3-3 Airbag Flashing light code: Get rid of it for free! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3-3 Airbag Flashing light code: Get rid of it for free!

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
My 2002 XLS 4WD has had the airbag light flashing for over a year. I just velcroed my garage door opener in front of it so I couldn't see it, and,...so it would pass State Inspections.

The other day, I decided to have a look at it again. I started reading threads here, and it seemed like the fix was buying a replacement tensioner wiring kit or complete harness with new seat belt clip for either $59 or $129. The problem generally was bad contact between the male and female side of the yellow connector under the drivers seat. I tried pulling the halves of the connector apart and reconnecting as some said this would fix it temporarily.

I decided to take a chance on just cutting the entire male and female connector out and replacing it with a few generic male-female connectors I had laying around. I thought about just simply twisting the wires together and taping them,(that would be the No-cost fix)....but decided I would want the ability to do a disconnect if I needed to remove the seat in the future.

Once the yellow connector was gone and my cheapy male-female connectors were in place and connected....Problem solved. No More Air Bag flashing light codes..

42wr.jpg

wau6.jpg

...That yellow connector has been giving Ranger owners fits for years...;)

..It's common for it to get some dust inside and throw a code...often times, pulling it apart and a blast of air is all it needs (with no moisture)..:hammer:

I did the same thing but pulled seat and rewired from pretensioner right up to the controller in the center console and added a disconnect using gold plated aircraft grade contacts. Problem never came back. I always had a code 34 that would come on at least once a month. Did rewire in April and hasnt been back since.

Back