2dr vs. 4dr tire size! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2dr vs. 4dr tire size!

I was thinking today that the 2dr explorers weigh less than the 4drs. Therefore, the 2dr explorers are higher off the ground. Because the suspension pushes up more on the 2dr. Maybe not much of a difference. So, is it easier to fit 31's under a 95 2dr rather a 4dr. I really want 31's, or maybe 32X9.50's If it is anyway possible. So how many of you think that my theory is a good one. Isn;t there some difference?

Before I say anything about your theory, I should ensure you that 31x10.5's will fit on your truck without modifications. 32x11.5's will reportedly fit with the torsion bar lift up front and extended shackles or add-a-leaf's in back. I haven't done it and thus can not say for sure. I do have 31x10.5's which I ran stock for a while, but I have since done the torsion/shackle lift.

Now for your theory:
While it is true that your 2dr is lighter than a 4dr, you also have softer springs so it sits at roughly the same height. Check your driver's side door sticker (on the edge part of the door that is covered when it's closed) for your spring codes. My 95 4dr has "B" springs up front and "F" in the back. I beleive these are the stiffest springs available on an explorer (correct me if I'm wrong). The springs get softer as the letters go up. I will guess that you have "L" code springs in the back, which are the softest available.

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

I was recently invloved in a wreck, and they had to replace m driver side door. So I do not have that sticker anymore. I was wanting to put 32X9.50 not 11.50.

I don't know if 32x9.5's will fit stock, but I think they would fit nicely with the torsion bar/shackle lift. My question is, who makes 32x9.5's and where did you find them?

I don't really know. I think that I could have them ordered that way, or I think that I heard of a tire company that has them, but I forgot their name. I would just have to look on the internet for them. I really cannot do the torsion bar/shackle lift, the explorers in my dads name and we wouldn't go for nothing like that. I was lucky to talk him into getting 30's put on it. When I move out, hopefully soon when I find a better job than McDonalds I will try to lift it some, or trade it in on something else. Maybe a F-250. It's hard to find a computer job in North Georgia that's not i Atlanta, and one that you can work part-time since I go to college. I have no experience in computer related jobs, but I work on peoples computer from my parents house when I find someone that will pay to get their computer fixed.

Back