3 Q'S??? Used BFG A/T K/O's w/30-40% remaining | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 Q'S??? Used BFG A/T K/O's w/30-40% remaining

I could really use your help here, and I know I'm at the right place ;)
I found a complete set of used BFG's 265/75/16's for $100 CAD / $79 USD.

1. Should I buy them with this much wear for the money?
2. What is a full tread measurment so I can compare with the used?
3. Can I fit these in the "rear" with my stock saging mono leaf's?

Thanks in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your tire is approximately 31.6" tall. The tread left is very low, 30% left is hardly worth the price. They may fit since they are worn down but it all depends on how much the rear is sagging and how much you need to lift the front in the event it doesn't fit.

Blee1099 said:
Your tire is approximately 31.6" tall. The tread left is very low, 30% left is hardly worth the price. They may fit since they are worn down but it all depends on how much the rear is sagging and how much you need to lift the front in the event it doesn't fit.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

What if their closer to 40% :D Still not worth it? Hard to clear with my stock set-up? The rear is sagging like a typical sport. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Sorry for the 100,000,000,000,000th time question.

J

Brand new BFG ATs in that size run about $120-$140 depending on location. Just spend the extra money and get new ones.

Blee1099 said:
Brand new BFG ATs in that size run about $120-$140 depending on location. Just spend the extra money and get new ones.

Thanks Blee1099!

New actualy run for $225-245 CAD per tire for 255/70/16's.

That's $900+ CAD for me... :eek:

J

I think that only you know your whole situation. If you dont drive much and need tires now, $100 canadian is a pretty good deal for a full set of tires that could still last you a while for road driving. Granted, they are not going to be very good offroad with that little tread.

Bah.. drive across the border, get the tires installed and drive back. :D

Blee1099 said:
Bah.. drive across the border, get the tires installed and drive back. :D

LOL..I'm afraid I would not make it with the tires I curently have on...

Thanks for the input guys!!!

So, is it a 50% chance these tires will not fit with stock suspension, I'm not able to tt at this moment. I'm looking to just slap on the rubber and ride.

That's all for Q's...thanks again!

its hard to say what condition used tires are in these days.

sometime they could have Excessive road force (out of round) and ride very badly even after balancing.

best bet is to get new tires with a warranty (if they are BFG's or not) because it would be less of a hassel for you if you wind up getting a bad tire.

Come on down here, I have some stock 4door springs that already have poly bushings in them. A six-pack of Alaskan Amber Ale, $40US and a couple hours and no more sag. :D

Make that 2 six-packs and Dreamr will help. :cool:

Albino 94LTD said:
Come on down here, I have some stock 4door springs that already have poly bushings in them. A six-pack of Alaskan Amber Ale, $40US and a couple hours and no more sag. :D

Make that 2 six-packs and Dreamr will help. :cool:

Sounds like one heck of a deal, and a good evening to boot. :eek:

Too bad your so far away... I wish, or it would be a done deal. :thumbsup:

J

Ford_Racing_Guy said:
its hard to say what condition used tires are in these days.

sometime they could have Excessive road force (out of round) and ride very badly even after balancing.

best bet is to get new tires with a warranty (if they are BFG's or not) because it would be less of a hassel for you if you wind up getting a bad tire.

Your right, better safe then sorry!

I even...lol...considered buying another firestone wilderness to match the one of my spare and use them...lol. The tread is still new...
Talk about putting my life at risk to save some cash.

Thanks!

J

Those Firestone Wilderness ATs were and still are great tires.

jwrezz said:
Those Firestone Wilderness ATs were and still are great tires.

Are they still available for retail? If not what r they now? :thumbsup: other then bridgestone duellers.

Thanks!

J

Update! Installed...

I checked out the used set of bfg's and the tread was actually really decent. No uneven wear w/50-60% left. $100 later and they were installed to my stock sagging mono leaf suspen. No problems w/31's, slight rub on the front wheel well trim, but am very satisfied!!! These tires ride smooth for what I expected. Bought some shackles, a lill "tt", and I'm all set. Decided to lift it a bit anyways. Larger tires need more lift to look right.

Now for the test...Have a good long weekend for those in Canada! :thumbsup: ;) :D

I bought a set of those tires new a couple of months back from Costco. They were a little over CAN$200 each. I think you got a really good deal!

Al

heyok said:
I bought a set of those tires new a couple of months back from Costco. They were a little over CAN$200 each. I think you got a really good deal!

Al

;) Have a great weekend!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

J

Back