3.5L EcoBoost Turbo Oil Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5L EcoBoost Turbo Oil Leak

I noticed oil burning smell a few weeks ago, took my 2016 Explorer Sport to my mechanic for an oil change, He called me and stated there is oil leaking from the rear turbo. I just bought the car July 2020 with 72,000 miles on it. No warranty. :(
I disagree with Peter 100%. Any oil leak in an engine is a cause for concern and safety, as it can cause a fire. I have a 2017 Explorer Sport, with 51,000 miles on it! I have been having issues for about 9 months now. I keep getting engine misfire faults and emissions electrical concern faults, that are targeting both of my passenger side exhaust O2 sensors. I was told about an oil leak around my turbo back in December 2020 when I had been searching for a Ford dealer to do right by my concerns for loss of power, idling issues, poor fuel economy, etc. I was assured that the oil leak was around my turbo and not in it! However, I found the oil leaking from the passenger exhaust while the vehicle was running in Park and I was standing behind it, while it was raining. Low and behold oil can be seen on the pavement repelling the water on the ground. Hmm looks like oil is NOT only leaking around the rear turbo but is finding its way into the system, damaging O2 sensors, possibly damaging the cat and most likely the rear turbocharger! I have had mine in 3 different Ford dealers, one admitted there was an oil leak and "was looking into it" but they won't return my calls or voice messages (this is the dealer that found it first). Another told me it was so small and NORMAL! WRONG! No oil leak is normal! And the third just won't even look and wants me to replace O2 sensors. Why would I replace O2 sensors when the oil leak (that no one will fix) is what damaged them and will ruin new O2 sensors as well!? I need this escalated to a regional service manager! I have powertrain warranty until 60,000 miles or 5 years (2022). I purchased this explorer in July of 2020 and want to love it so bad, but am just getting my heart broken!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OEM turbos are not durable... Especially as these vehicles age. Sounds like the internal bearing seal is gone and dumping oil into the exhaust. It is in fact ruining components as it leaks. I would stop the dealer chase and bring it to an independent Ford tech. If you have a warranty its pretty simple just ask for the manager and put the car on a lift. Have them remove the passenger catalytic converter and look inside the turbo. Im sure its caked in black oil.

I replaced the turbos on my explorer with aftermarket OEM from RockAuto and no more oil leaks ... And a helluva lot cheaper than a dealership.

An oil leak is a major safety issue. Any oil leak in an engine can cause a fire! There are more than 5 Ford owners that have this problem or Ford would not have issued TSBs regarding turbo oil supply line leaking. The Ford F-150s with the turbocharged ecoboost engines have this problem as well.
There may well be more than 5 owners with this issue but I was referring to this forum. Apparently Ford does not consider it a safety issue if they only issued a TSB and not a Recall. Do you happen to have the TSB or TSB number for this issue with the Explorer? I can add it to the TSB thread.
Thanks.

Peter

2014 explorer sport that has the same issue. oil leaking from the oil supply line to the rear turbo. $1200 is what I was quoted to have it repaired due to having to drop the sub-frame to get to it.

2014 explorer sport that has the same issue. oil leaking from the oil supply line to the rear turbo. $1200 is what I was quoted to have it repaired due to having to drop the sub-frame to get to it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Was this issue corrected from 2017 going forward?

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A Recall is only issued for Safety related issues. BTW, there are only 5 members here who have posted about the issue. It is not a common one.

Peter
make that 6....mine has 100k. oil can catch fire and burn car to ground...I would say that qualifies as a safety problem. now park in the garage hot and burn your house down......not cool for FORD to recall 2016 and newer but not take care of same issues for older models..... Last Ford I will buy.

My rear turbo has 130k miles and still bone dry. I already replaced the front with an aftermarket Mahle unit from rock auto. It was less than 500 bucks and its been fine over a year now. I am also pushing around 15 psi with my 3 bar tuner.

I have a rear turbo sitting in a box just waiting 😆

make that 6....mine has 100k. oil can catch fire and burn car to ground...I would say that qualifies as a safety problem. now park in the garage hot and burn your house down......not cool for FORD to recall 2016 and newer but not take care of same issues for older models..... Last Ford I will buy.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As far as I know, this issue hasn't resulted in any fires. There have also been reports of gas smells/leaks when parked in a garage, also with no reported fires. Of course, anything is possible, but Ford apparently doesn't consider it a safety issue.

