33's + 3.73's+5.5 Superlift=trouble? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33's + 3.73's+5.5 Superlift=trouble?

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
I've done all the thread searching and it seems the general consensus is that gearing in the 4+ range is needed to run 33's on my '92. It's my understanding that I won't have any power for long upgrades on the freeway and similar situations with 3.73's. But how will a truck with 33's and 3.73 gearing offroad? Will there be any torque? I really don't want to get into the extra expense of changing gears if I don't have to 'cause this isn't a long term project.
I've got a plan... I don't like driving long distances on my offroad tires, the noise and vibration drive me nuts, and I do plenty of daily driving that I don't need the offroad capabilities anyway. The nearest wheeling is three hours away. My thought is drive around with my 31's or even my stock tires. When I go wheeling I can load my 33's onto the trailer with the motorcycle and all the other gear and drive to the mountains. I can put the 33's on when I get there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it's all up to you but it you plan on towing anything with a 5.5" lift and 3.73's up a hill, don't plan on going over 50 mph. When I first got my lift I was running 31's and I would bog when trying to pass or going up hills. I did help getting a running start when going up hill. I know this doesn't answer your question but hopfully it will help. If I was you I would do the lift first and see how you like it. You can always do the gears later. That's what I did. Good luck.

Not quite sure of your plan of action. Are you going to install the 5.5" Superlift but then run around town with 31's or stock tires? Going to look kind of funny with the big lift and small tires. I can appreciate not wanting to get into an expensive, long term project, but the price of the lift and new tires and wheels isn't exactly chump change.

Sounds like a lot work, hauling a set of 33's on a trailer, then putting them on, then taking them off ....... What if it's raining or snowing, or colder than @#$%? Or the 33's and the rig are caked with mud? You're more energetic than I am. Plus, in my opinion, that I'm sure is shared by many others, it's just plain cool to always be cruising around in a lifted Ex with big tires.

On the flipside, why not just go wheeling with the 31's? I've done it quite a bit before I had my 33's, and had a lot of fun.

I'd suggest either keeping it the way it is, or installing 33's and changing gears.

if you do the 5.5 and leave stock tires you will look like this (i hope you dont mind perry)
stripes_pass_side.jpg

you chould either go 5.5 and 33's or do a smaller lift and some 31's

haha.:bounce: ..sorry to laugh...but that looks like a photoshopped truck.

No it's not shopped it is a true photo

I know....but it looks too ackward to be true.

I have run several setups.
Stock
Stock with 255/70/15
3" body lift with 32x11.5 & 3.73's
5.5" susp + 3" body with 32x11.5's and 3.73s
5.5" susp + 3" body with 35x12.5's and 3.73s
5.5" susp + 3" body with 35x12.5's and 4.56s
For pics you can see my webpage. It really didn't look that bad with the 32's. With 32's and 3.73 it was fine until I added the suspension lift, then it was a PITA to drive highway, as well as pulling my boat sucked the big one in town driving and HWY not pulling was totally bearable. The 35's and 3.73 a beotch on any Hwy, stall converter all the way. I think 32's on a 5.5 lift would look great, wheel great and never rub and with 3.73 have plenty of power in 4lo as well as get decent mileage on the city or HWY with additions like a KKM

Originally posted by SSIKORA
haha.:bounce: ..sorry to laugh...but that looks like a photoshopped truck.

You laughing at my truck???????????
I was at the time. We ran it that way for a couple weeks so the coils would break in. That way I didn't wear the new tires out.

Living in the mountains with the 33"s and 3.73 gears you don't go fast at all. Around town it wasn't bad, but highway sucked. Even with the 4.56 gears you can't do 80 going up the mountains. It's more like 50-55 without really pushing it.

Would a supercharger make all the difference with the big meats and proper gears?

Tekeman -

Not sure what you're after with "make all the difference", but a blower will increase horsepower and torque, obviously. It all depends on where you want that power to be available at (rpm). The main drawback is $$$$$$ - blowers arn't cheap. The Mustang guys at www.corral.net can be a great help, so if you're serious, check them out. My personal choice for a 5.0 blower would be the ATI ProCharger w/intercooler. Great setup, gobs of usable street power, but will set you back about $3500.

It really all depends on what you want. A blower is the best bolt on bang for the buck going, I think, but with a lifted Explorer with big tires, you're not going to be racing around the streets, are you? If it was me I'd just change gears, then see what else you want to do.

Back