line. Once he was ahead where I could see him I noticed that he had one of those small temporary spares on the back of his Storm along with some custom bondo work. I looked at my buddy who was with me at the time and we both said at the same time "only in Lenoir".

Thats hilarious, watch out for those geo storms, they're full of power...:D

hey when you guys bet bigger tires do you get your speedometer recalibrated, and if so how much does it cost.

I bought RB lift for my 05 and plan on getting 265

Thanks
Chris

hey when you guys bet bigger tires do you get your speedometer recalibrated, and if so how much does it cost.

Thanks
Chris
No, I didn't. According to my GPS, my speed at indicated 100km/h is actually 103km/h on the 265s - not enough to worry about really. I actually found that with 255s, the speed by GPS matched the speedo exactly.

Thanks
Chris

Can you post a pic of your truck I'd like to see your lights on the rack

I recently took the lights off, but within a week they should be back on. ill look if i have some pics from before tho.

I wonder how much body work would be needed to get a set of 285s to not rub with only the addition of 2" spacers up front. My dad does paint and body work so I could get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. I wonder if it would look wrong even if it worked though.

I wonder how much body work would be needed to get a set of 285s to not rub with only the addition of 2" spacers up front. My dad does paint and body work so I could get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. I wonder if it would look wrong even if it worked though.

I tried to run my 285's with only 3" springs, and Rubbed a TONNE... but again, that may have been because of my offset.
You've gotta watch the wheel well, at the back of the front tire, and when you're turning, also make sure to check the clearance on the fender flares.

So, bottom line RB doesn't suggest running 285's with the 3" spacer lift. So I trust his judgement. I'll go for the 265's ...

I may just try both sizes and see what I think when I go to buy tires. I do not mind trimming some to keep them from rubbing. I would rather not cut the metal fenders but the plastic flares and wheel well stuff is fair game. I could even see replacing the flares completely if that is what is holding it back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, bottom line RB doesn't suggest running 285's with the 3" spacer lift. So I trust his judgement. I'll go for the 265's ...

I'd trust him too. just to add abit, I put some rubber mud flaps on the other day, and the 265's hit the screws that hold them on, and that's with a slight lift at the front and 1" spacers (effectively the rims are +13 offset instead of +38) - so it's pretty tight in there with 265's, let alone what it would be like with 285s. Lifted 6" like RBs is and with not too severe offset (I think RBs are -13 offset, so they stick out 2" further than standard rims would), 285's would be OK.

Back