• Register Today It's free!

2K Explorer XLT

2kXLTkid

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hey how's it going. Well, I've been a GM fan all my life and have been through three so far (Only 17). Winter's coming and I decided I wanted a 4x4 so I headed to the lot hoping to find a Silverado or 4x4 S10. No luck on my intentions, however, I did find a 2000 Explorer XLT and decided to go for it. Had it for two days nows and I'm impressed. Decided I'd like to keep this one for a good while. Has the 4.0L SOHC V6, with the works inside. Would like to start doing work on it to make it off-road worthy but I'm not sure what to start with. I do have a few questions about it though. What are the stock off-road abilities? Should I worry about the fabled "flip over and explode" :roll: and besides the tire defects, anything else I should worry about? Thanks for the feedback and hope to be off-road soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. You'll find out that these things are suprisingly capable off-road, and you will have a hard time rolling it on the street, off-road depending on what the obstacles are is much easier.

Thanks for the info. Any sites I could look through for after-market parts? Best I've found is stylinconcepts but they have more accessories than useful parts.

Hey there!

Hey how's it going. Well, I've been a GM fan all my life and have been through three so far (Only 17). Winter's coming and I decided I wanted a 4x4 so I headed to the lot hoping to find a Silverado or 4x4 S10. No luck on my intentions, however, I did find a 2000 Explorer XLT and decided to go for it. Had it for two days nows and I'm impressed. Decided I'd like to keep this one for a good while. Has the 4.0L SOHC V6, with the works inside. Would like to start doing work on it to make it off-road worthy but I'm not sure what to start with. I do have a few questions about it though. What are the stock off-road abilities? Should I worry about the fabled "flip over and explode" :roll: and besides the tire defects, anything else I should worry about? Thanks for the feedback and hope to be off-road soon.

There are no tire defects... you should be good; and if you're going offroading stock tires might not be the best option IMO. The serious offroaders here (I'm not one) are not typically using stock. And to avoid the flip and explode deal, drive safely - all suvs, cars, trucks, etc flip and explode.

For the casual mountain snow traveler (me) I wouldn't rely on stock. Just my choice. Just stay safe :cool:

No vehicle explodes unless the gas tank is under extreme pressure and the gas has no exit. Unless its a pinto.

and...

No vehicle explodes unless the gas tank is under extreme pressure and the gas has no exit. Unless its a pinto.

They don't flip unless there is a driver ;)

A driver that doesn't know how to drive, i've already had people thinking i'm going to flip the 92 and most of my friends are amazed i haven't flipped my 94 with the way i drive it..

Exactly!

You would think the way people talk about flipping, it's like the truck just rolls over on its back like a happy puppy...

coffee in one hand, cell in the other, one knee on the wheel to steer, and "it" rolled over... strange.

Yeah, not exactly a hardcore off-roader myself but after constantly seeing muddy trucks at school, I figure I'll join in the fun. As for the tires, they did have a recall on the Firestones (correct me if I'm wrong) that came on the explorers from the showroom. Funny though that the owners manual directly warns you not to lift the vehicle or put bigger tires on it. Have to cross that part out :D

Yeah, you look at them and you think why is that so fun? And then once you go do it you find out why. At first i just liked big trucks when i was little, then it went to mudding/boggers now i'm into it all... Really wish we had more than just mud out here and my front ditch.

Ha!

Yeah, not exactly a hardcore off-roader myself but after constantly seeing muddy trucks at school, I figure I'll join in the fun. As for the tires, they did have a recall on the Firestones (correct me if I'm wrong) that came on the explorers from the showroom. Funny though that the owners manual directly warns you not to lift the vehicle or put bigger tires on it. Have to cross that part out :D

You were like 8 when the Firestone issue came up... If you still have that on your mind, you sound like you were a born offroader :cool:

Some of us never made it there, good luck! :salute:

welcome

hey now..

You would think the way people talk about flipping, it's like the truck just rolls over on its back like a happy puppy...

coffee in one hand, cell in the other, one knee on the wheel to steer, and "it" rolled over... strange.

Hey now.. I use my knee to steer all the time.. my truck hasn't decided to just... flip over.. lol..

Yep.

You all don't have the massive pothole situation we have, no?

Still one of the best movie clips ever... TOP SECRET!!!

Then again, this could be just as cool- but honestly- are there enough clues in this video to explain WHY this Pinto looks like this? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You all don't have the massive pothole situation we have, no?

Our roads are absolute crap in a lot of areas. I'll only do it when the roads are in considerably good condition. [common sense]

Back