• Register Today It's free!

$35 GRAND for a V6 ???

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
My local ford dealer has a new 2002 Explorer on the floor for $35,000!!! I kept staring at the sicker to see if it had anything special. V6 auto 4x4, leather, 3rd seat. BIG DEAL! For that kink of coin you could get into an Expedition! Ford should just set up shuttle bus service to the nearest Toyota dealers, that is where they are sending customers anyway.

Yea, yea, 3.9%, new body style, longer wheelbase, independent susp; whup-de-do.

I don't think they are flying off the lot, either. Even tho it is a busy Saturday, and I announced loudly I was just looking for the parts dept, I had 3 salesmen all over me. I think they locked the outside parts dept door in an effort to force as many people as possible thru the showroom.

Said it before and I'll say it again, WHAT THE H*LL IS FORD THINKING?!?!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

john, ford is doing what will make them money. Most people want a car like truck....35 k is cheap if you think about what the explorer is competing with. mecedes ml series, bmw x5, lexus

Very few people looking at Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW would ever be caught dead on a Ford lot.

Yes, look at what ford is competing with: GM, Diamler/Chrysler, Mitusbichi, Toyota (4Runner and Highlander are awesome and more relialble for same $$)

AND Ford has to compete with the news constantly showing rolled X's...

they also need to jack up the price because they recalled all firestnes

Originally posted by jimabena74
john, ford is doing what will make them money. Most people want a car like truck....35 k is cheap if you think about what the explorer is competing with. mecedes ml series, bmw x5, lexus

Since when is the Explorer a luxury SUV? <~~ :nono: The Explorer competes with the Blazer (sadly), Passport/Rodeo (again, sadly), Mountaineer, 4Runner, and Durango.

Could it be nothing more than 'price point" marketing?

If the price was lower or dropped everyone would think there was something wrong with the vehicle or it was inferior. Besides, then you couldn't compare notes on how much money you spent on you car.
I've been told that's how it works, but I still don't understand why it works so well.
Go figure? Maybe its different in a rational society.

35k? my mom is wanting a 02 explorer and went and built one on the internet. 4.6l v8 4x4 leather xlt for 32k msrp

Originally posted by jimabena74
john, ford is doing what will make them money. Most people want a car like truck....

then why does it seem that most people prefer the 95-01 explorers. most people i talked to said they really didn't like the interior, they were not impressed with the handling, and did not like the ride at highway speeds. the supposedly more powerful explorer doesn't give any indications of such. i think ford killed the explorer, and it will slowly fade from #1 selling SUV to " hey do you guys remember explorers?" (kinda like"remember the edsel?")

I agree...I have a 2000 Mountaineer and I love the looks. When I heard the dealer got in a 2002, I rushed down thinking about trading mine in....then I saw the 35K+ price tag (and it didn't include sunroof, cd changer, etc), not to mention it looks like the design team was hungover that day they came up with the front-end drawings for the Mountaineer.

I'm just glad I have mine and I'm not trading it in unless it's for a 2003 Expedition.

-AC

ya know its not competing with the mounty, isnt that owned by ford? anyways i think its a high dealership, i've never heard of an V-6!?! costing 35k. expeditions fully loaded with like EB edition go for 42K and excursions can be bought in the upper 30's. maybe a high dealer or you need to get some glasses on. not a rip but i just dont think it seems right and something must be wrong

I test drove a 4x4 2002 Explorer and it was going for about 26K. Seemed pretty decked out to me.

Second dealer today

still running to the parts dept. This place the servce/parts dept is a separate building, but they park all new Explorers right in front of the door. Same mentality.

This dealer had 2-3k discounts listed right on the windshield. For cloth , auto, V6 they wanted Hi 20's. EB leather V8's were hi 30's.

I think the V6 I saw Saturday had to have been an EB with a killer sound system, they seem to be the only ones with leather. Now that I've seen it in the light of day, I hate it. It is a minivan.

With so much else out there, there seems to be no contest. But I'm sure they will sell a million of these MINIVANS.

Hey Sea, welcome to the site. Sea is one of my buddies guys, give him a warm welcome huh?

If you ask me the Explorer definately does compete with the Luxury SUVs. The Limited with its $40,000 price tag puts it squarely in that market. Its one of those vehicles that spans the spectrum of price classes.

There is often a huge price difference between the different specs. A 4x4 2002 Explorer XL starts at MSRP $ 26'000 which I think is a excellent value. Just, Ford and the dealers make more money on the high specs. What a lot of dealers do (encouraged by Ford) is just having XLT (starting at MSRP 31 or 32 k$ I think) and EB on the lot and special-order the XL, a trick that apparently works very well. Many people with an XL in their mind fell in love with the XLT on the lot, or they don't want to wait the extra four to eight weeks it takes to special order the XL they haven't even be able to see yet, and decide to go with a higher spec than what they actually wanted.

As for the V6; I think in most countries outside the USA a 4 liter V6 is considered as a very large and powerful engine, perfectly suitable for a luxury vehicle.

Yeah, where i come from , anything above 2.0L is pretty scarce because road tax is charged according to engine capacity. I was paying about $1200/yr for a 1.3L Suzuki Swift GTi. Wonder how much those fellas with Ferrari V12s are forking out....hehe.

Road tax based on engine size? Jees!

Back