• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4wd Swap

duckhunterpat

Reaction score
City, State
Satellite Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Ok, so not like I didn't search the forums for this but nobody had a true solid answer. I have SAS my 98 2wd Explorer and have the 5R55E Transmission in it. Obviously I am going to convert the truck to 4wd because a full width Dana 44 and FW 8.8 is no good without a Transfer Case.

I am going to be getting all of my parts for example,

5R55E 4x4 Tranny
Borg Warner 13-54 Transfer Case
Tranny Crossmenber
Etc.....

Ok so here's the question..........

Can I use the stock computer that is mounted into the firewall under the hood if I use a manual transfer case? Or do I need the other computer?

Or if I decide to use the automatic transfer case, do I need the computer as well?

Please, help me out, I lost and confused when it comes to the computer bulls**t.

Thanks in advance, Pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 4x4 module controls the tcase, it is located in the rear drivers fender area, you will need this is you plan on using the 4x4 transfercase electric pushbutton/switch

Does this module do anything to the PATS System? For example, if I install this module and dont get the keys and transponder from the donor vehicle, will the truck run?

Anyone have any pictures of this thing?

Anyone have any idea if the 4x4 module screws up the PATS system, and do you have pics of it?

the GEM module or electric shift module is independant of the PCM (truck and transmission computer)

Wiring up the push button 4x4 in your truck would be a chore and you will need ALL The parts and wiring from the donor truck.

Your absolute best bet here is to use a manual 1354 t case, not the e shift.

Now if all you have is the e shift case there are ways of making it shift WITHOUT using the electric shift motor. Check out the Mcneil trucks on this forum and discussions about making the electric shift t case into a manual shift case

hey if you are going to do the switch can i buy your 2wd parts (spindols tailstock driveshaft)

Most Likely, I have the stock 2wd drive spindles in the garage right now as well as an extra set of torsion bars. When I get done with every thing, Ill be selling the stock spindles, 3" lift spindles, old 5x4.5 rims, the B-Rated Tbars and all the other crap that has taken over.

the 4x4 module controls the tcase, it is located in the rear drivers fender area, you will need this is you plan on using the 4x4 transfercase electric pushbutton/switch

Incorrect. As 410 fortune said, the current Control Trac function is handled by the GEM, and making it interface with an electric 13-54 would require an EE with a lot of experience making a circuit board that could interface with the OEM system and act as a middle-man to interpret the signals. It would be a completely custom interface box, and a pain in the butt to repair should it fail. Again, you'd be better off with a manual t-case.

-Joe

Back