2k ford explorer projector headlights to use in 2k mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2k ford explorer projector headlights to use in 2k mountaineer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swap to an explorer grille or fabricate the mountaineer grille. Could get an explorer grille and remove the Ford emblem and put a Mercury emblem in its place.

They look soo stupid on a SUV...

well, we all have our opinions. I actually drive for a living so I want lights that are bright and last a long time(the HIDS) and I like the projector housing still.

Sure, taste is debatable.

But what is not debatable is the glare those projectors make - but you probably don't care if you blind other drivers...

how about I make a video with my friend riding in another car with a camera and we drive towards each other and well see just how much glare there is. ok?

Could try to find a 1997 Mountaineer grill like on mine. The headlights are the same as the Explorer.

SEjgPjZl.jpg

Projector style lights dont cause bad glare. Its what the Europeans use and a lot of US cars have with factory hid lights and they dont blind other drivers.

The only reason an HID would cause glare is because the installer isn't using proper housings. HID's are not made to be used in the OEM housing, the lens's are designed to properly disperse halogen light.

It has been proven time and time again, and said an uncountable amount of times on this forum.

they should bolt right up to the mounty its just a explorer with a mercury badge on it body style didn't change, your gonna have to remove the grill to get them to seat. at least i did on mine

Projector style lights dont cause bad glare. Its what the Europeans use and a lot of US cars have with factory hid lights and they dont blind other drivers.

It requires the entire housing be designed for proper beam shape, not just an aftermarket drop-in designed to fit in the available space instead, AND in fact they (factory HID) do more often blind other drivers and there has been ongoing debate about what to do to change this.

It's also worth noting that the problem is made worse with the typical left rear sag that Explorers develop, especially with a load.

During all of my time using HIDs in my OEM housing, I was never flashed by anybody or told by anybody that looked at my lights, that they are blinding. Maybe its just the HIDs I bought. I have seen HIDs that are blinding, and they are usually on trucks with a big lift kit and using halogen housings.

^ How do you flash someone blinding you from behind?

That's a common problem with HID on trucks & SUVs, that they blind shorter (cars) without auto-dimming mirrors and even with auto dimming mirrors the continual wall of light inside the cabin is worse than a moment of light from someone passing you going the other direction.

I have experienced others with hids behind me in my old car, and all I do is adjust my mirror down or adjust the side mirrors so I dont have to look at it.

however, Id like to talk about how I can fit the lights in the mountaineer still

I think you just need to remove the Merc headlight and compare the mount to the Expl housing. They're probably pretty close but the radiator core holes might be different. I don't know how the Merc grille will fit with the Expl headlight, but you have the truck and the headlight in front of you - just take it apart and see. I don't know if anyone here has attempted this swap, so you may be the first one. Camacorn's suggestion may be the answer, but that requires changing your grille to a '97.

I have experienced others with hids behind me in my old car, and all I do is adjust my mirror down or adjust the side mirrors so I dont have to look at it.

and that is:

1) A sign they're blinding you

2) Complete BS. Nobody should ever have to adjust their mirrors because someone else has no regard for public safety. The burden, and penalty should always fall on the wrongdoer.

How many people are supposed to have to adjust their mirrors for every one person who shouldn't be driving at night if that person can't see with stock headlights?

In 1997 the Mercury Mountaineer used an Explorer style front grill and headlight assembly, in 1998, they revised the headlight and grill shape, the headlights are not the same shape, and no matter how you try to place them in, they will not fit without modification to the grill due to the headlights being smaller, that is why I suggested changing to a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer grill.

They're more rare too, so you'll look cool ;)

Not to say HIDs cannot be used in a reflector housing, but the reflector must be designed to the light source. The problem is, when you put a HID in a halogen housing, including halogen projector housings, the location of the light on the bulb is different, and isn't controlled properly.

For the best headlights, HID projector retrofits are the only way to go.

IMO, the only people who put in HIDs in a factory housing are doing so to look cool. It doesn't by the way, and is a really jerk move. HIDs in housings not designed for them actually hurt your vision at night: too much foreground light, and hot spots in addition to the glare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, the topic is not whether or not HIDs blind others, but how I can fit explorer lights in a mountaineer. what are the steps to remove the grill, and more importantly, where can i find a 2k explorer or 97 mounty grill?

Back