3rd high brake light not working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd high brake light not working

I told you in the earlier post that it's fuse number 2.

If you want to rule out the light being bad, run a piece of wire from the battery and go direct to the lamp. If you have an extra battery take it right back there and you can check it with two- three foot pieces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I told you in the earlier post that it's fuse number 2.

If you want to rule out the light being bad, run a piece of wire from the battery and go direct to the lamp. If you have an extra battery take it right back there and you can check it with two- three foot pieces.

yes ive done that and it works, but i need to rectify where exactly the problem was and this is my last option just to bypass it and make another relay with fuse to activate the ballast....

that's great... cause normally people have a "bad something" and ford charges big bucks for the "something" (bulb / ballast).... cable routing in autos is never fun. manuals don't give much details and most people never go thru the wiring routes because it is such a hassle once the vehicle is built. Its a "long way" from the fuse block to the back light... :-(

Budwich is right. It's a long way to that light.

I'd still take a known "good" fuse and replace the fuse for the light. The fuse could be bad. If that's not it and you have power at the fuse block you'll need to look at the wiring schematic for that vehicle and see where the wire runs.

As a "long shot", I would go on the back of the fuse block (just as ugly... I know) and see if I actually get voltage out the back (DG wire in 96 .... pin 569 which probably isn't going to help much... if I am reading things right about the connector there in). Your problem could be as simple as the "punch in" termination (ie. spade) is no longer making contact with the fuse holder... its an ugly area and you could make things worse just by going in there.

Anyways, just a thought. I hate things that are broken that can't get put back to the way they were designed.

I'd still take a known "good" fuse and replace the fuse for the light. The fuse could be bad. If that's not it and you have power at the fuse block you'll need to look at the wiring schematic for that vehicle and see where the wire runs.

The "truck cd" pictures for wire routing are really ugly because of the mono color and attempted "3d" on a "2d" media. Even the connector near the high brake light isn't broken down (pinouts) at least on my copy... slight omission... :-( of course, its probably a simple connector that doesn't need breaking out (I personally haven't seen the actual connector)

Here is a good source for schematics:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

I fixed mine with a used ballast from someone here on the forum. New parts from dealer are ridiculously expensive. There are instructions on forum for LED replacement, plus I have seen a vendor selling the completed lights using LEDs. Both solutions eliminate need for ballast/neon lighting.

my friend is it possible if you can post a picture of this fuse block you wer talking about, just curious because here in australia wer RHD and maybe i got confused....

on my explorer the fusebox is on RH side of the dashboard, soon you open the
RH door you will see the cover on side dashboard... and if you do get the picture of this fuse block, do you mind let me know which fuse are we talking about regarding the 3rd brake light? on my explorer doesnt have a listing which is which and i dont have a service manual book or owners manual...

please if that possible probably will help me a lot.... thanks!

Here is a good source for schematics:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

I fixed mine with a used ballast from someone here on the forum. New parts from dealer are ridiculously expensive. There are instructions on forum for LED replacement, plus I have seen a vendor selling the completed lights using LEDs. Both solutions eliminate need for ballast/neon lighting.

thanks ill check it out but i hope this site wont ask for credit card just to sign up... ;)

You have the right one. As you're facing the vehicle from the front, it's behind the right side door. I'n your fuse block the fuses are numbered. Look at the fuse above the number 2. It should be a 7.5 amp fuse. It will be the top row, the second fuse over from the left. If your lucky it's blown.

I took my first explorer to a shop to get it inspected back a few years. They told me it failed because the third brake light was not working. They gave me an estimate for 400 dollars. I took the vehicle home to trouble shoot it, only to find the fuse was gone. This after I had the light half out but decided to check a few things. I talked to the shop manager and he told me they should have checked the fuse before giving me an estimate. Now I can't say for sure they did it, but it passed the year before.

my friend is it possible if you can post a picture of this fuse block you wer talking about, just curious because here in australia wer RHD and maybe i got confused....

on my explorer the fusebox is on RH side of the dashboard, soon you open the
RH door you will see the cover on side dashboard... and if you do get the picture of this fuse block, do you mind let me know which fuse are we talking about regarding the 3rd brake light? on my explorer doesnt have a listing which is which and i dont have a service manual book or owners manual...

please if that possible probably will help me a lot.... thanks!

Finally got around to checking my 3rd Brake light. Found out it is the ballast! Power going in one end, but not out the other! Thanks to help from a friend going down to U Pull It and grabbing another one!

Finally got around to checking my 3rd Brake light. Found out it is the ballast! Power going in one end, but not out the other! Thanks to help from a friend going down to U Pull It and grabbing another one!

common problem of this 3rd brake light is the ballast and thats the first thing you check before start buying the flouro light (neon)...
i did checked mine but i dont have power goin thu the ballast but i manage to bypassed it then it works....

hope all this conversation gives you an idea how to check from the start...

cheers...!;)

Why do people really care about the third brake light so much?

I care about my 3rd brakelight because I have been pulled over for it being out, and was told to get it fixed or I may get a ticket in the future! For now I just want a ballast instead of LED just because it is only a $5 fix and its quick and easy!

Thanks

Why do people really care about the third brake light so much?

I guess it depends, here in our country 3rd brake light are compulsary and yeah you'll get a fine for not having one or broken or not working.... ;)

Back