2nd Gen, remove DRL relay with HID's??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen, remove DRL relay with HID's???

Hey guys,
installed some of the one piece projector CCFL style headlights a few months back, and just fitted them with 8000K HID's.

I remember someone saying to remove the DRL relay once the HID bulbs were in. 2 questions:

1. Why is this done?
2. Which relay is it? (In the owners manual there is one listed as DRL/parking lamp relay, and another listed as DRL Diode)

Thanks for the help!

-Greg

The reason you remove it is because the DRL function just drives the headlight at low voltage. Running that same voltage to your HID ballast will cause it to do one of several things, but most likely flicker or not come on, and that low voltage will cause your ballast to fail prematurely. If it flickers, your bulbs will also fail prematurely.

As a side note, you should pick up some 4200k or at least 6000k bulbs if you actually want to see. 8000k is significantly bluer, which causes more eyestrain, and doesn't create as much usable light (or even as much light in general) as either of the two colors I listed.

So which relay is it, #4 or #11?

I don't know. I don't have DRLs in mine. I was going to check because the owner's manual says #4 is fogs and DRL, and #11 is parklamps and mainlamp switch, but I forgot about it.

Just unplug the module. It is under the bumper by the left fog IIRC. Unplugging the diode might be fine too.

:edit: didn't notice you had another thread on this. Just saw it in the related threads. Go ahead an unplug the module. It is somewhat a PITA to reach, but, it isn't bad to have to plug that back in later. You can leave the module mounted. That will kill the power for your DRLs.

Back