33"s or 35"s with stock 4.10 LS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33"s or 35"s with stock 4.10 LS

I just completed my lift less than a month ago and I am in a debate with myself on which tire size to go with. I have a 5" suspension and 2" body lift. I know if I go with 35's I am gonna have alot of trimming to do since I want to keep the pretty eddie bauer running boards. I am considering the Dick Cepek FC II's. I talked with a local offraod shop and the owner has these on his truck and he absolutely loves them. I have the stock gears and differentials. It has the 4.10 limited slip in the rear. I drive about 70 miles total a day between work and school 50/50 highway/city. I have not programmed the computer with the 32" tire size, it still thinks I am running stock. With that in mind, right now I have 32's and I am getting 16.4mpg in the city and 18.2 on the highway. My questions are, (1) Approximately how much will my gas mileage drop if I upgrade to 33"s with stock gears? 35"s with stock gears? (2) Are the stock gears and differentials strong enough to handle 35's? (3) currently around 70mph my tach is reading 2,550-2,600rpm, aproximately what will it read around 70 with 33's? 35's?

I have searched quite a bit on these topics but it seems that nobody has 35's with stock 4.10's. I may be wrong!

Pics with 35" tires are always welcome!

Anthony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

adarkang said:
I have searched quite a bit on these topics but it seems that nobody has 35's with stock 4.10's. I may be wrong!

That's because it isn't recommended. For gas mileage, 4:10s are good for 33s and 4:56 is good for 35s. I went with 4.56 with my 33s cause I wanted more low end grunt. Anyhow - the rear axle is fine with 35s but the front may cause problems. If the axle itself holds up- your next issue will be ball joints, bearings, and things like that- that will prematurely fail. I would stick with 33s and with 4.10s.

-Drew

EDIT: gas mileage is going to be different from person to person - driving habits, maitnance, type of fluids, weather conditions, etc etc all play a factor. I get about 14 mpg with 33s and 4.56 Gear ratio

I am leaning more towards 33's but someone I know wants to sell me some used 35's BFG A/T that have about 50% tread life left. But I am debating whether all that fender trimming is worth it.

Another thing is, won't the fender's look stuffed with 35's? versus 33's?

I have 9''s of lift and 35's. I rub still after some decent trimming but I am on 15x10's with like 3.5''s of backspacing. So 33's might be for you. With the 5.0 I was running 4:56's and 35's. It had ALOT of power but hwy driving liked to consume a bit of gas to me. I now have 4:10's and 35's which nets me to about 15mpg after tire calulation. My message center averages 12.5 and my tire dia is about 20% off.

BoominXplorer,

How come you went from 4.56's to 4.10's?

I am 2wd about to swap to 4wd and 4:56's for the front are on a forever backorder. I got a good deal on a set of front and rear 4:10s so I went for them.

I see. If you say you have 9" of lift and still have rubbing issues, I think I am definately going with 33's. Especially since I have the running boards. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Boomin, when u planning on doing the 2wd to 4x4 swap?

Back