Photos - 3rd gen pic's | Page 254 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IMAG0139.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked up our (new to us) 2004 Ex last week. Wife's grandparents old rig, had a set of mudflaps in the back that I put on yesterday. She has 57000 miles and runs perfectly, and we both really enjoy driving it. It's the base model with the 4.0, tow package, and cloth interior. I have a few questions for you guys.

1. Can I drop the dyno oil and put in straight synthetic?
2. What's this vin K thing I see here and there regarding engine problems?
3. I want a grill guard (light mount), what's decent and not too expensive?
4. What're some good initial mods to do?

Thanks!

14449356592_fc38d7baa3_b.jpg

:mad: :( Friday night was a bad night for my explorer.
CAM03710_zps298de28c.jpg
CAM03712_zpsd60ae805.jpg
CAM03714_zps8a3de9ac.jpg
CAM03717_zps539afda0.jpg
CAM03716_zps73d41ad6.jpg

What happened?? That sucks man, you just got those wheels like 2-3 months ago!

Looks like a worse night for the car. I am impressed with how little damage there is, makes me feel better about driving a gas-hog around.

Yeah it held up pretty well! I was impressed since the other car was pretty beat up. She ran the light to make a left turn onto i-10 and it was too late. Im just a little soar from stiffening my arms and legs for impact but thats it. The whole back hatch got blown out aswell since i had another set of rims in the trunk that slammed forward, bent the back seat forward a little, then were sling-shotted out of the back hatch. Still waiting to hear from her insurance company about what all is going to happen with it :banghead:

Looks like a worse night for the car. I am impressed with how little damage there is, makes me feel better about driving a gas-hog around.

I agree 100% Glad you're okay! :thumbsup:

Here's our new (to us) '02 XLS. We needed a 'new' vehicle last August and my wife wanted an SUV. She saw the Explorer and loved it! When we got her she had around 151,x.., and to date we've only put around 5,000 more on it. With the exception of the infamous "door ajar" problem which I fixed, and the rear end whine, I love it! Plus, it has an alarm w/remote start installed. :)

Here a re a few pics from when we got her. Everything you see was on it from day one.
HPIM2563nlp_zps423564ea.jpg

HPIM2564nlp_zpsf8c64f0e.jpg

Only things I've added so far are:
Go Rhino push bar
_MG_0714_zps185ac6f9.jpg

_MG_0715_zpsf938f52e.jpg

Panasonic Radio w/iPod controls and my old Scan Gauge
_MG_0712_zps43367089.jpg

I know it's not much, but it's a start. :D Near future plans (when the funds are available...lol) are: BWM, body lift, 265/75/16's, and some tasteful exterior lights.

You should color match the front and rear bumpers, it will make it look 10000% nicer.

Jaxjag, let us know what happens with insurance. I want your wheels and tires lol

You should color match the front and rear bumpers, it will make it look 10000% nicer.

I totally agree! I'm planning on doing a swap to an XLT front to have lower fog lights. Once I do, I'm going to paint everything to match. :D

On a side note, I noticed on GoodWillHuntting and rangermidtn's Explorers...they have no moldings on the fenders, and the fronts look a little different than some of the other XLT front's I've seen. Were there different types on different years/models? :scratch:

Thanks!

Jaxjag, let us know what happens with insurance. I want your wheels and tires lol

When my 3rd gen got totaled, once it got dropped off in the yard, all I could do was retrieve easy to remove items from inside the truck....no jacking up or wrenching (yard policy). So that meant my wheels, tires, regeared diffs, locker, rocksliders, and BTF upper control arms all got scrapped. Fortunately, the at fault person's insurance made good on the value for those (at the request of their policyholder). My own insurance would only pay for the value of the vehicle itself at the time.

Here's my work in progress, 265/75/16 gooyear duratracs and BTF Spacer lift in the next few weeks. Everything I've done is courtesy of the forum. Any suggestions?
FF4811C5-57D4-4162-A74D-83A73BDEE0CA_zps9tlewdf7.jpg

I totally agree! I'm planning on doing a swap to an XLT front to have lower fog lights. Once I do, I'm going to paint everything to match. :D

On a side note, I noticed on GoodWillHuntting and rangermidtn's Explorers...they have no moldings on the fenders, and the fronts look a little different than some of the other XLT front's I've seen. Were there different types on different years/models? :scratch:

Thanks!

Like this? Mine is an 04 XLT, v6. no door/fender moldings. aside from the thin door strip. Most if not all XLTs have the bulky door moldings that are a solid piece on the bottom 8 or so inches of door.

IMG_0480.jpg

Yes wbrudi28, that's exactly the one! As clean as your truck looks, I think I'd have to do the swap with the 'bulky' looking one that lines up with my fender moldings. Unless...I remove them all, and go another route...hmmm! ;)

Here's my work in progress, 265/75/16 gooyear duratracs and BTF Spacer lift in the next few weeks. Everything I've done is courtesy of the forum. Any suggestions?
FF4811C5-57D4-4162-A74D-83A73BDEE0CA_zps9tlewdf7.jpg

My first recommendation would be to look into darkening your headlight housings and corner lights as much as possible - it'll help stretch out the look of the dark grill and make the FORD text a bit more of a balanced focus point.

Then perhaps swapping the front bumper to a foglight equipped one, again to help support the look of the FORD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first recommendation would be to look into darkening your headlight housings and corner lights as much as possible - it'll help stretch out the look of the dark grill and make the FORD text a bit more of a balanced focus point.

Then perhaps swapping the front bumper to a foglight equipped one, again to help support the look of the FORD.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did separate and paint the headlight housing, but it did nothing (obviously) for the side marker lights. I wasn't sure if I should use niteshade on the front lights or if I should replace the corner lights with some amazon ones. I can't seem to find any black side lights only, they seem to come in a package or not at all. As for the bumper, I've been yard hopping and found one that's a different color, anyone had any luk with the duplicolor perfect match paint?

Back