2wd ok? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2wd ok?

bkil55

Reaction score
City, State
CINCINNATI OH
I am in the process of ordering a new Explorer through work, problem is they are telling that the only 2011's that they can get are 2wd, no 4wd unless i want to wait for 2012's, which I may not get delivered until Oct. I live in Cincinnati where we get some snow and ice every year. So is 2wd workable in that? I currently have a 99 toyota landcruiser (242k miles) but have never needed to use the 4wd in that. Thanks in advance for any feedback, this forum is awesome and has helped me finalize my decision on finally getting a new Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in Minnesota, and just made it through one of the snowiest winters in history with my '02 Explorer's 4wd not working - RWD only. I didn't have any problems at all. Our other vehicle is a Honda Accord, and it was fine too. It depends on where you live (does the city keep up with plowing?) and how you use your vehicle. We live on a fairly busy residential street which is always well-plowed. We ordered our '11 with FWD to save some money both in initial cost and gas. We test drove an '11 Edge FWD when there was some snow on the ground, and it was very stable and had no problem getting through it - even off the beaten path. Sure, you won't be able to get through as much snow as with the AWD, and it takes away some of the confidence and fun in driving it, but for practicality, I don't think it's a huge deal. It's a heavy vehicle with FWD and good traction control, so you'll be better off than most vehicles on the road without AWD/4WD. Just my 2 cents.

Jason

We live in metro Detroit, so we do get some significant snowfall, we ended up buying FWD because it's what was available on the dealer lot and we wanted the vehicle right away.
If available, we would have gone for the AWD, but did not feel like ordering the vehicle with AWD and waiting 8-12 weeks for the vehicle... Our previous cars have been FWD passats and they have handled ok for the last 10 winters in Michigan.

I live 25 miles east of Cincy and drove 66 mile round trip for 27 years,1964 to 1991.My first set of radial tires in the early 70's were a vast improvement,at the time.My first 4wd was in 1989,I used it once.I have had a total of five 4wd vehicles,four of those never seen 4wd engaged.
I have tried to stick a 1993 Sho in six inches of snow,without success.Unless you are planning to go off road ,and I mean rough off road,FWD seems to be all you would need in the Cincinnati area.

2 wheel is FWD and better than RWD on snow, so it will be ok, but a step down from AWD or 4WD. For me, if you are going to spend that kind of money, I say always hold out for what you REALLY want, or it will come back to haunt you!

Another consideration is gas milage, FWD versus 4WD.We are getting 19.1 mpg around town in the 2011 Ex.On a recent trip to Mich.,my wife got a little over 26mpg,speeds 60 to 65 mph.This was calculated mpg,not by the computer.Just pointing out a plus for FWD with gas at the $4.00 mark.

I am in the process of ordering a new Explorer through work, problem is they are telling that the only 2011's that they can get are 2wd, no 4wd unless i want to wait for 2012's, which I may not get delivered until Oct. I live in Cincinnati where we get some snow and ice every year. So is 2wd workable in that? I currently have a 99 toyota landcruiser (242k miles) but have never needed to use the 4wd in that. Thanks in advance for any feedback, this forum is awesome and has helped me finalize my decision on finally getting a new Explorer.

I had the same dilemma regarding FWD vs AWD, we ended settling for the FWD:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310413

I live in Atlanta... and we don't get too much snow. Maybe 2" every couple of years... but coming from a 4WD Wrangler, I opted for the 4WD Explorer order. It sounds silly but this past winter when we did get those 2 inches, people were leaving their cars on the bottom of the hill cause nobody could get their vehicles into the neighborhood except for the 4X4 trucks and my Wrangler.

Granted, we get nothing like Chicago and Michigan but our city only have like 5 snow plows so 2" = a week trapped at home. I was happy to be able to go grocery shopping and feeling confident driving in my Jeep. Many others had to walk a little over a mile to the closest grocery store or opt to stay home.

I guess it really depends on where you live and the conditions you are expecting. We already have a Honda Fit for good gas mileage traveling but for those few times when we need the grip, IMHO it's nice to have it on hand.

opted for the 4WD Explorer order

And next winter YOU will be joining those people leaving their cars on the bottom of the hill...

Probably. I don't feel as confident with this system as I do with the Wrangler, but then again, I haven't tested it at all in bad weather. Hopefully we're both wrong and karma doesn't bite me for laughing at all the neighbors who had to park their cars downhill. (*Though I did help push a few of them up the hill too.)

opted for the 4WD Explorer order

And next winter YOU will be joining those people leaving their cars on the bottom of the hill...
Your wrangler was RWD base, no need for a highly agressive TDC system. The new Explorer is FWD base, rear drive coupled in only as an afterthought. Slight slip on those front wheels and you're STUCK. Now you can either park it and walk the rest of the way home or figure out a way to disable the TDC system temporarily.

