3rd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator Tail Light Compatability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviator Tail Light Compatability

Mr Dubya

Elite Wannabe Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer Ltd. 4.6L V8
Hi Folks,

I'm doing some research on our third gen tail lights, and ultimately my goal is to swap my factory explorer lights with factory mountaineer lights. I'm not much of a fan of the aftermarket options (too distracting, and doesn't blend well enough).

I understand as long as we stay within the generation (not venturing in to the fourth gen lights where a little bit of wiring has to be modded), it's a simple operation.

I have two things I'd like to see if anyone knows:

1) Are the stock mountaineer tail-light chrome bezels able to be mounted on stock explorer tail lights and be 'key-word': flush with the body? Or are mountaineer tail lights recessed slightly so the thickness of the bezel comes out to their body?

2) A little more elusive question: Are aviator tail lights capable of being swapped with explorers and mountaineers? I'm only referring to the outer tail light (they come in an inner and outer set). Same question about chrome bezel flush-ness applies.

Ultimately I will probably be going with the mountaineer tail lights even if the bezels can be swapped and are flush (unless aviator's can happen). The reverse-light area is a bit larger and has cleaner corners than the explorer, I think.

-Dubya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mountaineers taillights are recessed for the "grill" on them, they look terrible with out them, theres notches to align the trim and holes in the sides, so no go for them. not sure about the rest

Mountaineers taillights are recessed for the "grill" on them, they look terrible with out them, theres notches to align the trim and holes in the sides, so no go for them. not sure about the rest

Thanks for the reply. Strangely enough I just got the answer to that myself the other day at the junkyard. However, contrary to everything I've heard, they fit just great for me when I picked up a nice pair off a totalled mountaineer. I'll have to do some splicing in of a third light like we do for the 4th gen tail lights, but as for fitment they're great:

ForumRunner_20121201_113948.png

ForumRunner_20121201_114007.png

ForumRunner_20121201_114458.png

Hope the pictures aren't oversized, I'm trying the attachment feature on the mobile app.

Pictures are good size & the tails look great.

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

I have been interested in this for a little while now, just never did any research on it! So there a two brake light/turn signal bulbs in those housings, aside from the back-up lamps? I like the way thay look as well due to the "grill" aspect of it, just never like I said, have not gotten around to actually doing anything yet!:biggthump

I have been interested in this for a little while now, just never did any research on it! So there a two brake light/turn signal bulbs in those housings, aside from the back-up lamps? I like the way thay look as well due to the "grill" aspect of it, just never like I said, have not gotten around to actually doing anything yet!:biggthump

Thanks, I've been crazy about those mountaineer tail lights too. My understanding is that aside from the reverse lamp, there are two in the red housings. What their function is I haven't looked up yet (im sure someone here knows). I'll provide a picture of the back of the light at the close of the weekend. Stay tuned.

My biggest challenge will be finding it out what to splice and where. My blind guess is that it'll be the same as 4th gen tails on our 3rd gens, which a few on here have done.

My biggest challenge will be finding it out what to splice and where. My blind guess is that it'll be the same as 4th gen tails on our 3rd gens, which a few on here have done.

Check your PM. ;):thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. Strangely enough I just got the answer to that myself the other day at the junkyard. However, contrary to everything I've heard, they fit just great for me when I picked up a nice pair off a totalled mountaineer. I'll have to do some splicing in of a third light like we do for the 4th gen tail lights, but as for fitment they're great:

View attachment 71895

View attachment 71896

View attachment 71897
So I’m interested in doing the same thing to my 04 explorer and just wanna ask ya did ya have to do anything special to your explorer to make the mountaineer ones fit?

Back