31x12.50's on a 98 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

31x12.50's on a 98 sport

I asked this a while back, before I actually got my X, but i think it was in the wrong forum.

Well its all apart now and I need to get some wheels and tires for it. The wheels im looking at are AR Diamond Back's in a 15x8, 3.75 backspacing. The tires I want are 31x12.50 SSR's. Im going to do the 2in TT and the warrior shackles for lift. If I have to i'll get a 2in. body lift, but i'd rather not for now.

So with the combo of a taller than normal 31, light backspacing, and a 12.50 how bad do you guys think the rubbing will be? Will it just rub when making sharp turns or will flat out not fit?

My X will be used for light off roading but nothing that will really challenge the articulation, mainly just snowy roads and trails. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll probably experience a fair amount of rubbing and you'll mmost likely have to trim some of your fenders. You'll also have to run atleast a 10" rim. 31x12.5s will not fit on an 8" rim.

I am not sure on the rubbing, but I am sure those rims are fine. I have the same exact rims, and I ran 31x12.50 then 33x12.50. I got 40,000 out of my 31x12.50, just bought my 33's and they are holding up. I use it as a DD and for some rough wheelin, and the treads wore nice.

well, it will fit on the rim physically, but will look dorky.....a better suited size is a 31x10.5, 32x11.5, or a 33x12.5

A 12.50 wide tire should fit an 8" wide wheel just fine... Most of the guys I know and wheel with here run them that way... They're running 33" tires though...

a 12.5 will fit fine.... however ------ it being only a 31" tall tire will put more of an angle type strain on the sidewall and make it do \ |rim| / more than a 33" tall tire

I personally would'nt run a 31x12.5 on a 8" rim. I think you're sidewall angle is going to start getting really steep @ that point.

Originally posted by Doug
I personally would'nt run a 31x12.5 on a 8" rim. I think you're sidewall angle is going to start getting really steep @ that point.
i agree... i am saying it is possible... but it isnt the best.... the only reason i add its possible, is that even sometimes when people ask an opinion question, they already have their mind made up and dont really care about others opinions to begin with.... (trust me, i do this sometimes)

thanks for the help guys. I talked to Interco today and they said the 31 inch SSR is actually about 31.5 (which I already knew) and the 29 are actually about 29.6.

I think im gonna go with some 30x11.50's tsl/sx's. That way I can avoid the body lift issue hopfully. As far as the wheels go, a 15x10 isn't an option for a few reasons. Money, clearance, and wheel choices. I guess the 11.50's will help that too.

Originally posted by Tat2dExploder
I am not sure on the rubbing, but I am sure those rims are fine. I have the same exact rims, and I ran 31x12.50 then 33x12.50. I got 40,000 out of my 31x12.50, just bought my 33's and they are holding up. I use it as a DD and for some rough wheelin, and the treads wore nice.

hey tat, do you have the chrome diamond back's or the two tone one's? I really like the look of the grey/metallic diamond back's. Also, what tires were you running when you had the 31x12.50's?

Back