Let the engine idle, open the hood and disconnect the MAF/IAT sensor wiring cable connector. The engine will die, reconnect the cable, restart the engine and be on your way. You will have a CEL, with TDC and VSC disabled, for the next few drive cycles.

ummm or.... couldn't you just select the disable option from the menu?

You never needed to use 4WD in your Toyota landcruiser because it's RWD which is lot more benign, more safe driving dynamics, on a slippery surface vs a (2WD) FWD vehicle.

Same for O2Sploder's older Explorer, default RWD.

All modern day FWD vehicles have TDC, Traction/Directional Control systems that in order to prevent loss of control are extremely aggressive, INSTANT wheel braking and engine dethrottling. You cannot get up and going initially on the slippery stuff. That's why most of these have a TDC disable function.

In the interest of being complete... most all RWD vehicles w/ TCS also have a button to disable it. And the TCS on RWD is just as aggressive as FWD... And we all know you are an Anti-2WD, Anti-Biased AWD, and Anti-2011 Explorer member here ;)

BTW..

To most people, TDC stands for Top dead center, not Traction/Direction Control.. TCS is the standard acronym for Traction control system, so that people aren't confusing those trying to help them ;)

Being in Michigan, I would honestly hold out for the AWD. And since your not too far from MI, I bet you see alot of what we see here. I have AWD, and great tires, and plowed through everything winter threw at me.

Just having FWD, I would opt for some REALLY good tires, maybe even find a set of 16" blah wheels that will fit, and spend some money on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's or simaler. Then you should be fine with FWD.

(I stand by Blizzak's because my dad has a Crown Vic, and he bought a set of steelies, and a brand new set of Blizzaks, and got through EVERYTHING. His brother Ken moved to a neighborhood with a VERY steep incline that even his truck couldnt get up, but the Vic got up there like the road was clear. I would have got a set but I needed new tires, and the Blizzak's are really only snow tires; needless to say, I couldnt afford both.)

Most of the recent TCS RWD vehicles since about 2000 have a different implementation of TCS. Like with FWD, RWD TCS behinds applying the braking INSTANTLY, but delays dethrottling the engine for a short period to give the drievr time to react and adjust drive torque.

And where is this information coming from? Cause it sounds made up, and I have never seen any supporting evidence of this. My 2006 350z, my 2005 Colorado, my 2004 s10, my 2009 Subaru forrester, all had TCS in which the throttle was dumped as soon as traction was compromised.. All Post 2000 vehicles, all RWD. I actually have not had the throttle on the 2011 explorer dump once yet, and I've been over some sketchy surfaces. I'm still calling BS.

You never show any supporting facts, or explain where you come up with your information, just spew a bunch of stuff that makes no sense. Its really annoying.

The first car I noticed that had a delayed de-throttling was a Lexus GS300. It was/is also a matter of the throttle position "entry" level. If I was aware of the roadbed situation and was already being carefull with how much throttle I was using I experienced the dethrottling delay. On the other hand if I was hard on the throttle and encountered wheelspin it brought me up short instantly.

I've not driven very many of the newer RWD models and less so in wintertime conditions but the few that I have most, including at least one BMW, definitely exhibited the dethrottling delay.

According to what I have read over the years the dethrottling on a RWD was primarilly to prevent brake component overheating in the case of an inexperiencing driver continuing to use hard throttling. On a FWD it is the need to return directional control capability INSTANTLY regardless of driver input.

bunch of stuff that makes no sense..

???

So your limited experience with 2 cars... makes it so ;) AWESOME! This is pretty much like all other advice you have given on this board. Just my 2 cents.

[...](I stand by Blizzak's because my dad has a Crown Vic, and he bought a set of steelies, and a brand new set of Blizzaks, and got through EVERYTHING. His brother Ken moved to a neighborhood with a VERY steep incline that even his truck couldnt get up, but the Vic got up there like the road was clear. I would have got a set but I needed new tires, and the Blizzak's are really only snow tires; needless to say, I couldnt afford both.)

Lived/worked in Fairbanks, Alaska for a few years. Took a second job delivering pizzas for tips, and after hitting black ice/totaling my vehicle, I went Blizzaks all the way around..unbelieveable snow and ice grip..like tiny litte fingers sticking to the ice.

Never lost traction on those..I drove those tires down the Alaska/Canada highway to South Carolina. Traded that vehicle in for a truck with the Blizzaks still on them:) Only downside is that the Blizzaks are soo soft, they lose tread fast driving on anything but snow/ice.

Back