3rd Row Dome / Cargo Light Stays On | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Dome / Cargo Light Stays On

Okay, I tried my cargo area dome light. I got into the vehicle and waited for all the interior lights to go OFF. Then I turned the dome light ON and was able to turn it OFF. Got out and waited for the interior lights to go out and they did, including the dome light. That is the way it is supposed to work is it not?
In reading one of the posts it seems that the dome light was turned ON by its switch and then the door/liftgate was closed and the light stayed on. This is what I would expect it to do since it wasn't turned OFF with its switch before closing the door/liftgate. It is no different than turning your map light on and then closing the door. The light will stay on because it was switched ON. In either case, the lights will turn OFF automatically after 10 minutes when the Power Saver feature kicks in. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a problem here.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe its the 10 min wait, I know there is a fuse you can pull under the dash that will turn them off

maybe its the 10 min wait, I know there is a fuse you can pull under the dash that will turn them off
From what I experienced this morning there is no reason to wait. If you turn it ON with the switch and then turn it OFF with the switch it will go OFF when you close the door/hatch. I think the issue is that people expect it to go OFF right away but that won't happen until the door is closed and it should turn OFF along with the other interior lights. At least that is the way mine works.

Peter

:Dyou can also close the latches with a pen with the doors open so the car thinks theyre closed

:Dyou can also close the latches with a pen with the doors open so the car thinks theyre closed
Might be an idea for those who still go to drive-ins.;)

On my 2012 limited I did not have to start engine, just got in the back and waited for all other lights to go off then push button switch and it went off. when it was on the battery saver would turn it off after about 10 minutes with engine off, otherwise it stayed on all the time.

On my 2012 limited I did not have to start engine, just got in the back and waited for all other lights to go off then push button switch and it went off. when it was on the battery saver would turn it off after about 10 minutes with engine off, otherwise it stayed on all the time.
If you turned it ON initially with its own switch you shouldn't have to wait until the other lights go OFF. Just hit the switch and it should go off when the others do. The reason it doesn't go OFF right away is because it is in 'courtesy light' mode after you switch it off from the 'manual' ON.

If you turned it ON initially with its own switch you shouldn't have to wait until the other lights go OFF. Just hit the switch and it should go off when the others do. The reason it doesn't go OFF right away is because it is in 'courtesy light' mode after you switch it off from the 'manual' ON.
For whatever reason that did not work like you stated only when I did like I said. I tried all sorts of different ways

Perhaps Ford made changes to the system. I never tried it on the 2011 Limited I had. As the only occupant, the only interior light I've used a few times is the driver's map light.

Peter

Okay, I tried my cargo area dome light. I got into the vehicle and waited for all the interior lights to go OFF. Then I turned the dome light ON and was able to turn it OFF. Got out and waited for the interior lights to go out and they did, including the dome light. That is the way it is supposed to work is it not?
In reading one of the posts it seems that the dome light was turned ON by its switch and then the door/liftgate was closed and the light stayed on. This is what I would expect it to do since it wasn't turned OFF with its switch before closing the door/liftgate. It is no different than turning your map light on and then closing the door. The light will stay on because it was switched ON. In either case, the lights will turn OFF automatically after 10 minutes when the Power Saver feature kicks in. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a problem here.

Peter
In my situation I think while driving one of the kids turned it on. I began to notice at nights in garage the light was on. Turning it off at the light in back or switch up front would not turn it off. Once I did what I posted above it turned off. Seems to be set to the current state as normal once car is cycled, computer thinks that is how u want it. Go through the cycle again to shut it off. And yes the double horn beep is what I was referring to on the other issue. I leave keys in car in garage. Say I unload groceries out of back and try to shut hatch, hatch stops and horn beeps twice LOUD. not good at midnight. Have to manually push button on remote to close latch because then it knows you know where the keys are. I know why they do it, but tone down the decibels man. I'm right here as it screams at me.

