Sinjin

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Avondale(Phoenix), Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
"RETIRED" 1997 Sport
Well got my truck back today with my new BFG's 33's! I had to do a LITTLE trimming but not much at all, took about 5 minutes to do. With the 3" body lift we had no problem getting those bad boys on. I still have the 3.73 gears, and havent really noticed any loss in power, but lots of looks and questions at the gas station. If anyone is interested ill post pics up by tomorrow. Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone else. Thanks again to Rob and Gerald for helping with the lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoooo Hoooooo!

Nothing better than people asking about your truck. Congrats on getting the big tires put on. Another Big Dog on the way.

Watch out Colorado...The Bubba's from Texas are coming!

As you can tell, I'm real happy they fit. I always tell people that if you feed an Explorer right it will grow up.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

cool.

Hey cool....I'm about to do the same exact thing, except I have a '96. What is the width on the 33's? Which body lift did you go with? Any problems with it? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks. Can't wait to see the photos!

The size tires are 285x75 16.
I went with the Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift from Offroad Warehouse, 858-565-792, ask for Mark.
So far no problems, and it turned out exactly the way I had hoped, and have NO problem with rubbing, plenty of room after the trimming. Photos will be up by this afternoon. :)

Ya. Looks good. Did you have any problems with the bumper brackets, shift linkage, steering, or radiator/fan shroud? I'm trying to figure out how many hours it would take a shop to install this lift. They said count on a whole day, I'm hoping more like 4 hours.....

sundown.....
My biggest recommendation for this lift is Dont Rush It, i know if you are taking it to a shop, they are probably charging you by the hour, so I can understand where you are coming from. But take your time.
I didnt have much experience with this sort of stuff, but after seeing it done, its not really that hard. You might think about what I did, put a post up asking for help from someone in your area.
We didnt really run into any problems with the fan shroud, I have a auto so no problem with shift linkage, steering extension just had to be dremmeled a bit to fit. The hard part was the bumpers, basically you just have to work with it to make it work for you. Access to a welder to bend and cut the peices would be very helpful.

Out in the sticks.....

Not many modified Explorers up here in my corner of Northern New England, I'm afraid. Everyone up here is into Grand Cherokee's, Subaru's and Saabs

Thanks for the info.

JJ

Central Vermont

Central Vermont....9 months of winter and 3 months of damn poor sledding....

Hey man, nice looking truck, Where did u get the safari rack from? also anyone on the east coast want to help me install a 3 inch body on a 92??

Excellent Rod!

Truck looks great! Bumpers look perfect. How did you do the running boards?
Rick

Running Boards

They were easy. They actually mount to the rocker panels on the body, they lifted with the truck.

I should mention that there were a few times when we told Rod that it's better he not watch what we were doing to his truck.

All in all it turned out real good, considering we're a bunch of Bubba's ( some of whom can't be trusted with Herculiner )

and some who can't spell "Salad" (see signature below)Gerald

(Now Gerald you know its not nice to point out others mistakes. :))

[Edited by rpenner54 on 08-23-2000 at 01:57 PM]

JayR,
I got my safari rack from PerformanceProducts.com, its made by Surco, the main reason i went with Surco was because it had a 5" height on it, instead of others that have 3" and 4".
Rick,
Thanks. Rob(GoFast) was super patient, and I dont think he would of let me leave Dallas with them any other way. I think he was more concerned about the how the bumpers looked then i was, which i am greatful for. I just scanned in the pics from the install and will be putting them up tonight.
Rob, i havent forgotten, I'll email the pics of your truck in jpeg form tonight as well.

Rod, are you running those 33'son stock rims? are they 7/1/2 inch rims?and are the tires 12.5 or 10.5. jason

AWESOME!!

Rod,

Your Explorer looks great! I'm glad you got such good help as I don't think I could have done such a good job. I'd be really interested in seeing your truck sometime. Now all you need is some lower gears, lockers....and a state with public land to off-road on. Oh well, Texas can't be great at everything. Thanks for the picts and descriptions.

Good job and good luck in Colorado.

Drew

Drew...

Thanks, well I do have a 4.10 gears and Limited Slip, but i do plan on getting a locker soon. And from the looks of it, seems like there is a new offroad place near Dallas. Thanks for the compliment and if you ever want to get together let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back