265 vs 285 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265 vs 285

jonnyslick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
So I know that most people with only 3" of lift (springs, spacers, or body lift) run the 265.75's. Why is that exactly? Are the 285's to wide or to tall for only 3" of lift?

According to this site: http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

a 285.75 is 1.1" taller and .80" wider. That doesn't sound like that much to me and seems that the 285.75's should fit. So what am I missing?

I'm getting RB's 3"/2.5" spacers soon (on order now! :thumbsup:) and I'd like to go as big as I can, but I don't want daily rubbing issues. Some here and there is ok, just not all the time under normal daily commutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm sure you will have different opinions but I think with the lift from the spacers you will fit 285's just fine. Now if you had 3" lift springs I would say no. They dont give the true amount of lift like the spacers.

I still touch the inner fender every once and a while with 3" springs, and a 3" body lift.
I recommend 265's with just the lift spacers. unless you go with a body lift too...
but to each their own...

road bully knows what he is talking about being the poineer of off road third gens:D:thumbsup:

lol, thanks man ;)
I just want to make sure that it's known, the largest tire I recommend with my lift alone, is 265/75's, of course people can do whatever they'd like, but I just want to make sure they're warned that they WILL rub.

Cheers

Ben

I have 265/75s, and on standard rims with standard offset, with no spacers, there is only about 1/2" clearance to the steering knuckle. I reckon 285s would hit. Mine also doesn't rub anywhere, but again, the extra 1" from a 285 would make it rub almost everywhere. Now, the spacers help a bit, of course, but you would still need lift to stop the tyres fouling on the guards.

I still touch the inner fender every once and a while with 3" springs, and a 3" body lift.
I recommend 265's with just the lift spacers. unless you go with a body lift too...
but to each their own...

Where are you touching still? Is it only up front when you turn? If so I'd say it's the amount your wheels stick out, not lack of lift height. I had no rubbing at all when I had no lift with 285's while running the 1.25" wheel spacers, when I went bigger to the 2" wheel spacers they rubbed. Sticking that tire out makes it turn into the fender. I think that may be what your getting. And there may be some difference in an all terrain tread and your aggresive mud terrains.

Are Roadbully and myself the only ones running 285's?????

LOL, we may be...
But no, I'm touching at the back side, inner fender well.
So it's not the rims... infact, if anything.... the rims should help that.
It may be the large lugs on my tires...

LOL, we may be...
But no, I'm touching at the back side, inner fender well.
So it's not the rims... infact, if anything.... the rims should help that.
It may be the large lugs on my tires...

Hmm, so your rubbing in the rear but its not the plastic trim piece thats attatched to the door? It's the actual fender well? I guess it must be tread????? I just have the body lift with leveling springs up front only and I'm not even close to rubbing now. Even off road with sway bars disconnected and flexed all the way. I wonder what your rims equal in the way of inches? Like how many inches it makes them stick out?
Thats why I was hoping after your spacers and some trimming I could fit 35's. Thats still my goal. I'm pretty sure I'll have to trim but I dont mind that. I guess I'll see when I mount one and look.

And come on guys mount some 285's!!!!!

Ghurst has 285s....

Hmm, so your rubbing in the rear but its not the plastic trim piece thats attatched to the door? It's the actual fender well? I guess it must be tread????? I just have the body lift with leveling springs up front only and I'm not even close to rubbing now. Even off road with sway bars disconnected and flexed all the way. I wonder what your rims equal in the way of inches? Like how many inches it makes them stick out?
Thats why I was hoping after your spacers and some trimming I could fit 35's. Thats still my goal. I'm pretty sure I'll have to trim but I dont mind that. I guess I'll see when I mount one and look.

And come on guys mount some 285's!!!!!

HAHA.. I'm sorry, I think I mighta given the wrong idea, I'm not rubbing in the rear... I'm rubbing in the rear of the FRONT wheels. ;)
When the wheel is turned at a certain point, I get a little rub, not much... but it was MUCH worse before the extra lift with the body lift done.

HAHA.. I'm sorry, I think I mighta given the wrong idea, I'm not rubbing in the rear... I'm rubbing in the rear of the FRONT wheels. ;)
When the wheel is turned at a certain point, I get a little rub, not much... but it was MUCH worse before the extra lift with the body lift done.

