302 into 91/92 Explorer???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 into 91/92 Explorer????

hucklburry

Reaction score
I am looking at either an early bronco, full size bronco, or an explorer.

I will be using it for some 4X stuff, towing a boat, and playing around. I like the EB alot, expecially for classic looks and removable top, but the Explorer is more comfortable I am sure, and 4 doors is appealing.

I had a 94 Ranger and know the 4.0 can pull the boat fine, and that the extra 4X stuff will degrade that performance some. (its an 18' bass boat).

So my question is, has anyone here installed a 302 into a 91 or so Explorer? I am not so worried about the electrical, I have done some work in that regards and can figure it out, unless someone can tell me something that I don't know about the Explorer.

I am more concerned about engine mounts, tranny swaps, and the differential. The early bronco has some great axles, I am concerned about the Explorer axles holding up, but I don't think I am going so extreme with all this. Probably end up with 33s and rear discs, for what its worth. Do NP435s and Dana 20 xfer cases mount up easily? How about a 302/C-4?

I already have a 92 mustang engine with mass air, complete and running (rusting out mustang that I have (OHIO sucks,they use salt)) and I am itching to install it in an early bronco or explorer.

So, has anybody done this? Any web pages? Thanks for any help...

--Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try Advance (Advanced?) Adapters. I think they sell kits to install V-8's into Explorers and Rangers. Search through older threads, I know there have been a lot of questions about engine swaps. Hope this helps.
P.S. I think they might have a link to Advanced Adapters on the links page.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

Check out www.advanceadapters.com and www.jamesduff.com they both offer kits for the 302 swap. I am currently in the process of getting the parts and the manuals to do mine. I plan on putting a 302 stroker in it which will boost the cubes to 355. Should be a screamer. Have fun!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT
Many Mod's
To see some pics and to get a full list
of mods I have made to my explorer check out:
http://members.efortress.com/swankmi/

That's great to know, i'm most likely going to put in a 302 or a 289, when my engine eventually dies, only 187,000 miles on it.

Jim, welcome. I have a bunch of sites I have collected. I will email them to you.

------------------
Brian Tomarchio
1993 XLT 4x4

"Do you know what four dollars will get you today? It won't get you three dollars."

D F Willy, from what I have read, yes it will fit without lifting.

------------------
Brian Tomarchio
1993 XLT 4x4

"Do you know what four dollars will get you today? It won't get you three dollars."

D F Willy, I just emailed you the info that I sent to Jim yesterday.

------------------
Brian Tomarchio
1993 XLT 4x4

Back