3" BL in process!

chilly_moose

Concrete Jungle Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
South Plainfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt and '92
:confused: Well I am in the process of installing my 3" Body Lift. What a pain in the ass.
I figured I would take my time and work on it little by little. Today is day two, and I thought I was doing well untill I had to take off the mounting bolts that are located under the rear seats of my '91 four door.
There is no way that it can be done by just one person. So my question to this forum is this... Is there a trick or way that I can remove these 2 bolts with out trying to tape a wrench around the chassis while holding the nut. Or am I gonna have to get some one else to help me.
Another question is.
What can I spray in the area of these mounting bolts, to prevent body rust.
I see some forming already, but don't want to have to sandblast the whole thing if you know what I mean.
Thanks in advance
and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Peace Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get a coat of underbody spray. It dries to a black rough form that will slow it down.

As for tricking it you will just have to get creative. Not sure never done a body lift

Good Luck

Thanks burns
Nice rig you got there.

Thanks man. Long time working lol

I thought about a bl when i was doing my sas but all those bolts had me thinking i would pass. Plus its bigger than we thought it would be anyways.

Not to get off topic but what you done to yours.

Haven't done much yet.
first thing done was getting it running right.
Now i'm doing the body lift. Setting up for some 33's.
Then roll cage and then paint. After that just little accessoreis, like roof basket, extra lights, rock sliders, etc.
But looking to do it slowely cause the budget is tight. You know what I mean?
Well thanks for your help.
Ed

I'm not familiar with the first gens, but I did the BL on my '98 Mounty myself. The body mount bushings were spinning so I took large channel locks and grip the bushing. I then used a hose clamp to hold the handles of the channel locks together and spun the bushing with my wrench.

The bushing and channel locks spun together, up against the frame and from that point, the harder I turned, the tighter the channel locks gripped.

I was able to get my three troublesome body mount bolts off that way :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, I worked on it last night. My father was holding the nut while I was ratcheting the bolt inside the Ex. Finally the bolt snapped. Luckily it was enough to tap it out. Went to go do the other side, and as Murphies Law would have it. The damn thing is sandwiched inbetween the body and gas tank. What the F@c&....
So Tonight I got to drop the tank and try again. But I figured, while I have the Tank off I'll spray the underbody rust spots with some sort of neutraliser, and paint it black.
Well thanks again for the advice. I'll try it tonight once I'm under there.
Ed

Wow, gas tank is in the way? Second gens don't have that problem. At least mine didn't. That's rough.

Paraphoe
Thanks for the words of encouragement. LOL
Anyways, nice looking truck you got there.
Nice and clean rig, but ready for action.
Gives me alittle incentive to keep going. tastefully Done.
Peace Ed

Paraphoe
Thanks for the words of encouragement. LOL
Anyways, nice looking truck you got there.
Nice and clean rig, but ready for action.
Gives me alittle incentive to keep going. tastefully Done.
Peace Ed

Thanks, gettin' her dirty soon. Sorry if i was discouraging, haha. I just never ran into that problem, and it doesn't seem like fun at all. If you have any questions I might be able to help with, feel free to shoot me a PM.

And get some pics up when it's all done. :D

Guess you don't have an air compressor/air impact do you? i used one when i did mine and had no problems with getting the bolts out.

Have you tried the front 2 mounts yet??

Yeah, Finally got all the bolts out.
Had to drop the tank...It wasn't as bad as i thought. once the tank was out of the way, I got a good look at the ex's underbody, and it don't look that bad. Now that my spirits are back up, I just gotta put the thing back together. But While I was under there I started thinking...To do the Leaf sprigs over the rear. Do I need different shock mounting plates or do I just flip the ones that are there? If any one has done this, I am curious to find out what they did. Well thanks for the help and hopefully I can get some pics up soon.
Ed

Well when you get new spring perches for the rear axles so you can mount the leafs on top of the axle get some from super lift or some place that makes the perch with the shock mount on there.

Took the night off last night.
But will work on it tonight.
Lift blocks are in. Just have to line the body up and bolt everything down.
Then put the tank back up in there, and all the accesories like the steering shaft, emergency brake lines etc. But happy with the results, now I just need some tires. It looks kind of silly with the stock tires on it. But will have pics up by late night tonight.
Thanks Ed

O.K.
Almost done...But I have stumbled upon another curve ball here in this install.
The steering shaft extension that they supplied me is still about a half inch short.
It's a pain in the ass to get everything inserted properly. but even after that, it's still short. My question for you Explorer guru's is this:
Is it possible that i might have pushed the steering shaft on the steering coulmn in alittle. Or the shaft on the steering box for that matter? (Kind of like a turtle retracting it's head alittle.) are those things solid with no play? Or do they have play in them?...
any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
thanks Ed

they have play in them some people dont even use the extension for the 3" bl.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O.K. cool thanks
for your help
Peace Ed

Back