3 row radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3 row radiator

Hello! Ok so I now have a very small radiator leak on the side by the plastic side. I would really love to get a thicker radiator. I would love the brass/copper type like in my camaro but I reallydont think that is an option. So the next best thing i can see are those nice 3 row radiators with i believe are aluminum sides. Plastic siding is not my favorite. Can anyone tell me how well they do fit? I have a separate tranny oil cooler so I dont have to worry about any fittings. Will the cooler be in the way since its in the middle on bottom? Also if anyone can steer me to a site/ listing. There are so many out there Ive been jumping around all over looking but everyone knows what happens...stuck and by that time Im off looking at camaro or fiero fun things. I may just cross my fingers hope for the best and find a random listing or site that has good energy. Thank you in advance if you can help a girl out!

Unsure if your radiator same as original in my 2001 Ford ExST, but very happy with my recent swap,
from original PlasticTanked 1RowCoreRadiator, to a new AllAluminum 4RowCoreRadiator.
Details here Engine Coolant Radiator+Cap
Hope this helps.

PS: Your post above & profile are lacking vehicle+engine specs?

Sorry i left out the important info! 2003 Explore r
4.0. Xlt 2 wheel drive. I am most likely going to purchase the all aluminum rad. Want the extra cooling. Where i do not know yet. Anyone bought one recently?
Unsure if your radiator same as original in my 2001 Ford ExST, but very happy with my recent swap,
from original PlasticTanked 1RowCoreRadiator, to a new AllAluminum 4RowCoreRadiator.
Details here Engine Coolant Radiator+Cap
Hope this helps.

PS: Your post above & profile are lacking vehicle+engine specs?

Post a picture of your engine bay & radiator; will help others answer your questions.
Thanks Dillard000 m going to order it. Then put in an all aluminum radiator. Not too hard of a job never done one on an explorer. I just drained the system recently and replaced the coolant. Dont you hate that. I really dont like to put anything back in that is used. Ill grit my teeth and maybe put it back in. The only thing im wondering about is whether or not the new 3 row will fit correctly because the oil cooler is bolted in front of the radiator. Well ill post my results and whether I had to do any modifications. Then once thats done its on to the dreaded bearings. Front bearings. Well off I go to order my parts. Take care and be safe out there.

The coolers will both be for ATF. One for the trans, one for the power steering. Not all trucks have the trans fluid cooler.

Hello! Ok so I now have a very small radiator leak on the side by the plastic side. I would really love to get a thicker radiator. I would love the brass/copper type like in my camaro but I reallydont think that is an option. So the next best thing i can see are those nice 3 row radiators with i believe are aluminum sides. Plastic siding is not my favorite. Can anyone tell me how well they do fit? I have a separate tranny oil cooler so I dont have to worry about any fittings. Will the cooler be in the way since its in the middle on bottom? Also if anyone can steer me to a site/ listing. There are so many out there Ive been jumping around all over looking but everyone knows what happens...stuck and by that time Im off looking at camaro or fiero fun things. I may just cross my fingers hope for the best and find a random listing or site that has good energy. Thank you in advance if you can help a girl out!
Stay away from those ****y plastic aluminum radiators. Aluminum and plastic both swell and Shrink at different temperatures that's why they will leak guaranteed. Google "3 core aluminum radiator year model car/truck". I have a 91 Ranger XLT 4.0 and immediately put in an aluminum radiator and an electric fan. The only issue I have with this is the manufacturer told me yes it is exact measurements as a stock however the Shroud was 3/4 of an inch off and you can't relocate the water pump so I had to go with electric fan (16", 3000 FPM 80 watts) and I'm having issues with temperature with A/C. You will have no problem finding an aluminum radiator and if or when you do flush your system out and use distilled water when you mix with radiator fluid. It moves quicker to the system and does not leave hard water deposits and calcium in your system your antifreeze will look as good as it did three years later.

Back