• Register Today It's free!

3inch body lift

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I’ve decided to put a 3inch body lift on my( 99 explorer 5.0 5speed 4x4) does anyone have a good write up on it and what I should look out for while doing it.thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shadow raven has one and mud marine has one on his site. watch the AC and radiator, i hear.

Need extended brake lines and steering shaft extension with the 3 inch.

some company fire something made the steering shaft. i wouldnt use the extension imo i forgot it was fire smth and brakelines deerfield orecision makes

I installed the performance accessories pa835 ranger 3" body lift on my explorer about 6 months ago. It comes with the steering extension in the kit. I didn't need extended brake lines for mine.

My explorer is also a 5.0, and there's a key detail that is difficult to find info on specifically for body lifting a 5.0. The radiator has a LOT less room so installing the radiator drop brackets are a huge pain. Be ready for that. There is a little plastic piece on the driver's side of the radiator that has seemingly no function. It doesn't support anything or have any interaction with anything whatsoever. It gets in the way when trying to drop the radiator. I cut it off with an angle grinder and cutting wheel. It came off easily and made everything fall into place. If you do this please be careful not to cut into the radiator tank. You're working in a tight area and it could be easy to do.

Also the bolt lengths are slightly different for the body lift since it's for a ranger. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Watch you engine wiring harness, it can get a bit tight. The shift cable to the trans is tight and may need the plastic clip on the firewall moved. The steering extension MIGHT be different from what's on your explorer. The extension for the ranger has a little metal guide that protrudes that the explorer doesn't have a groove for. A grinding wheel takes care of that.

Other than that for installation instructions search on this forum for pa835 (the part number for the body lift) to help narrow your search. There are lots of good write ups for this installation.

I installed the performance accessories pa835 ranger 3" body lift on my explorer about 6 months ago. It comes with the steering extension in the kit. I didn't need extended brake lines for mine.

My explorer is also a 5.0, and there's a key detail that is difficult to find info on specifically for body lifting a 5.0. The radiator has a LOT less room so installing the radiator drop brackets are a huge pain. Be ready for that. There is a little plastic piece on the driver's side of the radiator that has seemingly no function. It doesn't support anything or have any interaction with anything whatsoever. It gets in the way when trying to drop the radiator. I cut it off with an angle grinder and cutting wheel. It came off easily and made everything fall into place. If you do this please be careful not to cut into the radiator tank. You're working in a tight area and it could be easy to do.

Also the bolt lengths are slightly different for the body lift since it's for a ranger. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Watch you engine wiring harness, it can get a bit tight. The shift cable to the trans is tight and may need the plastic clip on the firewall moved. The steering extension MIGHT be different from what's on your explorer. The extension for the ranger has a little metal guide that protrudes that the explorer doesn't have a groove for. A grinding wheel takes care of that.

Other than that for installation instructions search on this forum for pa835 (the part number for the body lift) to help narrow your search. There are lots of good write ups for this installation.
Thanks man I just finished the body lift.

Instead of running steering extension I simply drilled a new hole in my steering shaft

Also instead of dropping radiator I just dropped the shroud

The 5.0 radiator clips to the ac condenser with 3 big plastic clips huge pita to do in the truck

Instead of running steering extension I simply drilled a new hole in my steering shaft

Also instead of dropping radiator I just dropped the shroud

The 5.0 radiator clips to the ac condenser with 3 big plastic clips huge pita to do in the truck
Yeah I don't like how low the radiator hangs now. I plan on installing engine and trans mount risers to get my power train tucked back in the way it should be. In doing so it'll let me pick the radiator back up.

Yeah I don't like how low the radiator hangs now. I plan on installing engine and trans mount risers to get my power train tucked back in the way it should be. In doing so it'll let me pick the radiator back up.
Does anyone have any photos of some custom rear bumper brackets after the 3in bl?

Does anyone have any photos of some custom rear bumper brackets after the 3in bl?

I still have the bumper lift brackets that came with the body lift set I bought. I haven't installed them, and won't for that matter, but I'll get some pictures of them for you.

My problem with bumper relocation brackets is that they are for appearance only. They completely ruin the structural integrity of the bumper. They become a weak point. If you hit something they will bend and your bumper does very little to protect your vehicle. I'm going to have custom bumpers built for my explorer that will be designed to compensate for the 3in body lift, and still maintain sound structure.

I still have the bumper lift brackets that came with the body lift set I bought. I haven't installed them, and won't for that matter, but I'll get some pictures of them for you.

My problem with bumper relocation brackets is that they are for appearance only. They completely ruin the structural integrity of the bumper. They become a weak point. If you hit something they will bend and your bumper does very little to protect your vehicle. I'm going to have custom bumpers built for my explorer that will be designed to compensate for the 3in body lift, and still maintain sound structure.
Ok,I made some brackets today for it out of 1/4inch steel and it feels pretty strong to me but I have the Reese hitch and ball under it so I think that will protect my truck fairly well. I put some pictures because some members wanted to see how the bl came out in total it’s about 4in suspension lift and 3in bl on 35x12.5x15. (99 5.0,5speed 4x4)😁

3821A927-48E6-4FC7-864B-79471ED5C013.jpeg

B41E95D0-EA08-4A3D-9567-9C2A98FA0F2C.jpeg

7D6C4304-F2A8-4D0F-B929-DB3716538A8A.jpeg

056CAEC6-D026-4151-9BA5-2C6EA7309A53.jpeg

Hey guys quick question,when I finished the 3in body lift I dident mess with the radiator because I didn’t have a shroud on yet but now I just got mine from rock auto and I’m a little confused do I drop the radiator and shroud or do I just drop the shroud for it to be around the fan?

Drop the shroud

Back