2nd Gen CCFL Projectors - HIDS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen CCFL Projectors - HIDS?

I recently bought CCFL projectors for my 2000 Sport. I love them and they look and work great... but also in the kit was a 8000k HID kit I'm supposed to install somehow. I know they're supposed to go into the high beam halogen, but has anyone figured out how to put HIDs in the projector housing? I'd rather have HIDs in the projector housing than a halogen bulb. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The HIDs they included are for your low beams, not your high, though, if you are even considering putting HID bulbs in, I would buy a lower color temperature bulb. 8000k is a LOT less usable light than a bulb in the 4300-5000k range, nearing less usable light than a halogen.

They should mount exactly the same way as your standard bulbs.

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah, lol I meant the low beams, but the seller has told me the HIDs are supposed to go into the halogen housing, which is the high beam for me since my low beam is my projector housing.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this because the headlights I ordered have two covers of the back of each housing. When I removed the covers, the halogen housing looks like I can replace the bulb, but the projector does not. There was nothing to 'pull out', just a sealed projector housing. So I was wondering if anyone figured out how to replace said bulb?

These are the headlights I'm talking about:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/37622025665427714071489.jpg/

That is a halogen projector housing. Halogens can be housed in projectors or reflector housings, just like HIDs can be housed in both. Those projectors are designed for a halogen bulb however.

As far as replacing the bulb... I'm not sure what you are talking about. The HID bulb should go in the same place as your halogen bulb went. The HID bulb should have an adapter collar on it even so that it will align with the tabs that the Halogen bulb fit on.

Hmm... I 'll have to take another look over the weekend then, I don't have the time to put the headlights off. Could have sworn the housing was completely sealed off from access. But thanks for your replies, I'll be sure to post some pictures of what I meant.

I used to have the LED version of those eBay projectors and used a HID kit in the low beams no problem. I know of others who have used them in the CCFL version too.

My old setup before I went with retrofit projectors in Diamond Cut housings:

GreenSpoiler-2.jpg

Its very easy, if my mind serves me correct; then theres a metal "clip" that pushes the bulb in.

The bulb doesnt turn or twist, it goes straight in and straight out. Ill try to find some old pictures of the back of mine. Give me a few minutes.

2010-12-30134758.jpg

I have the same housings, so this is exactly what yours should look like. (Besides mine had the HID bulb in it already here)

Just cut a slit in that rubber boot for the wires from the HID bulb
2010-12-30135406.jpg

:thumbsup:
2010-12-31144941.jpg

are these ebay headlight housing pretty nice.. if im gonna drop $200 i want at least a little quality. projectors any count?? think they would handle 55w hids?

are these ebay headlight housing pretty nice.. if im gonna drop $200 i want at least a little quality. projectors any count?? think they would handle 55w hids?

Decent quality. Could be better, but not bad. Don't do 55w. You'll toast the projectors.

Hey, I finally found the time to properly look at the headlights and my HIDs that came with the kit.

BrianDye - my headlights are like yours except mine did not come with the HIDs pre-installed. Here's a picture of what Im dealing with.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/cimg1022i.jpg/

The ballast is attached to the HIDs, but from the HIDs are two wires a red and black wire. Red is obviously positive and black negative, but my question is where do I plug them into? They are far too short to goto the battery (won't want that anyway) and the 9007 harness is used my the headlight.

Well when I clicked that link, I got to glance at your picture before tons of popups came up "Your computer is infected with viruses" so I closed it.

It looks like your kit is more of a universal one. Mine did not come with HIDs, I ordered them seperately, as I didnt want low quality eBay ones. The red wire will goto your positive lead from your headlight harness plug. (The piece that plugs into your headlight bulb now), and the negative to the negative lead. If the kit was a 9007, it would just plug right into that, having a female end for your 9007 male end.

Virus? Sorry about that, it should just direct you to imageshack.

http://postimage.org/image/4i3rptmo9/

Seems I can't directly link the image, but the HID kit that came with the projectors has two wires coming from the bulb, red/black. Then it goes down about 2-3 inches into a rubber tube that has 4 wires out, both ways. Two go to the ballasts and link back to the original wiring... so it's a closed loop pretty much, then there's the two wires that are separate red and black that don't go anywhere. When you say they should plug into the harness... I tried that. They're too wide. Clearly not compatible. I emailed the company and they said it's an H1 kit and should fit...but failed to explain WHERE the wires go to if they don't go to the harness. I shouldn't have to splice them, else why would they fit a male connector to the extra wires?

I'm just going to order a 35w kit thats 9007 compatible. I had a kit before, and I don't remember this being so damn complex. Should be simple plug and play.... err shine, not play.

Back