• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen parts for 1st gen?

stog94

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
What parts if any from a 2nd gen will bolt onto a 1st gen with minor modification?

I'd like to try to find a lift gate as I think the slender brakelight looks better and swapping out the front end would be nice too...

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front is possible, dont know about the rear though... Check out Rick's X. It is a 94 with a new front end.

ricks frontend had perry fiberglass and then he went back to a stock second gen front... the liftgate will fit fine, however, the profile of the lights will be off, you will need to be proficient with blending, and also cutting of the rear fenders to allow the more curved lights to fit.....

I took the fat style front fender flares off of a 98 and put them on my 91. Curve of the fenders appear to be the same.

i dont know about the front, (except that the radiator support on my 92 was a PITA to remove) but i know the deal with the liftgates. 91-97 lifegates will interchange perfectly, mechanically. body lines, everything will fit. the only thing that will need modded is the third brake light, as it is a florencent instead of incodesent (sp?) and will prolly require a fuse change, and then you have to wire in the ballist for the light. im not sure of the exact wiring, someone else can shed some light (hmm, a pun). the 98-01 will fit with some body modifications, as the curviture is different. well, hope i helped.

NICE59FORDF100 - Thanks for the info, that helps a lot.

I shouldn't have any problem with any wiring that's required. Now I just have to find a liftgate ;-)

Thanks.

Back