3rd gen steering wheel play | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd gen steering wheel play

diegoexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
(Greater) Florianópolis, Santa Catarina (Brazil)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4.0 Limited

My Explorer 2005 is 96K mi right now. I adjusted the steering wheel height a month ago, since then I noticed the steering wheel started showing some play, as in the video.

I changed my tires just after that, did the alignment and replaced the front upper ball joints. So, I know that there is no play at the steering and front ends. One of the tie rod end was replaced 7k miles ago.

I few no difference when making turns, thus I guessed it should be the steering wheel bolt.

I removed the steering wheel cover and tried to tighten the bolt a little bit without forcing it, but it looked like it was not the bolt. As I did it very, very softly without applying too much pressure, I am not sure anymore. It looks, however, that the looseness comes from beyond the bold.

I have an old Ford workshop manual for that vehicle. After analyzing the manual, I started to think about the steering linkage. But there is not much information there about how to solve the problem.

Do you have any idea what is the root of the problem?

Other problems:

10k mi ago the airbag light started to flash. The ForScan tool shows it to be in the driver-side airbag. I ordered a new Motorcraft clock spring (the last one available in Brazil).

Now the cruise control button only works occasionally; I believe it is related to the clock spring too.

I do most of the services in that truck myself. It is hard to find competent mechanics to work on these Fords here. Before changing the clock spring, I want to check what is the cause for the looseness of the steering wheel. Thus, I can disassemble those parts only once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, Rick, for your suggestion! I can't find anything related to that in the workshop manual. Do you know any video showing the replacement of that part?

It also looks to be an expensive part. Would it be unsafe to drive the truck this way until I found the part? I think I need to investigate it more before ordering it to my country.

The link you sent me looks to be for the 4th Gen. Is it right? Mine is a 3rd gen. 2004/2005.

Thanks again!

Sorry for the mistake in model year. I think this is the correct part:
Amazon product ASIN B0C9QY7XPN
I hope someone who owns a thrid gen will see this and confirm.

In this video his u-joint was frozen. I believe your may be loose. If you have someone turn the wheel while you observe, the shaft you should be able to tell if it's worn out. Video of this 2007 should be similar to your 2004.

Sorry for the mistake in model year. I think this is the correct part:
Amazon product ASIN B0C9QY7XPN
I hope someone who owns a thrid gen will see this and confirm.
Rick, thank you again!

I did a vídeo of the lower steering shaft section while one of my kids was turning and shaking the steering wheel.

There are no loosening signs in this area, but, in my model, it looks like the U-joint is covered by some plastic. I took a picture of that.

IMG_20230920_151719_493.jpg

Despite that cover, I guess the looseness is inside the cabin. I remember shaking the steering wheel while looking at the upper steering column (below the dashboard) two weeks ago, and the looseness appeared to come from within the column, in the area closest to the steering wheel. That was I guessed it could be the bolt.

P.S. It is a shame my engine bay looks so dirty, but I found it to be safer to not wash it in an old truck like that. 😶

I made another small video showing the upper steering column shaft inside the cabin while I was turning and shaking the steering wheel.

It looks like the looseness comes from an area above the shaft. I also did the process of turning and shaking the steering wheel while I was holding the shaft. I am very confused now.

3524.png

That is the area shown in the video. But I believe that problem is in some place here:
steering-wheel.png

Any other suggestions would be very welcomed!

Does anyone know what is the correct part number for the steering wheel bolt?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm having problems with the horn in my truck. Since it could be linked to a defective clock spring, I disassembled the steering wheel parts this morning. So, I could take a better look what’s is going inside the column area.

As you can see in the video, the looseness is coming from inside the column. Is there any option for repairing it without replacing the entire column?

Any idea?

OP, I have the same thing on my 04. Not as bad though. Mine moves in & out. Unfortunately there is nothing you can fix with parts. It's an assembly & steering column replacement is the only option.
The problem is no one makes a new one. Your options are a used column that may have the same problem, or someplace that rebuilds them, but again I don't know how they will rebuild that part.

OP, I have the same thing on my 04. Not as bad though. Mine moves in & out. Unfortunately there is nothing you can fix with parts. It's an assembly & steering column replacement is the only option.
The problem is no one makes a new one. Your options are a used column that may have the same problem, or someplace that rebuilds them, but again I don't know how they will rebuild that part.

Thank you, Jason! That is sad.
I believe this problem is damaging the electrical components in the steering wheel. I know that older Fords had a similar problem, but you can find a repair kit for that.

Do you know the numbers or the proper name for the entire assembly? It will be virtually impossible to find it in Brazil tho. ☹️

Steering column. All I know it as. Any from 02-05 should bolt in. Since you have it apart, maybe try to match up a thick rubber o-ring to wedge in there.

Steering column. All I know it as. Any from 02-05 should bolt in. Since you have it apart, maybe try to match up a thick rubber o-ring to wedge in there.
The o-ring idea is very interesting. Thank you for that, Json!

It has a plastic ring with small teeth on the edges. Is it okay to pry it out? I know my question must sound idiot, but… I don’t want to make it worse.

I will order some o-rings of different sizes to see what best fits in there.

I'm only guessing. I have not torn mine a part. I'm just leaving it. Doesn't seem to be dangerous. And it's not a daily driver anyway.

Back