3.0L tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.0L tranny

Diz

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Will A 3.0L 4X4 ranger auto trans work on my 4.0L 4X4 x bellhouseing and transfer case? If not has anyone done a swap i can get a free 3.0Lmotor still in a ranger. With all wiring it is from a 00 of newer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bell housings, and torque converters are not the same. They could be swapped if necessary.

So if i used my bell houseing and my converter it will work? That motor was out of a 93 ranger does that mean it is a A4LD with a differant bellhousing?

What year is the Explorer? The Ranger is a 93 with an A4LD. The check ball configuration, boost valve, and a few other things are different on a 4.0L equipped A4LD, but it could still be used on a 3.0L.

the ranger is the 93 with the 3.0 i am wanting to know if it would fit a 94 explorer with the 4.0 I thought the bell housings are differant between the 3 and 4 L

the bell housings are different, but that's only the half of it. I'm guessing that your 4.0 tranny is toast. the pump may not be any good, you'll have to inspect the 4.0 pump for wear.

since you will have to remove the 4.0 pump from the bellhousing to check it, you might as well put the 3.0 pump on the 4.0 bellhousing. the pump will have to be aligned to the bellhousing using an alignment tool. don't try to "wing it" without proper alignment.

not aligning the pump to the bellhousing can (and will) cause premature seal failure and can cause damage to the pump gears themselves.

I'm a noob at these things, but I have built 2 A4LD's and a "sort of" frankentranny since joining this forum a while back. cross your fingers and knock on wood.....they are currently working okay. ;)

Back