3rd Gen Explorer mods | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Explorer mods

thanx for the help man i appreciate it... have u installed one of these on urs before? how hard is it to center it and how hard is it to find the paint that matches ur coat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can order your paint from paintscratch.com. You just need to get the paint code off your door jam. Or you can get it from a local dealer or local paint shop. I have one sitting in the garage ready to be installed, I'm waiting for spring to roll around before I do it. I painted mine myself. My scoop came with a template to use to make it center.

FORD EXPLORER of SCOTT DOUGLAS. THIS TRUCK HAS WON EVERYTHING, RACES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS. 66 GALLON FUEL CELL.
SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY.... $36,000. RACE IT, WIN WITH IT, WIN BIG MONEY FROM FORD IN THE Best in the Desert Race Series.
email dmspro4@aol.com
CHAMPIONSHIPRACEEXPLORER%5B2%5D.JPG

3107_BITD_jj2029.jpg

FORD EXPLORER of SCOTT DOUGLAS. THIS TRUCK HAS WON EVERYTHING, RACES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS. 66 GALLON FUEL CELL.
SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY.... $36,000. RACE IT, WIN WITH IT, WIN BIG MONEY FROM FORD IN THE Best in the Desert Race Series.
email dmspro4@aol.com

What kind of lift does it have?

This is not the proper thread for this. Make your own thread to post vehicle sales in, not in here.

Yo Rob.. So hows the beast doing!!! Can't stand the suspense man!!!

Yo Rob.. So hows the beast doing!!! Can't stand the suspense man!!!

It has been back together for a while. Got the tuning all taken care of and the fueling problem in the tune fixed. After doing all of that I discovered I had a tiny oil leak from the rear of my passenger side head. It turns out that the TSB on the 4.6 PI head vehicles with slight sealing problems around the high pressure oil port includes the 4.6 Explorers even though they aren't listed. So basically I have not added the spark timing back in or taken it to the track because I am a perfectionist and cannot have my truck dripping oil while trying to show it off. Though it isn't a big thing at all it still bothers a person like me that likes everything to be perfect before beating on things. Also oil leaks are a big safety nono at the track. My option is either pull the blower and the heads and swap to the gaskets made to fix this TSB issue or wait till this coming winter when the ported heads and blower cams will go in. I do not like rework so I plan to just leave alone and maybe run it on the street to the local events here occassionally and then tear it down this winter and do the new heads cams and nitrous. I am shooting for 700+rwhp on the juice next summer if I can afford it. Of course I will have to fab an entirely new dual 3" exhaust system from scratch to handle the power but that will not be an issue. I might run open headers dumped to straight exhaust also being that this is primarily a track vehicle now.

In the meantime I am working on the custom turbo system for my Lincoln LS. I am an STS turbo dealer now and get real attractive deals on universal systems so I will be doing that here soon. I already have the 39 lb injectors, Ford GT pump, FMIC and so on. All I need it the turbo, wastegate, oil system and piping and I will be set. I hope to have the chance to knock the LS turbo project out before winter and then tackle the X during thist winter. My goal is only 350-375rwhp on low boost.

Rob

Well im glad you got the tuning issues sorted out. I think that was a bigger issue to accomplish than whats going on with your head. That really sucks about your head as you have to take quite a bit apart, but like you said, you can just do that with the new ones going in.

Good luck with the LS project. That is going to be a real sleeper man.

I have my motor half torn apart right now. SC and valve covers are off. I retorqued my heads and cleaned up my SC from all the oil the air pump sucked through my valve covers. Im like you about being a perfectionist... I could not stand the thought of the oil being in there so I just tore it all apart, even cleaned the head ports and razored and cleaned all the surfaces, new intake gaskets etc.. I got a oil canister and routing both valve covers to it to keep all oil out of my intake. I'm now painting my valve covers as I write this.

Well I have my 8.5'' dampener, 2400 MAF, 60lbs injectors, e-water pump, Mustang ac compressor, TC, all my 8-rib pulleys. All im really left to do is get my ac compressor installed. Then get my tune and throw on the dampener, new SC pulley, injectors and MAF. I already moved my meth nozzles to the upper plenum after the SC, well it will be going on for the first time right now when I put it all back together.

Hope to get this done in the next couple weeks and see what this little M90 can do.... Then laaaater ill do the 2.3 Whipple.

Hey I want to install the TC myself. With the right manual should be doable right in my garage?

Well im glad you got the tuning issues sorted out. I think that was a bigger issue to accomplish than whats going on with your head. That really sucks about your head as you have to take quite a bit apart, but like you said, you can just do that with the new ones going in.

Good luck with the LS project. That is going to be a real sleeper man.

