3.73 with 33's, 5 speed, 4.10 worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.73 with 33's, 5 speed, 4.10 worth it?

Chasethexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Ok so I dont have money to regear to 4.88 like I would really like to do, My only option which is fairly cheap, is to buy junkyard axles with 4.10 from an ex, theyre around 125 each, I am seriously thinking of doing this because I want to weld the spider gears anyways so it would be easy to just buy a 4.10 axle and weld it up outside of the truck. I am just wondering for anyone that has gone from 3.73 to 4.10 if it was noticeable , cause with the standard its kind of annoying having to slip the clutch that much more with the 33's. I gues for 300 bucks do you think that much more gear is worth it?

Thanks chase

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would save up until you can do the swap to the 4.88. Usually people suggest a full turn to make it worth the effort and money. I swapped 3.55 for 2.73 in my mustang and was a little disappointed, should have gone for 3.73 or 4.10. Not sure if the change you are talking about will make much of a noticeable difference.

Ok thats what I was wondering, at least i have low range now haha, thanks for the response.

Chase

I've been running 3.73 ls in my navajo with 3 different size tires , first stock mud tires , then 31" mud rovers , Now 33-12.50 with the stock 3.73 , the Speedo is off and there is some lag over stock tires , But I've waited for 8 years to re gear and think i will be going with 4.88 front and rear with 33"to 35" tires

every little bit helps,, i have 4:10 gears on my 96 and run it with 35's, it's a bit luggish, but works , with 33's on the 4:10 it is very good, especially in 4low,,

I've got 31's and 3.73's. I noticed a difference when I changed the tire size. Looking to go with a 33 and I think when I do that I will regear. Gotta do it some time...

I have 4.10s with 33 x 12.50s and it is not nearly as quick as with factory tires so I would say that is the bear minimum for decent performance. In my old sport I had 3.27s with 31s, but then again that truck was a 1000 pounds lighter too.

I still have my factory IFS D35 with 4.10s I would love to sell for $75 since I can't seem to get rid of it.;)

Haha I would love to buy it if you were close lol

Back