31" tires on 15's wont fit 2003 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31" tires on 15's wont fit 2003 explorer

Corys35

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
31" tires on 15's will now fit 2003 explorer (updated with pics)

So i came across a killer deal some super swampers radials brand new mounted on some black cragars. problem is they are hitting the calipers, i know i can put some spacers on but all the hub centric ones were like 1.5" thats way too much i prob only need 1/2" to be safe. has anyone put 15" rims on explorer 02-05?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're right on the money with needing spacers to fit 15's. They didn't use the 15" rims on the 3rd gen's, 2nd gen's used 15's (and some models 16's), and then the 3rd gen's came with factory 16's (and 17's for some limited and EB models)...so the 16's just barely clear the caliper assembly, as Ford intended.

There isnt anyone else who has ran into this problem or could give me some advice

A LONG while back someone posted about trying to put 15's on with no luck. Said the rears fit but the front hit the calipers like yours did. If I remember and I don't really recommend it, I think he may have ground the calipers down enough to fit the 15's.

A LONG while back someone posted about trying to put 15's on with no luck. Said the rears fit but the front hit the calipers like yours did. If I remember and I don't really recommend it, I think he may have ground the calipers down enough to fit the 15's.

Some years back, a friend of mine ground down the front calipers on a Lincoln Towncar to fit some 13" dayton wire wheels...because of that same issue. The calipers ended up breaking not even a month later. Not a pretty sight...

Ya i got some 5/16 spacers from the auto store and had to grind on the spindle not the caliper. The backs were fine with the spacers but the fronts needed just a lil bit of work. The dust covers were in the way too. But i think it looks good shouldnt have any issues. Check it out.
IMG00017-20100114-2049.jpg

IMG00018-20100116-1358.jpg

IMG00019-20100116-1358.jpg

First 3rd gen I've seen with 15's, nice job on that and good tips for the OP. Stay away from grinding the caliper for sure :thumbsup:

I'd finish that X above with some black lug nuts, would set it off. I'm using a set of black locking lugs on mine from Gorilla and it looks great against the polished wheels. The stock lugs are ugly :D

Thanks the process was very easy and didnt take much time at all, ya i am going to ditch the factory lugs for some black ones i just didnt want to buy some over priced ones at the auto store. Anybody need details on this feel free to ask ill help best i can

what's all that white stuff behind your sweet ride?

Back