I have my motor half torn apart right now. SC and valve covers are off. I retorqued my heads and cleaned up my SC from all the oil the air pump sucked through my valve covers. Im like you about being a perfectionist... I could not stand the thought of the oil being in there so I just tore it all apart, even cleaned the head ports and razored and cleaned all the surfaces, new intake gaskets etc.. I got a oil canister and routing both valve covers to it to keep all oil out of my intake. I'm now painting my valve covers as I write this.

Well I have my 8.5'' dampener, 2400 MAF, 60lbs injectors, e-water pump, Mustang ac compressor, TC, all my 8-rib pulleys. All im really left to do is get my ac compressor installed. Then get my tune and throw on the dampener, new SC pulley, injectors and MAF. I already moved my meth nozzles to the upper plenum after the SC, well it will be going on for the first time right now when I put it all back together.

Hope to get this done in the next couple weeks and see what this little M90 can do.... Then laaaater ill do the 2.3 Whipple.

Hey I want to install the TC myself. With the right manual should be doable right in my garage?

Installing a higher stall TC into your truck will be a piece of cake. Just undo the driveshaft and drop it out. Undo all trans electronics to get them out of the way. Put a jack under your tranny as you remove all the bellhousing bolts. Go to the drivers side plug in your rear of your engine and pull the plug to access the TC nuts. Undo them and then remove your trans mount and the crossmember and drop the trans out. Pull the TC straight off and then fill the new one with trans fluid then replace carefully into the tranny and reverse process. Once you get into it you will find it is not hard to do.

Installing a higher stall TC into your truck will be a piece of cake. Just undo the driveshaft and drop it out. Undo all trans electronics to get them out of the way. Put a jack under your tranny as you remove all the bellhousing bolts. Go to the drivers side plug in your rear of your engine and pull the plug to access the TC nuts. Undo them and then remove your trans mount and the crossmember and drop the trans out. Pull the TC straight off and then fill the new one with trans fluid then replace carefully into the tranny and reverse process. Once you get into it you will find it is not hard to do.

Thanks for the tips Rob. Glad to know it will be easy.

So I take it you drove your beast. How many #'s and how did it feel?

Thanks for the tips Rob. Glad to know it will be easy.

So I take it you drove your beast. How many #'s and how did it feel?

No numbers as I do not tune on a dyno due to load inaccuracies. I have only drove it to tune it so I have only had it doing second gear pulls on the road. Even then once I got the fueling dialed in it pulled pretty well. Keep in mind that this was with 5 degrees timing pulled globally for tuning purposes (makes it a total dog) as well as starting from second gear. At 17 psi that Kenne Bell does scream. :D On a first gear pull it will scream even more.

No numbers as I do not tune on a dyno due to load inaccuracies. I have only drove it to tune it so I have only had it doing second gear pulls on the road. Even then once I got the fueling dialed in it pulled pretty well. Keep in mind that this was with 5 degrees timing pulled globally for tuning purposes (makes it a total dog) as well as starting from second gear. At 17 psi that Kenne Bell does scream. :D On a first gear pull it will scream even more.

Yeah 5 degrees is a night and day difference. When I was street tuning a Blackwood 2 degree difference was the difference if it would smoke the tires off the line to not even break them loose.

I'm glad you brought up the tuning subject. I have always wondered if it would be better to tune on a dyno or on the street. I have personally always like the street also due to the fact that you get accurate load and real life driving conditions. I have always felt that dyno numbers could just be almost inflated numbers from tuning in an almost perfect weather, and that the timing set on a dyno can be catastrophic once you hit the street.

I'll also be doing street tuning with Lonnie and then just go to a dyno to get the numbers.

Is that what you will basically do? Or do you think you will still tweak some on a dyno?

Yeah 5 degrees is a night and day difference. When I was street tuning a Blackwood 2 degree difference was the difference if it would smoke the tires off the line to not even break them loose.

I'm glad you brought up the tuning subject. I have always wondered if it would be better to tune on a dyno or on the street. I have personally always like the street also due to the fact that you get accurate load and real life driving conditions. I have always felt that dyno numbers could just be almost inflated numbers from tuning in an almost perfect weather, and that the timing set on a dyno can be catastrophic once you hit the street.

I'll also be doing street tuning with Lonnie and then just go to a dyno to get the numbers.

Is that what you will basically do? Or do you think you will still tweak some on a dyno?

No tweaking on the dyno. The only reason I will put the truck on a dyno is maybe for a local dyno day to see what kind of numbers it puts down.

No tweaking on the dyno. The only reason I will put the truck on a dyno is maybe for a local dyno day to see what kind of numbers it puts down.

:thumbsup:

Back