311,000 miles. hole in muffler. time for some work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

311,000 miles. hole in muffler. time for some work

Travis91

Reaction score
City, State
Hartford, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 2wd explorer XL
well like the title states my ex has 311,000 on it. it gets 24 miles to the gallon but its developed a hole in the muffler and i would like to redo it. but im broke. whats the cheapest/best way to redo the muffler and possibly the cats because i know they have never been replaced. the explorer was first owned by my grandpa and i knew all about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn I was in the same boat last week....292,000 and finally had to replace some power window bushings...

Shoulda bought a toyota huh? :p:

If you want to go really cheap, auto parts stores sell "exhaust tape" for patching holes in exhaust systems. I've used it for temporary fixes before. It would probably work for a while.

I've done it two methods. Exhaust wrap and exhaust epoxy. The wrap works better.

I only do it right before I have to go get my truck inspected. While the truck runs well (though I wish I was getting 24MPG, only 18 mixed highway/city), it just isn't worth it to me to fix the muffler.

You can replace the muffler with a $20-30 universal one from a parts store using the instructions in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182514

Be sure to get a muffler with a 2" in/out and you won't need adapters.

You'll also need a hanger to support the rear of the muffler, so you can either get an exhaust shop to weld one on there for a few bucks, or just bring them a 2" clamp, and they will weld the hanger onto the clamp, making the hanger removable.

I'd suggest the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, though they are slightly more expensive at $40 or so. The lifetime warranty for free replacement makes them worth it when they rust out every few years.

You can get a Thrush Turbo muffler for $20-30. If you don't mind the noise, or actually want noise, you can get Cherry Bomb style mufflers for $15-20 some places.

An even better option is the full Dynomax Cat-back system, but if you're just looking to go cheap, just clamping a new muffler on there is hard to beat.

You don't need to replace the cats unless they were damaged from a rich/lean fuel condition. It's $200 for a replacement, anyway, or have an exhaust shop put a single 3-way on for almost the same amount of dough.

which would sound best. and screw the exaust shop ill put it on there. i can weld. lol

i want loud but i heard that the glasspacks sound like crap on the 4.0s

I like my flowmaster 40 series..

We have a high flow cat and the 40 series.. sounds good.. it does drone a little around 2900 rpms.. but I'm not there often..

~Mark

id like to do this whole thing for under 50 bucks lol

If you can weld, you're in business. Pick a muffler and weld it to the extender pipe in the rear, then just clamp the front of the muffler and back pipe, then weld on the hanger to finish.

The Dynomax Super Turbo is slightly louder than stock, but flows great. Worth the $$$, I say. I see them on the shelf at Advance for $30-40.

The Thrush Turbo is similar to the Dynomax Super Turbo, but no lifetime warranty, doesn't flow as well, but is louder. Tough to beat for the price. Advance usually has these on the shelf for $20-30.

Glasspacks tend to sound crappy on anything other than a V8, but the right glasspack can sound ok on a modified 4.0. The cherry bombs and others with louvers inside restrict flow and sound kind of ratty. Thrush glasspacks have a straight-through design without louvers, that flows really well.

You can look to see if any parts stores or exhaust shops have a Flowmaster 40 series or something for under $50, if you like Flowmasters. You could also just call around to see who's got what, if anyone has a muffler for a deal. Offset in/Center out oval ones fit the easiest, but if you find a glasspack or other style, you can probably make it work.

i live in south alabama so no salt roads. the warrenty isnt a big concern. and i tend to deal with one parts house.

I helped my friend get his car ('91 Maxima) to pass inspection where the muffler was rotten in several places. He's broke, so I just bought AutoZone's cheapest universal muffler (a Cherry Bomb Turbo model for $15!) with some pipe pieces and clips. Then I sawzall'd the old one off, fit the new stuff on and used a strapping kit to keep it up. Worked surprisingly well and passed inspection. All together ~$25

I was wary of how loud it would sound at idle because of the glasspacks from Cherry Bomb I've heard but it's surprisingly quiet; the "Turbo" line closer to a conventional muffler. I also thought it'd sound like an animal being killed when revved, but that also was surprisingly good. Actually sounds pretty mean!

Here's the muffler I used. The main differences between it and the more expensive models are length and offset of the effluent pipe.

These and most other cheap mufflers are aluminized steel though, so they're going to rust (maybe throw a coat of Rusteoleum high-temp on to stave it off longer). I would clamp both connections at the muffler so that if yours rusts out a couple years from now, you can throw another $15 bucks at it and have it in place in a couple minutes.

i want loud but i heard that the glasspacks sound like crap on the 4.0s

I disagree. did an 18"long 2.5" glasspax on a friends '91 and it came out sounding pretty cool i thought (left all the rest of the exhaust system stock, tail pipe, resonator, cats etc)

When my muffler fell off it cost only 15$ to weld it back on. Save up 15$ and just get it welded.

When my muffler fell off it cost only 15$ to weld it back on. Save up 15$ and just get it welded.

He said his has holes in it.

You may be able to patch it but some states will fail you in an inspection with any such repairs that aren't really small (quick spot weld), I know PA does.

this is south alabama. we dont have inspections. if it rolls its legal lol.

this is south alabama. we dont have inspections. if it rolls its legal lol.

Same here in Arkansas, they got rid of the inspection the year I moved down here! WOOT!

You can probably weld up the hole, but putting on a better flowing muffler improves performance and mileage. Spending $15-25 on a new muffler is well worth it since you'll save more than that even with just a 1 mpg increase when crusing. It's also more fun to drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can probably weld up the hole, but putting on a better flowing muffler improves performance and mileage. Spending $15-25 on a new muffler is well worth it since you'll save more than that even with just a 1 mpg increase when crusing. It's also more fun to drive.

but with the nice sound ill be lead footing it so ill prolly lose 5 mpg lol

Back