Oh, thats what I was referring to, if your wheels stick out too much they will rub when turning. Anyone else have experience with this? Ghurst dont you have the 1.5" wheel spacers? I'd say that would be about the perfect amount of spacing for 285's. My 1.25" spacers didnt rub at all, But you know me I wanted bigger! I know this theory worked on my truck, but it would be hard to do on another without swapping rims unless you had a buddy with the same size rims and tires just less offset.

Where are you touching still? Is it only up front when you turn? If so I'd say it's the amount your wheels stick out, not lack of lift height. I had no rubbing at all when I had no lift with 285's while running the 1.25" wheel spacers, when I went bigger to the 2" wheel spacers they rubbed. Sticking that tire out makes it turn into the fender. I think that may be what your getting. And there may be some difference in an all terrain tread and your aggresive mud terrains.

Are Roadbully and myself the only ones running 285's?????

You had 285s with no lift?

You had 285s with no lift?

Yea my first set up was 285's, no lift with 1.25" wheel spacers. Completely stock. Very little rubbing until I put on the 2" spacers. But NO LIFT AT ALL.
Then I did the 2.5" lift springs up front. Made no difference in rubbing, just leveled the front end. Then the body lift took care of all of it. Now on to RB spacers!

Yea my first set up was 285's, no lift with 1.25" wheel spacers. Completely stock. Very little rubbing until I put on the 2" spacers. But NO LIFT AT ALL.
Then I did the 2.5" lift springs up front. Made no difference in rubbing, just leveled the front end. Then the body lift took care of all of it. Now on to RB spacers!

Do you think the wheel spacers helped prevent rubbing? I am going to do some of RB's spacers but I am just doing 2" up front to level it up, nothing on the back. I wonder if I could stuff some 285s under there if I did not use any wheel spacers, or if I used 1.25" wheel spacers.

Do you think the wheel spacers helped prevent rubbing? I am going to do some of RB's spacers but I am just doing 2" up front to level it up, nothing on the back. I wonder if I could stuff some 285s under there if I did not use any wheel spacers, or if I used 1.25" wheel spacers.

Yea you could stuff them but I wouldnt. Dont do what I did, do the lift first then mount your tires!
And if your doing wheel spacers do the 1.5" instead of the 1.25"
If you use the 1.25" you will need to grind the end of the studs off. You dont have to with the 1.5".
But either way you cant do 285's without wheel spacers or a different wheel like roadbully has with less backspacing that makes the rim stick out more.

So you have to have some wheel spacers or 285s will not fit. that is good to know.

Did you do the body lift that RB used or did you do some other type of body lift. I know from RB's thread that he modified a Ranger body lift. I do not think anyone makes a body lift for a 3rd gen so I guess modifying a lift meant for something else is the only route?

So you have to have some wheel spacers or 285s will not fit. that is good to know.

Did you do the body lift that RB used or did you do some other type of body lift. I know from RB's thread that he modified a Ranger body lift. I do not think anyone makes a body lift for a 3rd gen so I guess modifying a lift meant for something else is the only route?

Yea I used Roadbully's "how to" thread and the same part# 883 body lift. Very usefull thread and not hard to do at all. If I were you I would start with the Roadbully spacers, the full lift, which I think he's doing 3" front and 2.5" rear. If you dont go all the way as high as you can I think you might regret it later. Especially if your goal is to fit 285's one day.

Yea I used Roadbully's "how to" thread and the same part# 883 body lift. Very usefull thread and not hard to do at all. If I were you I would start with the Roadbully spacers, the full lift, which I think he's doing 3" front and 2.5" rear. If you dont go all the way as high as you can I think you might regret it later. Especially if your goal is to fit 285's one day.

You might be right. I had decided to just go with 265s but I am getting tire envy looking at you guys with 285s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might be right. I had decided to just go with 265s but I am getting tire envy looking at you guys with 285s.

I had went back to the 265's cause of my rubbing but quickly decided to go ahead with the lift and put my 285's back on that were still in the garage. Even after the Body lift I want to go bigger still. The ride feels better with the 285's too.

Back