• Register Today It's free!

2dr vs 4dr driveshaft

stephen93Eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford explorer sport
anyone know the length difference between 2dr and 4 dr rear driveshaft. I just got a 4dr parts rig and had the intentions of using the 4dr driveshaft in my 2 dr once i switch to spring over and a little more then 4 inches of lift. anyone know? suppose if not I will know soon enough when I pull it apart. just thought I would ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure the 4 door shaft will be too long even with the lift.

Probably 11” or so...based on the wheelbase difference.

you can get it shortened cheap don't need a new tube [pricey]
roscoe

An option would be to get a ranger driveshaft that is a double cardan and set your pinion pointed to the transfer case. It would keep your pinion flange, ujoint, and driveshaft higher so it doesn't hit stuff as easy offroad.

Another option would be to take a front 1354 transfer case yoke and put on the rear of your 1354, allowing you to run a double cardan front explorer/ranger driveshaft on the rear. You would still have to lengthen it. It would benefit the same as 1st option.

A 4 door 1st gen rear shaft would be a great option if you aren't hardcore wheeling it. The axle yoke has to be parallel with the transfer case yoke. This is the route I went when I first did my spring over axle conversion. It didn't take me long to destroy a driveshaft on a rock.

I then had to remove the axle and cut the axle spring perches. Bought new ones and tilted the pinion up. I am running the 1354 front output on the rear of my explorer with an adams driveshaft (explorer front) on the rear. It works good offroad. I only carry one spare square driveshaft when offroad because it has enough slip to fit front or rear.

Just some options to think about.

Back