• Register Today It's free!

31 inch tires

Trafferty13

Reaction score
City, State
Wantagh ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
I want better clearance and performance in the sand and I want to put 31 inch tires on my stock 1993 explorer xlt. Does anyone know how they will fit and if they will not what is the easiest way to get them the room?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31's fit stock no problem, but can rub at full lock if your springs are sagging bad. Choose a wheel with less backspace and you won't have an issue. They work on stock rims too though.

Thanks. I am looking at the size 31 10.50 on the stock 15 inch rim.
What do you mean rubbing at full lock, the coil springs or the leaf Springs?
And should I maybe consider coil spacers and longer shackles or something easy preferably.

31's fit stock no problem, but can rub at full lock if your springs are sagging bad. Choose a wheel with less backspace and you won't have an issue. They work on stock rims too though.
Thanks for the info on the 31 inch tires, have you done any lifts for an extra inch or two of clearance for the tires at full lock?

Check what gear ratio you have, it may not be suitable for 31s. Too tall of a gear will kill your auto trans, if that's what you have.

Check what gear ratio you have, it may not be suitable for 31s. Too tall of a gear will kill your auto trans, if that's what you have.
I have a manual 5 speed transmission, I hope that's better for the situation.

Yes the manual is tough. You should be ok for gearing, stock tires are 29". Even with 3.27 gear it should be livable. If you have 3.73 or 4.10 you will love 31's.

Yes the manual is tough. You should be ok for gearing, stock tires are 29". Even with 3.27 gear it should be livable. If you have 3.73 or 4.10 you will love 31's.
Cool, do you know how I check what gears I have?

Your drivers side door has an "axle code". There is a list of what they mean somewhere on here. An example is D4, which means a 3.73 gear limited slip rear diff.

Another option is on the rear diff cover should be a tag. The same axle I listed above would read "3L73" top left.

Finally if all else fails you can pull the diff cover, and its stamped on the side of the ring gear.

Your drivers side door has an "axle code". There is a list of what they mean somewhere on here. An example is D4, which means a 3.73 gear limited slip rear diff.

Another option is on the rear diff cover should be a tag. The same axle I listed above would read "3L73" top left.

Finally if all else fails you can pull the diff cover, and its stamped on the side of the ring gear.

Thanks.Also have you ever done a simple lift to get a little space for 31 inch tires to turn full lock with no major rubbing while driving in sand

Here is a list of axle codes.

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

You may or may not rub with 31's, you just have to try to find out. Its been many years since I had 31's on stock, and if I remember right, aftermarket rims with less backspace was all that was needed to keep from rubbing. Even on stock rims, it didn't cause any problems, just a little annoying.

Here is a list of axle codes.

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

You may or may not rub with 31's, you just have to try to find out. Its been many years since I had 31's on stock, and if I remember right, aftermarket rims with less backspace was all that was needed to keep from rubbing. Even on stock rims, it didn't cause any problems, just a little annoying.
Thanks I appreciate it

I remember one guy here never had any problem with 31" tires on stock rims, you should be good to go. Look for rim if you felt any rub.

Back