• Register Today It's free!

3.55 --> 4.10 Am I right?

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I am currently running 31's with 3.55 open diff and am changing to 4.10s. The power was OK, but the 4.10s will most likely smoke my current performance, hence my question. I bought Richmond gears at Summit and the guy said that FordRacing and Richmond produce ONLY rear axles. I didn't believe him, so I bought two of the 4.10s from RIchmond for the Explorer, but are there different part numbers for the front and rear?? I'm getting these installed tomorrow so I am a little nervous if I got the wrong part. The two gears I bought have the same number and are the same part, but I'm wondering if the fronts are different from the rear.
Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure..but tell us how it goes..im thinking of going to 4:10s(currently have 3:73s)

You got it. ;)

I am interested also, i have a 97 xlt. I am wondering if the front ring and pinion would be reverse rotation?

Ah the front axle in your rig is a D35. If you got two set's of 8.8, then your in trouble.

Anyone know where to get the correct part?

I just checked on the specs. A dana 35 IFS has a ring gear dia. of 7.56 and the back speaks for itself 8.8. How about Randy's Ring and Pinion?

I just found that too! Thanks man, you just saved me a headache!! :D
I'm going to go pick up the RIchmond ones at Slummit right now...plus they're cheaper! ;)

Well, I just checked slummit and they said that nobody makes them. This is getting kinda weird, nobody makes 4.10 r&Ps for the explorer IFS D35?? I don't think so. I guess I'll just check tomorrow with the shop and see what they say, they may have the parts that are required.

The IFS is a standard rotation. I am sure it's the same as the Jeep D35 rear.

If it is let us know!

Are you saying that no one makes any r&p numericaly higher then whats in a stock d35ifs. Or is it just the 4.10 that they don't have. Could they have a 4.56 r&p and then go with a slightly taller tires

I think your right about the standard rotation. Maybe someone could chime in about that. I'll keep checking. Anyway Red keep us informed on your progress.

I'll let you all know tomorrow when it is all said and done. I would think you guys are right, the Jeep D35 would be more than sufficient, but the employee at Slummit thought that we had reverse rotation, and those gears weren't being made according to her. I'll let you guys know what I hear tomorrow.

From what I've read on this site and information I've gathered from Ford and friends in racing, the 4.10 R&P is so popular that Ford has pretty much spoken for all of the production of those gear sets for the front diff. The D35 in the front of the Explorer is not a standard Dana 35, like a Zeep. So, you might be in trouble if you order a R&P for that diff and expect it to fit in your truck. Also, it is not reverse rotation.

I'm upgrading from 3.55s to 4.10s and am simply swapping axle assemblies (and installing lockers along the way). It's much cheaper to buy a 4.10 set of axles than pay someone to R&R your axles and install/setup new R&Ps. My research showed that even if you R&R the axles yourself, the cost to install/setup R&Ps is still more.

Hope this helps - Dave.

Thanks for the info!
I talked to the guy at the shop and we wasn't all that helpful with the exception of one piece of information: he said that most of these 4.10s for the D35 have to be shipped in from Detroit. Nobody around here had them available, with the exception of his source, and guess who that is? :rolleyes:
He said that not too many places make them, so most shops have to buy them from FordRacing directly. So I have an order coming in, he was actually pretty reasonable. He charged me $250 for the gears and the installation kit, but everyone else around town wanted to charge $400-$500. This guy has a great reputation too, but it definitely surprised me that these gears aren't sold too often in the market. With as many Xplorers as there are, you'd think there would be a huge market for them.

Oh wow :confused:

The 2nd gen front diff takes D35 standard rotation gears. I can't beleive that no one would have these in stock in the 4.10 ratio.

Notes to clear up this thread: The D35 is the REAR axle in Jeeps (and so are the standard rotation gears the 2nd gen takes.). Although the 2nd gen explorer takes D35 gears it is NOT a standard D35 carrier. I have also heard the D35 refered to as an M35 (Randys R&P for example). The 1st gen explorer takes reverse rotation D35 gears.

Thanks Jeff, I stand corrected (I think....... :confused: ) :D

Dave.

So where can you get gears for the Front D35 on a fist gen? A gear swap is next for me. Nothing drastic just 3.73 & maybe a locker/LS in the rear. I have 3.27's now. I know it would be cheaper to swap axles, but I'm not doing that. I'm giving it to a shop to do. I'm done working on the truck myself given the pain my sus lift gave me.

Hey Jason. I bought some FordRacing 4.10s at Slummit with the installation kit for about $300. I got the 4.10 D35 for the front IFS through the gear shop, but apparently he got them direct from Ford in Detroit. Larry, my friend at the Ford dealership who has been nothing but helpful and honest, even said that almost all shops have to get them from detroit. He hasn't even found a location to buy 4.10s besides Ford.
I got the Ford 4.10s for the D35 for about the same price, so they don't really rape you for them. They are beautiful gears. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW- forgot to mention. Tomorrow is the day for the swap and I should get the truck back on Friday. I can't wait to see how it goes...I'll let you all know!

Back