31 tt no shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31 tt no shackles?

I have read the sticky on tires and one question I have that may be answered before I test fit a bunch of tires.
I have a 96 limited fully loaded awd. I want to put 31X10.5 on, using the stock rims. The list says 31's on 15x8 rims Will it change much with 15x7 rims? What I dont know is if the tire is going to be taller because I only have a 15x7 rim.
Also will 31 fit in the back with out shackles? It looks like it will, but just to know its been done before will really put my mind to rest.

Thanx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

857036_5_full.jpg

This is 31X10.5 with stock rims and stock hight, fits fine and fills the wells pretty good too

The rear should fit no problem. My neighbor has a late-90's Explorer with 31x10.50's on the stock wheels. I don't know if they rub up front but he's had them for a while so I guess they're okay. Ranger FX4 Level II's come stock with 31x10.50's on 15x7 wheels.

I have 31's and no shackles, they only rub when I weigh down the back cargo area with a bunch of stuff, and only when I go over a large bump and the suspension flexes, otherwise they are fine in the back. Up front is a different story :) Even with a TT I had to trim a little.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. as long as I dont have to trim any of the fender im good, just the inner. Tires are comming in about a week I cant wait.

Post a pic for us here when you get them. I would like to see them.

I'm a bit reluctant to try the 31x10.5's on my '94, as I do go in the bush a fair bit, fishing and the like, through washouts and full suspension travel. The suspension is original and height may not be what it should. For that reason I'm thinking of the 30x9.5's. Haven't been able to find a First Generation Ex in town with 31's that is totally stock to see first hand what the clearances are like.

Pgdsm,
I gotta know. Were you able to fit the 31x10.5x15 all terrain tires on you stock front without trimming the running boards? If so what tires did you go with? I'd like to go with these tires but I only plan on AAL's for suspension mods to bring up the sagging tail end. I'd like to get the clearance uder the axle but I really don't want to cut the running boards on my loaded '95 Ex.

Back