Peter

Peter, Thanks for the response. I just found out about this turbo leaking this morning and haven't followed up with my mechanic anymore as he is doing the oil change and rear brakes today. He did state the turbo intercooler pipe was coming off and he was going to get that put back on, then look to see if the oil leak was external or internal so we could discuses options on how to proceed going forward. In the mean time I've been googling to see if this is a common issues and that's how I found this forum. I guess I'm looking for some clarification from anyone on here regarding the actual issue at hand. Does the turbo it self need to be replaced or is the oil leaking from a line, bad O ring or something? Just trying to get in idea of what I'm dealing with along with wanting to let my mechanic know what I've found. What is the typical life expectancy for the water pump on these? I was aware of the hood bubbling prior to buying, I have a body shop friend that used to complain about the issue a few years ago. My car spent most of its life in TX and has only been in WI for just less than 2 years. I do have 1 small bubble currently. Thanks for the help -Tom
Tom, I have a leaking rear turbo....what did you end up doing? mine is leaking externally and on the intake side as it is pushing oil toward the intake and leaking on top of the front valve cover. thanks in advance
John

There may well be more than 5 owners with this issue but I was referring to this forum. Apparently Ford does not consider it a safety issue if they only issued a TSB and not a Recall. Do you happen to have the TSB or TSB number for this issue with the Explorer? I can add it to the TSB thread.
Thanks.

Peter
Yes, I actually have a NHTSA recall number and manufacturer recall number. NHTSA Recall # is 16V-925. The MFR Recall # is 16S46. It was issued in late 2016 early 2017.

Yes, I actually have a NHTSA recall number and manufacturer recall number. NHTSA Recall # is 16V-925. The MFR Recall # is 16S46. It was issued in late 2016 early 2017.

Attachments

• Ford oil leak safety recall.pdf
    385.1 KB · Views: 163

Well, sadly, I just learned some interesting information from a local Ford dealer. I was told straight out that if in fact oil is finding its way into my system and leaking from the turbocharger, which will in turn damage my catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, my local dealership does not want any part of it because apparently anytime a cat converter is damaged or being serviced for warranty repair, that dealership gets audited even though they are not the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from. Really, Ford!!?? So now I have the 3 closest dealerships to me, not wanting to even look at or repair this thing. Thank you Ford corporate for making it impossible for your customers to get any help or service when it matters the most! UNBELIEVABLE!

Well, sadly, I just learned some interesting information from a local Ford dealer. I was told straight out that if in fact oil is finding its way into my system and leaking from the turbocharger, which will in turn damage my catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, my local dealership does not want any part of it because apparently anytime a cat converter is damaged or being serviced for warranty repair, that dealership gets audited even though they are not the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from. Really, Ford!!?? So now I have the 3 closest dealerships to me, not wanting to even look at or repair this thing. Thank you Ford corporate for making it impossible for your customers to get any help or service when it matters the most! UNBELIEVABLE!
Do you know for a fact that it is actually Ford that does the auditing?

Peter

Do you know for a fact that it is actually Ford that does the auditing?

Peter

I wonder if it's the EPA or whoever is in charge of emissions.

Although, why would a dealer get audited for manufacturer defect? Seems like information is missing.

Or is it Ford is pushing back on the dealer to not inspect because Ford could get dinged/audited...but dealer is twisting words. Just a wild guess.

If the vehicle is under warranty and it's damaging emissions equipment, shouldn't be too difficult to get it repaired. I hate to say the word threaten, but bring it up politely that it's impacting the emissions equipment, which could be a legal issue(?). Again, just a guess.

I wonder if it's the EPA or whoever is in charge of emissions.

Although, why would a dealer get audited for manufacturer defect? Seems like information is missing.

Or is it Ford is pushing back on the dealer to not inspect because Ford could get dinged/audited...but dealer is twisting words. Just a wild guess.

If the vehicle is under warranty and it's damaging emissions equipment, shouldn't be too difficult to get it repaired. I hate to say the word threaten, but bring it up politely that it's impacting the emissions equipment, which could be a legal issue(?). Again, just a guess.
It is an "Internal audit check" performed by the manufacturing company/factory that audits the dealerships/service departments. Basically when a service department exceeds a set dollar amount on warranty claims, the manufacturer audits them and analyzes the dealership's accounting. That way the manufacturer can charge a dealership back if it is found that a dealership is inflating the price on warranty repairs for monetary gain or can fine them for improper accounting methods.

Could someone please post a picture of what this looks like? I think I have the same problem

I have a 2016 3.5 turbo. The leak is only noticeable due to burning smell after long trips (I think it splashes on the transmission). The volume of oil is not enough to leave anything on my driveway (so far) or cause me to have to regularly top up the oil.

Do the 2016's have a recall (I see there is one for the 2017?).

Is there DIY potential here? Maybe just tighten bolts?

PXL_20231215_213247735.jpg

Back