2nd post(rear door)Can U do this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd post(rear door)Can U do this

Reaction score
City, State
pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 limited
:rolleyes:Hey I like the newer style door as in the rear door.It seems like the 1996-1998 ford explorer have the same rear door and brake lights,now the 1998-2001 model seems to have changed the rear door a little but everything else seem to be in the same specs,so can the newer model explorer 1999-2001 rear door fit the 1996-1998.?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you mean hatch, they are a different styles on the 95-97 vs. 98-01.

To swap from one to the other, you need at least a hatch, rear bumper, windows are different (including rear side and hatch glass) as well as the reflective of the rear passenger doors (silvery vs. black tint) and the biggest problem is that the taillights are different, and thus the cut on the rear side of the truck, you will need to do body work on the 95-97 to get the cut to look right on the rear quarterpanel.

OK, it must be a slight diff my buddy has a 1999 and when they r next to each other they are very I mean a very slight diff.I took a measurement of each door and they measure the same,maybe I am over looking something??

Are you talking about the rear side door, or the rear hatch? The rear side doors are the same shell. The hatches are completely different.

The tail lights are actually interchangeable. Its the 91-94's who would need body work.

No, they are completely different. For starters, the top part has a different profile. 95-97 is flat, whereas 98-01 round off. Then the taillights. the 98+ taillights stick out about an inch more, and are rounded. The profile where the taillights mount to the rear quarter panel are also different. It can be done, but you're looking at A LOT of sheetmetal work.

No, they are completely different. For starters, the top part has a different profile. 95-97 is flat, whereas 98-01 round off. Then the taillights. the 98+ taillights stick out about an inch more, and are rounded. The profile where the taillights mount to the rear quarter panel are also different. It can be done, but you're looking at A LOT of sheetmetal work.

Oh. My bad.

Well, I had the opportunity to see exactly what happens when you put 98-01 tail lights in a 95-97 Explorer (and visa versa). I know a lot of people have been asking if '98 tails will fit in their '95-97 Explorers. So here are your answers:

Dead Link Removed
Hatch open - '96 Explorer with '98 tail lights

Dead Link Removed
Hatch open - '98 Explorer with '96 tail lights

Everything looks good, huh? The problem occurs when you close the hatch! :confused:

Dead Link Removed
Hatch closed - '96 Explorer with '98 tail lights

Dead Link Removed
Hatch closed - '98 Explorer with '96 tail lights

As you can see, it just doesn't look good. :rolleyes:

Ok, then why not just change the gate and the tail lights????

unfortunately no, because even so, the roof lines are different. and back to the taillights, the actual shape is different. Overall, its only by about an inch, but the curvature where they sit against the rear quarter panel are different. I tried some smoked out lights from a 98 on my 97, and they did not fit at all. I trimmed them with a dremel and still, there's no way they would have worked without remolding the plastic.

unfortunately no, because even so, the roof lines are different. and back to the taillights, the actual shape is different. Overall, its only by about an inch, but the curvature where they sit against the rear quarter panel are different. I tried some smoked out lights from a 98 on my 97, and they did not fit at all. I trimmed them with a dremel and still, there's no way they would have worked without remolding the plastic.

Where are you getting this info from? :confused:

The roof lines are the same. All you need to do the swap is the tailgate and tail lights. To make it look good you'll need the bumper and the rear side windows. A handful of people have done this swap.

I just call 'em how I see 'em. I've tried the newer style lights, with no luck getting them to fit (with the exception of the inch protrusion past the rear gate of course). And a friend (of sorts) tried a 00 hatch on his 95 and the roof lines were quite off. Might have been some other issues. But if others have done it, I may have just gotten unlucky. Wouldn't be the first time haha.

Tailgate swop

Hi All from the UK
I just did this job two days ago, and as far as I am concerned it is an easy mod to do.
So my Ex is a UK 1997 model with the offset number plate and the handle to open the glass and the hatch.
I liked the newer tailgate so I asked on the UK Forum and was told it could be done if you changed the tail lamps also.
I bought a complete tailgate from a 1998 model, central numper plate and push button lock, off Ebay and bought the lights when I went to collect it.
Within 1 hour of getting home I had swopped the tailgate and lights and it fits perfectly, no body mods required. It was a really easy job, and it looks great.
Now there is an over rider here, the wiring harness in the tailgates are different and on connecting up, the central locking in the tailgate didnt work. I swopped the harness and it started working but not correctly so i am still investigating this (it may be that I have just drained the battery).

Hope this helps
Chris

Thanks for the first-hand input! :cool:

Where are you getting this info from? :confused:

The roof lines are the same. All you need to do the swap is the tailgate and tail lights. To make it look good you'll need the bumper and the rear side windows. A handful of people have done this swap.

I plan on Swapping in the bumper, the hatch, the lights (have to get one for the passenger side because its cracked) and all of the trim to go all the way around.

Back