Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvosh

Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
So on my roughly 1500 KM trip this weekend my muffler kinda let its self go. I was wondering how long it would last considering the vehicle sat for a year before I got it.

My question is this; What type of muffler should I go with? I am kinda of leaning towards the quieter side of mufflers, but I also want something free flowing as I think once it got some holes it my MPG's increased. It looks like the rest of the exhaust is fine so I am just needing to replace the muffler.

This is for a stock 2-door '93 Explorer 4x4, 5 speed. Thanks for any and all advice!

Magnaflow are freeflowing and reasonably priced. Check out some youtube clips for a rough guide. I have the 11226 which is not quiet and does drone a bit under load, but check out their range. Theres plenty on ebay.

Don't get any of those "turbo-mufflers"... they are basically just like regular mufflers, only noisier.... I could go into specifics on this, but I won't.

You can pick up an aftermarket muffler like a magnaflow, and, magnaflow would be one of your quietest options while still being free-flowing, but don't expect too much change on a stock exhaust system. A quality oem style replacement will work well too. Many of the cheaper replacement mufflers aren't well made and well..... flow dynamics suffer, but with a quality replacement style, they will flow about as well as the rest of the pipe under your truck.

Well I took and got my exhaust done (CAT back) by a shop as it was just easier. $308 later and I can hear myself think again. Have 2 1/2" pipe from the converter's to the end of the pipe. My invoice says I have a Magnaflow SS muffler so don't know how good it is. He showed me the old muffler and pipe and you could almost pull the one end off the muffler and the tailpipe was getting little holes in it as well.

We'll see how my fuel economy likes the new muffler. The funny thing is the exhaust was replaced before I got it. I guess that is what can happen when a vehicle sits for over a year before you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back