Okay I did some further testing on my 2017. I started the vehicle, climbed in back, waited for the interior lights to go out and then turned ON the 3rd row cargo light. I then got out and turned the vehicle off. The interior lights went out but the cargo light stayed ON. I got back in and pressed the cargo light switch and when the interior lights went out the cargo light indeed remained on. I climbed back inside, waited for the interior lights to go off and then pressed the cargo light switch and it went OFF. There was no need to start and stop the engine. Also, when I did the test again that left the cargo light ON I left it that way and went back in the house. About 15 minutes later I checked and the light was OFF. The light was turned off by the Battery Saver program that kicks in after 10 minutes or so. If yours stayed on then there is a problem as the Battery Saver program should have turned it OFF. Of course I then had to get back inside, wait for the interior lights to go off leaving the cargo light ON and then turned it OFF with its switch.
So bottom line is that there was no need to start the vehicle in order to get the light to go OFF and the Battery Saver feature will turn the light OFF after approx. 10 minutes.

Also, as previously requested, please complete your registration by adding the requested/required "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be very useful info at times. Thank you.

Peter

So glad I'm not the only one that has this problem?! Mainly that it's not just my singular vehicle.
I noticed that this happened before and couldn't figure out why.
I'm currently in this situation and have been attempting for 2 days to get it to turn off.
My son had been riding in the second row, but recently had to move to the 3rd when this issue started. I've tried standing outside of my vehicle from the hatch and the driver seat back door.
I now know I'll will have to be inside of the car (or have kid do it while inside).

Thanks for the thread/Forum

So glad I'm not the only one that has this problem?! Mainly that it's not just my singular vehicle.
I noticed that this happened before and couldn't figure out why.
I'm currently in this situation and have been attempting for 2 days to get it to turn off.
My son had been riding in the second row, but recently had to move to the 3rd when this issue started. I've tried standing outside of my vehicle from the hatch and the driver seat back door.
I now know I'll will have to be inside of the car (or have kid do it while inside).

Thanks for the thread/Forum
Welcome to the Forum Adrian, Hailee.:wave:

Peter

That worked. Thanks!

This work for me also, thanks!

However, I would add that just closing all the doors didn’t do it. I also had to lock myself in with the key fob and then press the button on the dome light.

You need to start the engine then press the 3rd row dome light button to turn it off. Maybe also aux power but I did not try
When you say press the dome light button do you mean the one on the light it’s self in the cargo area? What do you mean about the aux power? The light is all the whole drive

When you say press the dome light button do you mean the one on the light it’s self in the cargo area? What do you mean about the aux power? The light is all the whole drive
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe when he mentioned "aux power" he may have meant accessory power. In your last sentence did you mean to say that the light is ON the whole time you are driving? If so, did you try what I mentioned in post #51 above?

Peter

On my 2014 limited, recently the 3rd row overhead dome light is always on while the car is running. It will shut off about 10min after the car is shut off, thankfully, but it's always on of the car is running, no matter the position of any switch or anything. It's been doing this

It would seem to maybe be a hatch open sensor or something else? Any ideas here?

On my 2014 limited, recently the 3rd row overhead dome light is always on while the car is running. It will shut off about 10min after the car is shut off, thankfully, but it's always on of the car is running, no matter the position of any switch or anything. It's been doing this

It would seem to maybe be a hatch open sensor or something else? Any ideas here?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Seach' feature at the upper right.
Check posts #2 and #41 and see if that might help at all. The reason it turns OFF after 10 minutes is due to the Battery Saver Program kicking in.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Seach' feature at the upper right.
Check posts #2 and #41 and see if that might help at all. The reason it turns OFF after 10 minutes is due to the Battery Saver Program kicking in.

Peter
Thank you. I feel kinda dumb. Just had to get in the car, put it in power all the way on mode, hit the dome light button, and it went off. Not sure how I didn't try that before. (Pretty sure I did try that before, but it worked this time!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, can any one please let me know how to fix Ford explorer 2014 XLT rear cargo interior light is keeps turn on and goes off automatically after an hour or so. All other interior lights goes off except rear cargo one, which is back 3rd rows seat roof.

Back